Sierra: Z170X-UD5 TH: No Audio on Green Rear Audio jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte 5700 XT (GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD)
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Centris
  3. iMac
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. Quadra
  8. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been able to install macOS Sierra ok. I have audio working to the front headphone jack but cannot seem to get the rear audio jack (green) to work on the motherboard. Here's what I've done so far:

1) Installed Audio drivers from MultiBeast - Sierra 9.0.0 including ALC1150 and 100 Series Audio
2) Ran Toleda Script: audio_cloverALC-120

When I try to get any sound to come out from the rear audio jack (selecting Internal Speakers), I can hear some faint crackling static but not the audio.

My config.plist includes the following Kernel and Kext Patches for audio when all is said and done above:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>10.12-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC...</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                ihnUEQ==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleHDA</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AAAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>10.9-10.12-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC1150</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                ixnUEQ==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AAnsEA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AppleHDA/Resources/xml&gt;zml</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                eG1sLnps
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                em1sLnps
                </data>
            </dict>

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any ideas!

What worked for me was first installing Multibeast 9 with my build options which included the Realtek 1150 and 100 for Audio. After completing that build and install I rebooted. At this point I still had no devices listed in my Sound Output. I then ran the audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command and then rebooted. That now gave me device listings in my Sound Output but I was still missing an Internal Speakers listing. I then re-ran Multibeast 9 once again choosing all my correct build options including once again the Realtek 1150/100 then proceeded to build and install followed by a reboot. At this point I now had Internal Speakers as the first choice in Sound Output, and sound was working out of the rear panel green jack to my powered speakers. I'm sure it's a round about way of getting there but it worked.

Last edited:
Thanks @In-N-Out. Just tried MultiBeast 9 ->Reboot-> audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command -> Reboot -> MultiBeast 9 ->Reboot. There is some audio coming through back jack but it's really messed up and static ridden.

Check your volume level via the keyboard and make sure you're not all the way up in level and distorting the signal to your speakers? Mine works fine here. Note: If you have any other kexts loaded for sound etc... remove them. The procedure I gave you above is all I had to do to get my sound working here. You are selecting Internal Speakers for your Audio Output, correct?

Last edited:
Ok. I was able to resolve my issue by doing the following:

- Installed a fresh installation of Sierra on a spare drive I had laying around.
- After booting into my fresh install via the USB installer, I fired up MultiBeast 9.0.0 and installed Quick Start-> UEFI Boot Mode including Clover v2.3..., FakeSMC..., System Definition iMac 14,2, plus I added ALC1150 and 100 Series Audio from the Drivers->Audio tab. Clicked Build, Install.
- Rebooted directly from my freshly installed Sierra with Nvidia drivers disabled (nv_disable=1) to avoid any video problems
- Checked my System Preferences -> Sound and I could not select any output devices.
- Installed the Nvidia web drivers for Sierra build 16A323 and rebooted
- Checked my System Preferences -> Sound thinking I would have to fire up the audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0 script but now i could select my output devices including Internal Speakers. I also could hear audio perfectly without the static from the rear audio jack.
- Thinking I had a good config.plist file I could swap with my misbehaving installation of Sierra, I rebooted back to my original drive.
- Checking my System Preferences -> Sound showed the correct output devices AND audio could be heard without the static issue on the rear audio jack.

My hunch: I'm betting that the installing of the Nvidia web drivers rebuilt the kext caches or something else that MultiBeast did not on the fresh install. This in turn reset the audio hardware to work when I rebooted back into my original configuration. Regardless, I'm good to go now. Thanks @In-N-Out and @jrii for the help and pointers.

guido79, glad you got it all squared away.

Hey guys, I have a very similar build:

OS X 10.12 Sierra
GA-170X-UD5 TH
64GB RAM
i7-6700
EVGA GeForce GTX-950
System definition iMac 14,2

I'm still working audio issues. HD Audio is not important to me, I'd be happy with 2-Ch stereo. Here's what I've done so far:

Fresh install of Sierra, following tonymacx86's skylake TB build. MultiBeast 9.0.0 audio settings including ALC1150 and 100 series audio. Installed NVIDIA web drivers. Rebooted.

In System Preferences, I have 4 output options: internal speakers, line out, line out and digital out. Additionally, when I plug the speakers into the front audio out jack, system preferences recognises it and changes "internal speakers" to "headphones".

All that said--no sound. I have everything else up and running and can play sound via bluetooth, so I am hesitant to mess with it. Is it normal to be showing two line out options? If I re-install MultilBeast, can I just reinstall the audio drivers? Any ideas from here?

Not sure what's going on there since with Internal Speakers chosen that should be routed to your green rear panel audio jack. Have you checked your volume keys on your keyboard making sure it isn't muted or set all the way down? Try following the steps outlined above from guido79 who's config more closely resembles yours.

Last edited:
Sorted :)

I ran toleda script and it worked. Then it didn't. Turns out my audio cable has a short in it. So I'm not exactly sure if the toleda script was necessary as internal speaker was showing up before I ran the script. Anyhoo...works now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back