Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just did a fresh clean install on the following build:
i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
32GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO
nVidia 980ti

Latest Clover, set up the same way as on El Cap, but with NvidiaWeb enabled.

It's got this weird issue - I did a clean install, everything went well. Several reboots, everything is working. Started copying my files back over from my HDD; I did my photos first. Logged into iCloud; keychain/iMessage/bookmarks were all working properly. Played a few YouTube videos. After I finished transferring over my Photos library, I started tilling through some photos in the Photos app while transferring over the bulk of my data. Suddenly - bam! Hard crash, instant reboot.

I logged back in, and 30 seconds in, hard reboot again. It did this several times until I logged into the Guest account. It's fine there. Tried logging out of guest and into my account, boom crash reboot. Booting with -x didn't help.

Finally what I did is create a new Admin account, and it's working fine. No crashes, nothing. From here I'm not sure what to do; I can create a new account but I'd like to know what actually caused the crash.

Just did a fresh clean install on the following build:
i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
32GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO
nVidia 980ti

Latest Clover, set up the same way as on El Cap, but with NvidiaWeb enabled.

It's got this weird issue - I did a clean install, everything went well. Several reboots, everything is working. Started copying my files back over from my HDD; I did my photos first. Logged into iCloud; keychain/iMessage/bookmarks were all working properly. Played a few YouTube videos. After I finished transferring over my Photos library, I started tilling through some photos in the Photos app while transferring over the bulk of my data. Suddenly - bam! Hard crash, instant reboot.

I logged back in, and 30 seconds in, hard reboot again. It did this several times until I logged into the Guest account. It's fine there. Tried logging out of guest and into my account, boom crash reboot. Booting with -x didn't help.

Finally what I did is create a new Admin account, and it's working fine. No crashes, nothing. From here I'm not sure what to do; I can create a new account but I'd like to know what actually caused the crash.

Someone posted recently that the crash is due to the Photos app which crashes when it tries to scan the library for faces.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...opening-photos-app-for-the-first-time.202747/

Following the other posts and what not, and after a fresh install, it turns out that disabling XMP in Clover and the BIOS - reducing RAM frequency from 1866mhz to 1333mhz - solved the issue for me :)

The motherboard does emit and odd super faint chirp with each photo it processes - the chirp coincides with SSD activity - but I'm not too concerned as I don't import that many photos at once (outside of the initial 6000 photo library update)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back