Contribute
Register

Sierra -> High Sierra direct upgrade with Fusion Drive : possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97 Gryphon
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 750
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have a Z97 build (Asus Gryphon Z97 Armor), with Thunderbolt , Nvidia GTX 750 and a Fusion Drive.

It's been running Sierra happily so far (except : I can't be bothered to find the right layout for built-in audio + make all USB ports work + it sometimes freezes/reboots when waking from sleep)
I have Clover 4439, NVidia Web driver, latest AppleALC.

I'd like to do a direct upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.4.
Doesn't have to convert to APFS, I'm ok with HFS+ (APFS is still not officially supported on Fusion Drives anyway, right ?)

This High Sierra update guide doesn't mention Fusion Drives.

This ****** post and this thread suggest that a fresh High Sierra install doesn't work with Fusion Drives, you need to install to a regular partition then restore that onto the FD.

Is it the same with upgrades, or am I good to go ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Done (even though I had provided that info in my post)
The rules require that your system specs are in your profile not some random place of your own choosing.
This way you only have to enter them once and everyone can find them without searching this whole thread and any subsequent ones.

Doesn't have to convert to APFS, I'm ok with HFS+ (APFS is still not officially supported on Fusion Drives anyway, right ?)

If I remember correctly from when I was learning how to create my own fusion drive on MacBooks Pro laptops, the problem is not with the OS and the fusion drive, it's with the APFS. Fusion drives do not yet work with the new apple file system (APFS). High Sierra OS will work just fine on the "old" HPFS file system, as will a fusion drive. After a bit of fine tuning, I plan to set up a fusion drive on my Hackintosh using a 128Gb Samsung EVO 860 SSD and a 2.5Tb WD green HD. I'll keep you posted on the progress I make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back