GT210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

First post, first computer build of any kind. I've been researching for a few weeks but I am still a little overwhelmed by the amount of possible options. Any help/experience/suggestions massively appreciated.

The requirements:

Silent, silent silent.
Will run Snow Leopard/Logic 9 or Lion/Logic 9 in a completely stable fashion.
Mini-ATX or mid-ATX size.
£500/$800-ish total.

Doesn't need to be super fast, as long as it's faster than my Macbook Core2Duo.
No fancy graphics needed, I don't game or do 3d. Maybe some light video editing at some point. I am aware that Snow Leopard isn't good for the hd3000/4000 graphics.
Not watercooled.
Built-in audio is of no consequence as I will be using a separate interface for that.

Already own:
Snow Leopard and Lion - I could be persuaded to go with Lion once I'm fully confident of it's stability with Logic 9, still looking into that.
Mouse, keyboard, monitor.
Motu Microbook USB2 audio interface.
Logic 9.

At the moment I'm looking at the Sandybridge Customac budget build and thinking of changing it for more silent running. The Customac mini looks very cool as well!

Ideally I'd like to use the most vanilla, hassle free install possible. I'm not afraid of a little tinkering, as long as the end result is rock solid. I am not the type to be running every upgrade, once I get a solid system I'll stick with it.

Are there any compelling reasons to wait a couple of months and see what transpires with Ivy Bridge and Mountain Lion developments? Wait for the Ivy Bridge Customac recommended builds?

Should I just buy a Mac Mini and be done with it? I have heard that they can get pretty noisy when the fans spin up. Also, recent ones can't run Snow Leopard.

Sorry if this is all a bit too vague, I realize I haven't named one specific piece of hardware. I really am looking for help getting started! Many thanks,

Tom

I haven't named one specific piece of hardware
Then please try it.

It would be better to take a look at the Sandy Bridge builds. I can't comment on Ibvy Bridge until there's no CustoMac Builds with these components.

User Builds, Golden Builds... these things are very helpful for newbies. ;)

Mate94 said:
Then please try it.

It would be better to take a look at the Sandy Bridge builds. I can't comment on Ibvy Bridge until there's no CustoMac Builds with these components.

OK, fair enough. A standard starting point seems to be:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Fastest processor I can afford after getting a silenced case and lots of big fans and heatsinks etc.

If I end up going with Snow Leopard then I'll need to factor in a cheap-but-silent graphics card as well? What's recommended?

tom_android said:
Mate94 said:
Then please try it.

OK, fair enough. A standard starting point seems to be:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Fastest processor I can afford after getting a silenced case and lots of big fans and heatsinks etc.

If I end up going with Snow Leopard then I'll need to factor in a cheap-but-silent graphics card as well? What's recommended?
Recommended to go with Lion or Mountain Lion. It's like you want to install Windows XP in these days when better OSes available. Therefore I recommend a HIS HD6450. Works on Lion and probably will on Mountain Lion too.

Mate94 said:
Recommended to go with Lion or Mountain Lion. It's like you want to install Windows XP in these days when better OSes available. Therefore I recommend a HIS HD6450. Works on Lion and probably will on Mountain Lion too.

Key factor is stability when running Logic 9. The current consensus is that Snow Leopard is still the preferred option.

If I was to go with Lion then a separate graphics card wouldn't be necessary, could just go for hd3000.

So I am asking what the graphics situation is on Snow Leopard? Is it possible to get hd3000/4000 running ok on Snow Leopard? If not, which graphics cards could be recommended?

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/building-sandy-bridge-customac.html

Build one uses hd3000 graphics and was originally designed for 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. So I guess it works ok then? I am confused.

tom_android said:
Mate94 said:

Key factor is stability when running Logic 9. The current consensus is that Snow Leopard is still the preferred option.

If I was to go with Lion then a separate graphics card wouldn't be necessary, could just go for hd3000.

So I am asking what the graphics situation is on Snow Leopard? Is it possible to get hd3000/4000 running ok on Snow Leopard? If not, which graphics cards could be recommended?

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/building-sandy-bridge-customac.html

Build one uses hd3000 graphics and was originally designed for 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. So I guess it works ok then? I am confused.

HD3000 only works on Lion and now it will work on ML. HD4000 the same.
The HD6450 which I've suggested not working on SL, so a GT210/GT240 from nVidia would be clever choice.

Mate94 said:
The HD6450 which I've suggested not working on SL, so a GT210/GT240 from nVidia would be clever choice.

Ah thanks, the GT210 looks great. It's passively cooled, so no fan noise to worry about and also it's cheap!

tom_android said:
Mate94 said:

Ah thanks, the GT210 looks great. It's passively cooled, so no fan noise to worry about and also it's cheap!
Pay attention on the amount of the RAM size on the card. Only 512MB ones work. ;)

Ok, this is not true. Seems like a lot of us use 1GB ones. Take a look at on the User Builds to see which working

Mate94 said:
tom_android said:
Mate94 said:

Pay attention on the amount of the RAM size on the card. Only 512MB ones work. ;)

OK so here's a question that really does show off my noobishness; do I have to buy the 512mb of ddr3 ram separately and fit it myself, then?

tom_android said:
OK so here's a question that really does show off my noobishness; do I have to buy the 512mb of ddr3 ram separately and fit it myself, then?

No. Graphics cards come with the ram installed. The description is just telling you what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back