Contribute
Register

(sierra) NVMe drive visible in recovery mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello every one :)

I copied FakeSMC.kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/Others in order to be able to boot into recovery mode on a Sierra rig.

Note:
- Asus Z97-a
- i7-4790k
- GTX 980
- Samsung 850 Evo (sATA AHCI SSD)

Then I added an M.2 NVMe drive (Corsair MP500) and followed this guide in order to have it visible in OSX 10.12.6:
https://nickwoodhams.com/getting-your-nvme-ssd-working-on-macos-sierra-10-12-2/
(I obviously adapted the commands for 10.12.6)

Now I would like to clone my boot drive (850 Evo) onto the NVMe drive (MP500) in order to finally boot on the MP500 and remove the 850 Evo. However, disk utility in recovery mode cannot see the MP500 since this mode does not load the kexts required to support NVMe drives. Can anyone tell me what kexts I need and were to place them in order for disk utility to be able to see the MP500 also in recovery mode?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
-a-

PS: I know I could use a third party app to clone my boot drive onto the MP500 but I am familiar with disk utility and I would thus prefer to use it if this is possible.

Best,
-a-

PS: I know I could use a third party app to clone my boot drive onto the MP500 but I am familiar with disk utility and I would thus prefer to use it if this is possible.
You can modify the basesystem.dmg on the recovery partition to have your drive supported. The preferred way to do it would probably be to use rsync or one of the GUI apps.

Edit: Another thought, what about booting a High Sierra installer?

Hello every one :)

I copied FakeSMC.kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/Others in order to be able to boot into recovery mode on a Sierra rig.

Note:
- Asus Z97-a
- i7-4790k
- GTX 980
- Samsung 850 Evo (sATA AHCI SSD)

Then I added an M.2 NVMe drive (Corsair MP500) and followed this guide in order to have it visible in OSX 10.12.6:
https://nickwoodhams.com/getting-your-nvme-ssd-working-on-macos-sierra-10-12-2/
(I obviously adapted the commands for 10.12.6)

Now I would like to clone my boot drive (850 Evo) onto the NVMe drive (MP500) in order to finally boot on the MP500 and remove the 850 Evo. However, disk utility in recovery mode cannot see the MP500 since this mode does not load the kexts required to support NVMe drives. Can anyone tell me what kexts I need and were to place them in order for disk utility to be able to see the MP500 also in recovery mode?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
-a-

Best,
-a-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

You can modify the basesystem.dmg on the recovery partition to have your drive supported. The preferred way to do it would probably be to use rsync or one of the GUI apps.
Out of my league... I don't know what basesystem.dmg is. I probably need to go back to google ;)

Edit: Another thought, what about booting a High Sierra installer?
This is smart... Makes me feel a little stupid and ashamed :D

Thanks a lot for the swift answer :)

AFAIU:
If you're running 10.12.2, the result will be HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext which can be placed in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other for injection via Clover (installer or recovery scenario), or installed to the system volume (post-install scenario).
means that just adding the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext file (that I generated using your script) into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other should solve my problem? Can you please confirm?

side note:
Assumptions:
- installation of Windows 10 on the target
- running install of macOS/OS X (same version as you plan for the target) on existing hack or Mac
- basic config.plist editing skills
- basic MaciASL usage
- basic Clover knowledge
- basic knowledge of installing/injecting kexts
I don't meet the last 4 required skills :oops:

Thanks once again
-a-

means that just adding the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext file (that I generated using your script) into EFI/Clover/kexts/Other should solve my problem? Can you please confirm?

Must be generated with --spoof option.
Also must implement the class-code spoof.

Must be generated with --spoof option.
Also must implement the class-code spoof.
I don't know how to do that yet. More reading ahead.

Guide linked in post #3.
Yes, thanks.

It's just that I am not yet at the level where I can actually extract much from these kind of guides. They are clearly oriented for people that have advanced knowledge. At least "advanced" compared to my ignorance, as I mentioned in post#5. I need to learn more.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back