Contribute
Register

Sierra upgrade problems

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard
CPU
Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2974-KR 4GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0, Silent Cooling Graphics Card
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,
This is my first time posting on this forum, though I've followed the knowledge and guides so generously provided by the tonymacx86 community since 2013.
I'm writing to ask for help on my Sierra install. I hadn't updated my OS in years as I felt like thing were working fine and I didn't want to throw a wrench in the works just for a shiny new UI.
However, I tried to upgrade and install to High Sierra due to getting a new phone and wishing to synchronize it and update it's operating system through itunes.
Going through the app store, I downloaded and began installation of High Sierra-- I can already tell you I made the mistake of not having updated Clover before this juncture. :thumbdown
Upon booting up again, the regular clover menu pops up, but when I select for my OSX install, the progress bar fills to a tiny pill (pictured) and then reboots to the clover screen. It happens so fast I had to capture verbose mode with my phone in order to read it.

Looking through the verbose boot attempt, I don't see anything that obviously jumps out to me as being a problem I could google to problem-solve.
I have all of my stuff backed up on a time machine so I'm not worried about doing a fresh install or erasing the contents of my SSD.

However, at this point, I cannot use recovery mode either. It hangs up and for some reason verbose mode hasn't worked in my attempts so far, so I can't see what's happening.
When I insert my recovery USB (with Sierra) and try to boot from that in the Clover screen, I get the same result as I do when I try and boot in recovery mode (the progress bar fills almost full, then hangs up, doesn't let me use verbose mode).

So, before I take more drastic measures, I'm hoping to get some advice from the community.
My questions are:
1. Can I restore to my previous install with the tools I have already at my disposal?
2. Did I bork my SSD and should I just erase and start over? (I'm considering this option as an opportunity to upgrade my SSD, so I could potentially do a completely fresh install on a new SSD)
3. Is High Sierra even compatible with my system? I heard that Nvidia pulled all their driver support for OSX 10.13 and up. I'd be fine with just sticking with Sierra with this build if that's the case.
4. Why can't I boot in verbose mode in recovery or with my recovery USB?!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-04 101042.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-04 101042.png
    59 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8193.jpg
    IMG_8193.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited: