1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So my hackintosh rig that ran almost perfectly on Sierra, with an i3 2120, was upgraded with an i7 2600k. Since then, it has been extremely unstable.

A lot of times it wont boot, it will either KP out, or just shut down. Clover tends to freeze when I select 'boot verbose' so I can see whats going on. When it does boot, sometimes it works fine, but then within a couple of days it will start freaking out...email wont open due to a network issue, it wont load pages saying the dns is incomplete or whatever message.

It did this after I overclocked to 4.4GHz, so I figured it was not liking the OC. okay, so I set it back to stock and it ran ok for a little while, then started doing the same things.

I have nullcpupowermanagement.kext installed in the clover kexts folder for 10.12, but it loads intel anyway, and throttling does work... SMC sensors.

This morning I started to do some homework, and it started not connecting and lagging bad. So I rebooted it, and it wont boot. I pulled the power plug out and held the power button for 30 seconds, just in case. Still wont boot. Tried multiple times, and wont boot. It keeps shutting down when it gets to the last part before the graphics load. So I think I have it narrowed down to the graphics.... but what I don't get is why its doing this all of a sudden.

specs

Asus P8Z68V-LE motherboard

Intel i7 2600k 3.5GHz (don't have it overclocked unless I'm gaming in Windows)

24GB DDR3 memory

Mac OS Sierra 12.12.3 ( I believe, cant boot it to check, it could possibly be .4) on a Samsung 120GB SSD

CLOVER bootloader

Windows 10 Professional on a 120GB Kingston SSD

Geforce GTX 570 1GB

even overclocked, after running Prime 95 all night, the highest temperature it hit was 67c, so at stock speeds I know that it is not overheating or anything.

Thinking it needs a reinstall of Sierra, as the OS was a reimage from a test hard drive I installed and configured it on.

I'd probably go for a re-install, at least then you know you are eliminating any software glitches and starting with a clean slate, as it were. Also check that your motherboard has the newest BIOS you can get for it, some CPUs are only fully supported by a motherboard with the correct BIOS update.

So my hackintosh rig that ran almost perfectly on Sierra, with an i3 2120, was upgraded with an i7 2600k. Since then, it has been extremely unstable.

A lot of times it wont boot, it will either KP out, or just shut down. Clover tends to freeze when I select 'boot verbose' so I can see whats going on. When it does boot, sometimes it works fine, but then within a couple of days it will start freaking out...email wont open due to a network issue, it wont load pages saying the dns is incomplete or whatever message.

It did this after I overclocked to 4.4GHz, so I figured it was not liking the OC. okay, so I set it back to stock and it ran ok for a little while, then started doing the same things.

I have nullcpupowermanagement.kext installed in the clover kexts folder for 10.12, but it loads intel anyway, and throttling does work... SMC sensors.

This morning I started to do some homework, and it started not connecting and lagging bad. So I rebooted it, and it wont boot. I pulled the power plug out and held the power button for 30 seconds, just in case. Still wont boot. Tried multiple times, and wont boot. It keeps shutting down when it gets to the last part before the graphics load. So I think I have it narrowed down to the graphics.... but what I don't get is why its doing this all of a sudden.

specs

Asus P8Z68V-LE motherboard

Intel i7 2600k 3.5GHz (don't have it overclocked unless I'm gaming in Windows)

24GB DDR3 memory

Mac OS Sierra 12.12.3 ( I believe, cant boot it to check, it could possibly be .4) on a Samsung 120GB SSD

CLOVER bootloader

Windows 10 Professional on a 120GB Kingston SSD

Geforce GTX 570 1GB

even overclocked, after running Prime 95 all night, the highest temperature it hit was 67c, so at stock speeds I know that it is not overheating or anything.

Thinking it needs a reinstall of Sierra, as the OS was a reimage from a test hard drive I installed and configured it on.

Did you remove SSDT.aml before the CPU upgrade?

that's what I was thinking as well..... its just odd that windows ran perfectly fine. I updated the bios earlier just to be safe. I got annoyed and said f it earlier and cranked up the overclock. its running at 4.6GHz at 43c . Perhaps I'll keep it at this... system is a bit snappier with a slight bclk bump.
And I didn't remove the dsdt... fml.

So update, I just tried booting with a clover USB stick , and getting a CPU halted message, along with a weird error. USB over voltage detected. (Reset bios to stock settings, not overclocked) it then shut down.

another update, I did some research on that error.... and unhooked a USB header I had hooked up. had been getting the "usb devices disabled" popup for awhile but figured it was a glitch. so I unhooked it and booted. OS X came right up without a hitch.

mounted the EFI partition.....and im not even using a DSDT. I could have sworn I used a generic one, but nope....
one thing I did notice was all my kexts are in the "other" folder after 10.11.

so far so good.... until I buy a GTX 980 later this week. we'll see how that works out.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back