Register

Sign in app store issues after 10.6.8 & Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
:headbang:

Thx a lot eelhead !!

It solves 2 problems to me :

- apple store , I need windows connector for my new windows mobile devide
-TeamViewer , couldn conect to master server to get ID , so imposible to use it over network

Actually using 10.6.8

eelhead said:
This is after updating to 10.6.8

Ok for the app store sign in issues here is a simple fix.

First go to Extra folder and check your com.apple.Boot.plist (or Library/Preferences/System Configuration if its not in extra folder)
to make sure that this string is in it,

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

If it isn't add it restart and see if that fixes it.

You'll want to highlight each one and remove it by clicking the - tab at bottom of box.

Then go to,
Library/Preferences/System Configuration
and delete or place on desktop the NetworkInterfaces.plist

Then restart system.

After you restart you will want to go back to System Preferences/Network and
add all the things you removed starting with ethernet.

adding the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

Then remove the NetworkInterfaces.plist and rebooted

What I had noticed is that the ethernet was labeled en0 and Airport card was en1 and after update the numbers got switched. It was only switched in the NetworkInterfaces.plist but stayed the same in every other settings so it was give conflicting things while trying to log into the app store.

Thanks Lnx2mac :D

Thanks it worked!!!! Finally!

I had luck solving this problem by installing an inexpensive ethernet card and not using the onboard mobo network device. After installing, I opened MultiBeast and loaded the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet for 2.0.6 kext for 10.7. Rebooted and logged into iCloud and App Store no problem.

-Eddie

Mac Pro
Early 2008 Build
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
2.67 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)
HP DVD Writer 1040d
2-Apple Cinema Display 20-inch? (1680 x 1050)

I have to say this has been the MOST Frustrating experience. Especially working on this for 24-48 hours over 2 months. Reading all the "It Worked" comments makes it SO MUCH MORE FRUSTRATING.

I want to list the components of my PC first, as "it works" posts, and not knowing the hardware is no value add to anyone.
OS SL 10.6.8
Mobo Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L v2.4
onboard LAN AR8131 with kext AtherosL1cEthernet.kext

I tried every possible trick in many websites. PCIRootUID=1 DO NOT USE ON THIS BOARD. You will loose the OS at boot. Reinstalling is only option.

EFI Studio was the only trick and option that worked. Here are the steps:
1. launch studio and Select device "Ethernet"
2. Click Add Device
3. click write to com.apple.boot.plist
4. Now click boot.plist editor from EFI Studio
5. change drop down to device-properties (rebooting @ step3 may be an option here, if you do not see device-properties)
6. click and highlight device-properties in the list
7. click add to boot plist
8. delete L/P/SC/NetworkInterfaces.plist & com.apple.network.identification.plist
8. close all and REBOOT

Some notes, not sure if they made a difference.. but I have them.
-I do have Ethernet (EN0) as my named device in Network. As other POST suggested
-my org.chameleon.boot.plist does have the following: (in /Extra and L/P/SC) and I made them identical after step 3. So both have the HEX ethernet string in both.
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Do you have a functioning ethernet? is it onboard mobo or a card. If its a card then you need to first get that recognized as PCI card.

When you run System Profiler > Hardware > PCI Cards... what there?

jespejo said:
I have to say this has been the MOST Frustrating experience...
EFI Studio was the only trick and option that worked...

INDEED. Thanks for 1) Figuring this out (how did, you BTW? and 2) posting

I'm convinced, at least for my system that the EFI Studio was what did the trick. When on 10.6.9, I was really annoyed, as I was STUCK there w/o access to the store. Almost ordered the Apple Lion Thumb Drive. Didn't. Your post spared me.

FWIW: I went through all of the mumbo-jumbo of deleting configuration files, etc. None of it seemed to help. I did find that my Ethernet card was showing up as Eth1 and my WiFi card as Eth0. I jumped through hoops to fix that (did). It entailed serious editing of the network configuration files, shifting MAC addressed between entries, etc. Midway through, I had my WiFi card showing up as my Ethernet adapter, and vice versa. That's when I realized my MAC addresses had to be swapped in my partially edited entries. But, once I got all that straight, still no store access.

