RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My build is a quad core i5 on a Gigabyte mobo (GA-H55M-UD2H rev.F11) with a Mac Pro 3,1 system definition. I read ahead, prior to installation, to change my system definition to iMac 14,2 because the Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1 system definition isn't supported. Using Multibeast I changed it, restarted and I was able to download Sierra. Installation was via USB and Unibeast. I have a Gigabyte ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card, but I didn't choose inject ATI in the Unibeast setup. I remember that last time I did that my screen went blank during installation. Installation worked fine with the only issue being post installation.

Right after installing Sierra (about 30 minutes) I booted using USB and the hard drive installation. It took a bit longer than what I was used to in Yosemite, but only by about a minute or two longer. I used Multibeast - Sierra and setup my system to boot with Clover. I used the setup -> Legacy Boot mode and Realtek audio 889. Network I didn't touch nor USB.

The first boot after the Multibeast setup and restart took about 20-25 minutes to get to the desktop. You first get the white Apple logo with a progress bar on a black screen (less than a minute). That goes away and then you get a black screen with the mouse pointer. As I mentioned this screen stays on for about 20-25 minutes. I was getting worried, but decided to wait as I noticed my computer light was flickering, I could hear the hard drive working and the mouse pointer worked. I looked up on my phone about this black screen and noticed some discussions about it. Some people reported getting it days AFTER running a seemingly perfect system. Just as I was thinking about rebooting, I got the login screen. Everything worked, BUT not as smoothly as I wanted.

FOUR ISSUES:
1) my front USB port which my keyboard connects to was inconsistent. At the login screen it loses connection and I have to unplug and replug it back in. This always makes it work again. If I stop typing (I use a BT trackpad) for awhile I lose the connection and again I have to unplug/replug it to make it work. It does get annoying, for me at least.

2) I'm not sure if it was because the OS had updated itself in the background and then rebooted, but I noticed that when I left my system to have dinner and came back, I had the login screen again as though the system rebooted. I know I didn't restart nor shutdown because I was in the middle of a search on Google. Actually when I logged back in the same Safari screen was up that I had left before dinner.

3) This is related to the first. It was about the fourth time booting up my system in a span of 2 days. On this particular boot I again got a black screen with the pointer. This time it was about a 10-15 minute wait and then I got the login screen. Reading up on the forums I noticed some posts talking about the system definition. I decided to bite the bullet and change it to Mac Pro 5,1. It also bugged me that About This Mac listed my system as an iMac.

4) This is probably not specific to my setup, but rather to Sierra. My firewire iSight camera no longer works with FaceTime. Photobooth can use it just fine and system profiler sees it. I looked up this issue and found many posts about firewire iSight cameras becoming unsupported in Sierra. I'm hoping there's a fix in the future. One bright spot is iMessage now works again for me.

Knock on wood, after the change in system definition, everything is working smoothly for now. As for the USB I changed ports so it's connected to my screen's USB. I haven't lost connectivity... yet. I'll post any updates if I find any more issues.

UPDATE: Well I had left the system running overnight with display and system sleep turned OFF. Screen saver was running and has run fine before. This morning I discovered that the screen saver and the system was frozen. I had to do a restart via the front panel. I checked the logs and it seems to have stopped just before 2 a.m. The only thing that was running was Avira and it was the same message over and over. I've updated Avira this morning and I'll let the system run today and see what happens.

Last edited:
I used Multibeast - Sierra and setup my system to boot with Clover. I used the setup -> Legacy Boot mode and Realtek audio 889. Network I didn't touch nor USB.

Knock on wood, after the change in system definition, everything is working smoothly for now.

HI, I have the same configuration, which system definition are you using?
Mine is Imac 14.2 but sound is not working.

thanks,
Davide

HI, I have the same configuration, which system definition are you using?
Mine is Imac 14.2 but sound is not working.

thanks,
Davide
Hi I was able to use the Mac Pro mid 2010 defn. My system runs just fine. Now with the recent updates I have FaceTime and iMessages working again (although iMessages is still hit or miss).

Hi I was able to use the Mac Pro mid 2010 defn. My system runs just fine. Now with the recent updates I have FaceTime and iMessages working again (although iMessages is still hit or miss).
Hey! How's this build, you still have it? You ever figure out audio or sleep/wake issues?

Hey! How's this build, you still have it? You ever figure out audio or sleep/wake issues?
I don't have this build anymore. I gave it to my godson who wanted to use it for PC gaming. I have built a newer hackintosh that runs Mojave (it's a beast =D ). As for the audio and sleep/wake issues yes I had the system working just fine under High Sierra when I gave it away; I had used the Mac Pro 2010 definitions. The only issue was with iMessages as it wouldn't connect properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back