Nvidia 9800GT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a GA-X79-UP4 board that is really happy with Clover + El Capitan.

I have tried the vanilla update as the main post suggests, and I have also tried the USB way. Both seem to kernel panic really early onto booting into the update portion. I have gotten a few different errors, but the main one that seems to come back most consistently (with both installation types) is the CPUPowerManagement one.

I've never dealt with that (kexts or otherwise) with this board. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or has anyone updated this board and come up with any suggestions?

Is there any suggestions on this? Or maybe a "big list of solutions" thread like El Capitan had? I remember that thread being the saving grace for me last time :)

Last edited:
I am interested on this too. Even if you don't mind, do you mind to share with me how to install el capitan on this MB, bios config...a simple tutorial....??

I am on Mavericks and I am not able to update to El Capitan in a new installation.

Thank you in advance.

I'm up with a Sabertooth x79. Same as above, installed from an SSD and used a PCI USB card to get a working keyboard. Will need a patched DSDT to get onboard USB working. Here's the config.plst that got me through the install. Very basic. Aside from the boot flags I have graphics set to inject intel and that's about it. Using a GTX 960 card. After installing web drivers I am not using either of the Nvidia boot flags.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.2 KB · Views: 521
Did you ever get up and running?
Sorry I haven't checked up on this post for quite a while. I have almost everything functional in Sierra. The two things I can't seem to fix are getting Nvidia web drives to install, and my USB 3 works sometimes and doesn't work at other times. I also get random restarts out of nowhere every now and then. It's only happened when i'm not at my computer, so I still don't know what's causing them.

I'm up with a Sabertooth x79. Same as above, installed from an SSD and used a PCI USB card to get a working keyboard. Will need a patched DSDT to get onboard USB working. Here's the config.plst that got me through the install. Very basic. Aside from the boot flags I have graphics set to inject intel and that's about it. Using a GTX 960 card. After installing web drivers I am not using either of the Nvidia boot flags.

Do you happen to have a .zip file with the KEXTS and rest you used? I have a Sabertooth x79 as well and spent 2 days f'ing around with it trying to get Sierra to work. And I can't even get into the installer.

The machine is currently running Yosemite via Chameleon and it has been great the past few years. Not a single problem.

However I need to upgrade/install new with Sierra - and I'm stuck.

Hey guys, hope all is doing well with your x79 boards. Right now I am running Yosemite and am very pleased with everything but I'm not able to get the latest updates and security. Plus i'm about ready to format and start new.

Having an issue. I have the GA-X79-UP4, GTX 780 w/6gb ram, Intel i7 4930k. Using Sandisk extreme hard drives. Normally booting into the installer is the hardest part for me. This time around i'm about to boot into the installer using the bootflags: -v -cpus=1 npci=0x3000 nv_disable=1 PCIRootUID=0. HOWEVER. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the installer to run on the formatted SSD I had prepped for the OS. I've tried multiple drives, formatted several times for GUID. Followed every different walkthrough and I receive this error message. "A disk with a mount point is required". Can't find anything online about it. I'm convinced there is a trick to getting the board to work with Sierra but I haven't found one yet.

If anyone out there would be able to help, that would be great! I would document my experience on here so that one more person can have a success story on x79 boards for Sierra.

Thanks again!

Joe.
Sierra Installer Error.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back