After the EFI Studio bit, all worked, I downloaded Lion and did a fresh install. Guess what. No store access. I went straight to the EFI Studio and that fixed the problem straight-away. Nice.

I'm trying to learn more about using EFI Studio. It's possible to add MULTIPLE devices to the same entry, though I'm not sure what the advantage might be. I'm still having trouble getting full performance graphics, so I'm considering adding that along with the Ethernet info. The hex code for the graphics card, BTW, is HUGE. When the two hex codes are combined by EFI Studio, it's not a simple concatenation, but a different number entirely.

I'm going to see if EFI Studio has any utility for getting unrecognized or under-performing hardware working properly. FWIW, here's a link I found of interest:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=147650

Since you obviously figured out why and how to use EFI to get your Ethernet card working up to spec, I'm guessing you know quite a bit more about using this tool than most. Any pointers to useful links would be appreciated.

Cheers,

timbck2 said:
If you do find out how to make EFI Studio work on unrecognized hardware, PLEASE post it here! I'm back to my onboard ethernet not being seen by Lion. I think I'm going to just give in and buy a PCIe ethernet card (something other than a Realtek chipset!) and be done with it, even though I don't even use ethernet.

Well. I've no idea about that, as I'm new to the tool myself. However, I'm willing to bet that you can extract the needed information about your ethernet port from a boot to a Linux Live CD. That should let you run stuff from the Linux terminal to more precisely identify your hardware and (hopefully) figure out what hex string is associated with your built-in ethernet. Linux has very good and (mostly) built-in utilities for poking around into the guts of hardware.

I suggest that you find out what the needed hex string represents, what other formats might contain that same information (from which the hex string might be generated) and then see what Linux tools are available to collect that information. If you can extract or generate the correct hex string for your card, you should be able to add it manually to your com.chameleon.Boot.plist. THAT just might do the trick. You don't really care if the hex string is generated using EFI Studio or by some other approach, do you? You want your ethernet port to function.

DISCLOSURE: I've NOT done exactly what I suggest to be so easy for YOU to do, so, it might not be as straight-forward as I've described. But then, it might be...

Good luck. Let us hear.

Hi folks, sorry for delay. I for one am a noob and I have attained my success only from trial and error and reading lots of webpages. As for ethernet, I only have it working in 10.6.8 and I dont want to move to Lion as I know my hardware is not supported.

for kext input: I have read that many times upgrades will always kill a kext setup, thus really not the best approach. EFI Studio is the desired approach, but you need to know what your doing. I have seen a couple of posts on using EFI to merge different HW, looks very complicated.

Currently I have ATI HD4650 that just won't work and I didn't want to mess with it as I have had to reinstall SL about 5 times due to trying all the kexts on this video card. I just went and purchased a GT8400 GS Nvidia card that all the hack sites shows as ready as OOB (for SL and Lion) which will just leave me with the ethernet kext and audio kext.

Once I get the new video I think I am done with this PC as I do not need to move to Lion at the moment.

**2/8/12 Updated** Isn't it my luck! I bought the Asus GT8400GS with DDR3 which is not OOB only DDR2 is.. Spent another 3 days perfecting that one... http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=23153&start=160
As for this ethernet I started with I have come to learn more. EFI strings allow hadware to be recognized, if the base OS has the drivers then you need to add your device ID into teh info.plist of the kext for all to work. So for SL10.6.8 we needed both, so I imaging in L10.7 it just needed the EFI string? The kext was already there.

Hello.

I am very frustrated with this problem. I succesfully installed Snow Leopard with Iboot without any problems but now I am stuck and cannot buy Lion because I cannot access to App Store.

My system is:
IC2Duo E8500
Asus P5Q3
Nvidia GTX275
12GB ram 1333 (gskill ripjawsx)

I tried the EFI Studio solution, tried deleting network preferences and almost everything I found but nothing worked.
Any idea what else can I try?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back