Contribute
Register

Sierra, install starts, hack reboots and then El Capitan re-appears - No Sierra install - Bemused :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
2 x R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
I seem to be having the opposite problem to most people. I can't get the Sierra install to actually do anything...

My hack has been running El Capitan for some time, thought I'd try Sierra.

Backed up the disk with CCC as per normal, got a download of Sierra. Clicked on the install. Selected the right disk, I have a LOT of disks but only one called El Capitan.

Sierra spends about a minute doing an initial install and says its going to reboot. Sounds normal enough.

PC reboots, the El Capitan partition is displayed on the initial Clover list of partitions with a message saying it will autoboot in a few seconds. This is NOT normal behaviour which makes me think something is working.

The hack boots up and I'm back in El Capitan. Nothing else happens.

My Sierra install is still in /Applications. I'm still running El Capitan. It's as if the last two mins have never happened :)

I'm running Clover <doh>, with the EFI mods, its a legit copy of Sierra from the App store. All under UEFI as it has been for two years. No kernel panic, no issues, system still works, just that its El Capitan and not Sierra.

Looked on Google and looked on Tonymac and nobody else seems to have this issue AFAICT.

Any suggestions as I'm rather bemused and puzzled by the whole escapade.

Rob

I had the same issue. I ended up following the directions to do a full install from scratch. Now I'm reinstalling apps & getting things working.

No audio yet. USB is wonky (no USB 3). Can't boot direct; have to use USB stick in USB 2 port.

I tried the direct download but that somehow killed my El Cap install completely and it wouldn't boot at all. Some weird error I couldn't decipher. So I was forced to do the full install. At least I'm in Sierra.

Wow!

That's absolutely not what I want to do. My El Capitan install works pretty well, USB 3,.0 is a little flaky, sleep has never worked but thats about it. I have many 10's GB's of applications, e.g. Xcode 8 is 5GB, Final Cut Pro X is large, the list goes on and on and on. Yes I can do a backup to TM <spit> or CCC handiwork from there. but the advantages of Sierra over El Capitan are not that great to me.

My assumption would be that Sierra is an improvement, not a 5 year old step back in terms of functionality.

Rob

Many people have problems installing sierra from the hard drive directly. Many people had to install via USB, which was a first for myself as well. I'm going to try it with my desktop and see if it's any different, but for my laptop I upgraded via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back