i7-6700
Graphics
Asus Rog Strix 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

Ok to give some context. I have 5 internal hard drives!

1-MacOS
2-Win10
3-Scratch Disk 1
4-Scratch Disk 2
5-Scratch Disk 3

Not to long ago I was editing in Premiere Pro on Sierra 12.5 and the system crashed whilst doing an export. I attempted the export again and it crashed the system once more. On the third attempt I exported through Final Cut as I did not want a repeat of what PP was doing. A couple of days later, two of my hard drives showed a message saying
- MacOS can't repair the disk "Scratch Disk 2" and
- MacOS can't repair the disk "Scratch Disk 1".
At the bottom of both messages it said I could still read the drives, I just could not write to them. So no big stress.
Firstly I tried to do a disk repair on both of the drives, with both of them attempts not getting any progress. So I thought fine I will just copy everything off the drives, format them, then copy everything back on. This worked fine and the drives were working great. Only problem is that after doing this my other Scratch disk came up with the same issue, until finally my main HD where Sierra is installed eventually would not boot into the OS.
So I did a fresh install of Sierra 12.6 and everything was great. 1 day later it is showing up as an external drive and not an internal drive? Plus two of my scratch disks are coming up with that error again that I mentioned above. What the hell is happening? Why is the drive Sierra is installed on showing as an external when it is not, and why do I keep getting these errors saying MacOS cannot repair the disk?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I managed to solve the issue with the hard drive that had MacOS installed on it back to an internal drive. It had to do with a BIOS setting where the sata port the hard drive was connected too, was set to Hot Plug. Disabling this solved it. I am still working on the issue with the MacOS not being able to repair the disk

Attachments

• Image 1.jpeg
    Image 1.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Image 2.jpeg
    Image 2.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Hi guys,

Ok to give some context. I have 5 internal hard drives!

1-MacOS
2-Win10
3-Scratch Disk 1
4-Scratch Disk 2
5-Scratch Disk 3

Not to long ago I was editing in Premiere Pro on Sierra 12.5 and the system crashed whilst doing an export. I attempted the export again and it crashed the system once more. On the third attempt I exported through Final Cut as I did not want a repeat of what PP was doing. A couple of days later, two of my hard drives showed a message saying
- MacOS can't repair the disk "Scratch Disk 2" and
- MacOS can't repair the disk "Scratch Disk 1".
At the bottom of both messages it said I could still read the drives, I just could not write to them. So no big stress.
Firstly I tried to do a disk repair on both of the drives, with both of them attempts not getting any progress. So I thought fine I will just copy everything off the drives, format them, then copy everything back on. This worked fine and the drives were working great. Only problem is that after doing this my other Scratch disk came up with the same issue, until finally my main HD where Sierra is installed eventually would not boot into the OS.
So I did a fresh install of Sierra 12.6 and everything was great. 1 day later it is showing up as an external drive and not an internal drive? Plus two of my scratch disks are coming up with that error again that I mentioned above. What the hell is happening? Why is the drive Sierra is installed on showing as an external when it is not, and why do I keep getting these errors saying MacOS cannot repair the disk?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I managed to solve the issue with the hard drive that had MacOS installed on it back to an internal drive. It had to do with a BIOS setting where the sata port the hard drive was connected too, was set to Hot Plug. Disabling this solved it. I am still working on the issue with the MacOS not being able to repair the disk

Hello there :)

The hard-drives becoming 'corrupted' is a problem I've had very recently. Exactly the same error messages on both my Sierra SSD and my 'data' HD. Disk Utility is unable to recover them and neither is fsck (Terminal command etc). The deeper scans seem to indicate 'Missing Thread Record #xxxx" and "Invalid Index..").

I'm told that there are two utilities available that can recover the drives - Disk Warrior and Tech Tools Pro 9.5, however they both cost around $100. There is a third called 'Drive Genius' that fortunately offers a demo version. The others don't. 'Drive Genius' scanned and probed but couldn't recover the drive. So glad I hadn't spent any money. Not sure how much better the other two may be. I hear good and bad.

Any way, this doesn't answer the cause of the problem. I had to re-install my system too.

I believe the problem was caused by software in my Windows boot drive. Not blaming Windows as such, it was just clear the macOS disk was damaged at the same time that some software (not MS) was updating itself on the Windows side.

To prevent this happening again I no longer use a 'shared' data drive. Nor any Windows HFS driver. I'll copy between the two by external USB drives.

Once the data has been rescued (I only lost some emails) re-formatting the drives restores them fully.

Hope that helps :)

The hard-drives becoming 'corrupted' is a problem I've had very recently. Exactly the same error messages on both my Sierra SSD and my 'data' HD. Disk Utility is unable to recover them and neither is fsck (Terminal command etc). The deeper scans seem to indicate 'Missing Thread Record #xxxx" and "Invalid Index..").

I'm told that there are two utilities available that can recover the drives - Disk Warrior and Tech Tools Pro 9.5, however they both cost around $100. There is a third called 'Drive Genius' that fortunately offers a demo version. The others don't. 'Drive Genius' scanned and probed but couldn't recover the drive. So glad I hadn't spent any money. Not sure how much better the other two may be. I hear good and bad.

Any way, this doesn't answer the cause of the problem. I had to re-install my system too.

I believe the problem was caused by software in my Windows boot drive. Not blaming Windows as such, it was just clear the macOS disk was damaged at the same time that some software (not MS) was updating itself on the Windows side.

To prevent this happening again I no longer use a 'shared' data drive. Nor any Windows HFS driver. I'll copy between the two by external USB drives.

Once the data has been rescued (I only lost some emails) re-formatting the drives restores them fully.

Thank you very much for getting back to me on your experience with this. I think because I can't find the cause of it and after having re-installed Sierra and still having the corrupt drive issues, that the problem is with Win10. I will reinstall Win10 this time and also forgo the use of the HFS driver to avoid any possible future problems.

so my hard disk got corrupted, so I formatted the drive and re-installed and after a re-installing it gets corrupted and does not boot again. so I did this a couple of times and someone told me that it must be a hardware problem with the Hard disk, so I bought a new hard drive and guess what same problem. So my question is why is my Hard drive getting corrupted and even if it was how am I able to format it and re-install MacOSX Sierra and and then the whole process again... what should I do ???

Not able to get a solution anywhere... please Help !!!!

so my hard disk got corrupted, so I formatted the drive and re-installed and after a re-installing it gets corrupted and does not boot again. so I did this a couple of times and someone told me that it must be a hardware problem with the Hard disk, so I bought a new hard drive and guess what same problem. So my question is why is my Hard drive getting corrupted and even if it was how am I able to format it and re-install MacOSX Sierra and and then the whole process again... what should I do ???

Not able to get a solution anywhere... please Help !!!!

Hi there. Well the original problem I had was with a Windows installation and an hfs driver allowing it access to the mac drive, even though this wasn't expected at the time.

I don't think your HD is actually faulty, but something is going wrong. Can you pinpoint what was happening when the drive gets corrupted? Are you dual booting? Connecting another drive? If you can install macOS ok, then it sounds like a post-install problem and there's a forum here specifically for such things. Give it a search etc.

Good luck :)

so it started with restarting of system while I was using it and it was a single boot but I had a partition but after formatting I made it one drive with no partitions.. also no one seems to be replying to my thread I have created yesterday.. where exactly should I search.... I don't see any forum for my problem exactl...

I am sorry we can't help you any further. In both my case and UtterDisbelief we had an issue with an HFS driver on Windows. Once I reinstalled Windows the corrupt drive issue never reappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back