Contribute
Register

Sierra & Safari: Freezing and reboot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be noted that even with the IGP disabled, these hangs still occur, and only in Safari or anything else that uses webkit. Even a clean install of Safari Tech Preview (currently at release 27) with no bookmarks, extensions, or history, hangs the same exact way. The OS appears to keep going, but Safari hangs in the foreground and prevents all mouse movement or keyboard functions. Not even the "blind force quit" method of CMD-OPT-ESC followed by Enter x2 without moving the mouse works (that's the tip I give to get past a hung Blizzard game's loading screen).

10.12.4 has also introduced enormous amounts of _DirtyJetsam log spam, almost always coinciding with the exact time of the hang (this is an iOS function, so why is OS X's Safari using it?).

I'm assuming the Lilu and associated kexts will work fine even with the IGP disabled as I have?

It should be noted that even with the IGP disabled, these hangs still occur, and only in Safari or anything else that uses webkit. Even a clean install of Safari Tech Preview (currently at release 27) with no bookmarks, extensions, or history, hangs the same exact way. The OS appears to keep going, but Safari hangs in the foreground and prevents all mouse movement or keyboard functions. Not even the "blind force quit" method of CMD-OPT-ESC followed by Enter x2 without moving the mouse works (that's the tip I give to get past a hung Blizzard game's loading screen).

10.12.4 has also introduced enormous amounts of _DirtyJetsam log spam, almost always coinciding with the exact time of the hang (this is an iOS function, so why is OS X's Safari using it?).

I'm assuming the Lilu and associated kexts will work fine even with the IGP disabled as I have?

My specs are different but I can confirm that I get no hangs with Lilu.

What is the currently preferred method for getting rid of the Safari Freezes in 10.12 Sierra while still staying with the onboard Intel HD 4600 graphics. I am currently on 10.12.2 and plan to upgrade to 10.12.4 soon, mainboard is Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD7 TH…

These are the available options I could find going through this thread:

1. Clover find and replace of the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul
Find: 48898BA8000000
Replace: 90909090909090

2. config.plist >> Kexttopatch
Name: AppleIntelFramebufferAzul
Find: 48898BA8000000
Replace: 90909090909090
Comment: isolate IntelAccelerator HD4600 (10.11.6 & 10.12)
MatchOS: 10.12.x

3. config.plist >> KextsToPatch
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x0d220003</string>
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Isolate IntelAccelerator HD4600 10.12.x</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>SImLqAAAAA==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>kJCQkJCQkA==</data>
</dict>

4. Lilu with IntelGraphicsFixup
https://sourceforge.net/projects/intelgraphicsfixup/
https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
Optional: https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/releases

My specs are different but I can confirm that I get no hangs with Lilu.

Sadly, this is not the case for me. Even with the kexts injected, anything using Webkit hangs outright with videos, and that means Safari is completely useless.

I have:

1) Inject Intel: False

2) Inject nVidia: False

3) IGP is completely disabled in BIOS.

4) GPU is 780 GK110B class using nVidia web drivers (Apple's drivers have acceleration, but no power management).

5) I tried with the Lilu, Shiki, and IntelGraphicsFixup kexts installed - no dice. Still crashes.

So it looks like Safari is now unusable entirely and there is no fix. That also means anything else that uses webkit is also screwed. This has to be affecting real macs too, such as the iMac 5k with 4770k and 4790k, because they also have Intel HD4600 IGPs as well, and you can't access the BIOS on those machines.

I just hate using Firefox because its scrolling is so god awful vs. Safari and no amount of fiddling has made it behave the same or even close to Safari's scrolling (it insists on using accelerated scrolling no matter what your setting, and even setting the minimum scroll lines CVAR to 60 produces pitifully slow scrolling). And the tech preview, as noted, is also affected, presumably because it too relies on the installed webkit foundation.

Is there a way to downgrade to the older webkit framework? That might at least alleviate the crashing. Anything's better than being stuck with Firefox for the foreseeable future. :(

Has anyone experienced such a thing on Skylake Graphics?

When the 10.12.4 update released, I have had issues with video playback within Twitter, YouTube, etc within Safari. It freezes my display entirely for about 0.5 seconds, every 2-3 seconds until I quit Safari/WebKit altogether. Then, ultimately everything returns to normal until I reproduce the issue.

After some googling, it led me here since it was the most relevant thread on the matter, although not for graphics using the Azul framebuffer.

I can confirm this problem too( on two hackintosh machines). Have you found anything about the issue?

On a standard MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) running the latest Sierra 10.12.4 with all stock Apple updates, I can confirm the same hanging issue with Safari randomly locking up, along with WebKit dumping an 'excessive wakeups' diagnostic log and freezing up any further web access. FWIW, it seems like these coincide with new https:// queries that require name resolution.

Obviously WebKit is ugly and still broken. I also like Safari better visually, so I just switch to a background Terminal session and use 'sudo killall -m -9 WebKit' to recover. Safari seems to regroup and pick up where it left off (at least on the MBP) and browsing continues as though nothing happened.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You may also want to try forcing a non-DHCP'd DNS server, like 8.8.8.8, and see if you get different results from WebKit.

P.S. You may also want to try forcing a non-DHCP'd DNS server, like 8.8.8.8, and see if you get different results from WebKit.

The server won't matter. It's the content and/or code in the page that crashes webkit. Any app that uses webkit would crash if the content were played locally just as if it were played from the webpage. The same videos that crash me on twitter I can download in firefox, open them up in Safari as a local file and hang. Obviously this makes Safari nigh on worthless as a browser currently until there's a fix.

Welp, I can check one attempt at a solution off the list: You cannot downgrade to 10.12.3's webkit. Finder won't even load without 10.12.4's version (crashes in an infinite loop). Thankfully I keep recovery partitions of my previous OS backup online for just this kind of test. Reapplied 10.12.4 combo update and I'm back to running status, with the webkit hangs if I try to use Safari of course. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back