Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sierra downloaded ok. I am attempting to upgrade [as posted on forum said it works with Clover] as if I have a real mac.
ONLY Gets as far in the install as rebooting.
Reboots Ok but just boots El Capitan again. Stops showing El Capitan's desktop.
No further action from Sierra installer.

Even if I click on install again after reboot- no change - reboots to El Capitan and stops with desktop showing.
I am attempting to install Sierra OVER El Capitan 10.11.
I am using the graphics of my motherboard. See my signature for system details.
Never got audio running on El Cap. Using a usb dongle that OSX thinks is SSS USB Headphone Set.
OSX thinks: I am imac 14,2
I have tried to install several times but only latest install log file shown is attached.
All the install log files from 3 attempts look the same except times.
I hope this attached log helps show what is wrong.:banghead:

Attachments

• installer log#1.rtf.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 85
did you do:

When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating. Press spacebar to enter Boot Options and choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options.

it's not clear from your text if you "choose Boot macOS Install option"

you need to upgrade clover...

Many thanks. I didn't read enough[please excuse this 78 year old]
I now THINK I understand what I have to do
but can you point me to
1.How to know which kexts I must change or update and
2.Best utility to update kexts?
3.Which utility do I use to update CLOVER?
4. How to "recreate kernel cache"?

Clover v2.3k Rev 3561 is the first Sierra compatible revision.
*3761* you meant, not really im on 3726 because 3761 doesn't work for me..

Many thanks. I didn't read enough[please excuse this 78 year old]
I now THINK I understand what I have to do
but can you point me to
1.How to know which kexts I must change or update and
2.Best utility to update kexts?
3.Which utility do I use to update CLOVER?
4. How to "recreate kernel cache"?

first of all, you said you have a working el capitan, are you using multibeast or clover with it?

If you have clover then, the kext should be there in the EFI folder, and there would be no need to update.
updating clover is really simple, just download a release version from sourceforge and you install it on the hardrive/ssd you use.
I was using multibeast and switched to clover because, i don't like tampering with the extension folder. And it's easier to do updates and upgrade, but clover needs alot more tinkering before everything works, like making your own dsdt file.

Last edited:
fragment 7- [and others]- I AM VERY THANKFUL TO YOU.
That gives me most of what I need.
Still have questions however.

I am running 10.11 [El Capitan]. I think original public release[15A284].
It thinks I am imac 14,2. and use Intel Graphics 4600 1536 MB.
Boot ROM Version = IM 142.0118.B12. Have 16GB 2133 RAM on 2 sticks.
Current Clover = 3423 [I read I must upgrade first 3761? - which utility do I use?]

Info on the El Capitan build that I will begin with:
EL Capitan doesn't run without issues.
It frequently reboots without any reason I understand. I was hoping that upgrading would solve that problem. I don't think all my USB 3.0 ports are running at 3.0. System reports only one USB 3.0 port in back into which I have audio dongle plugged is USB 3.0. System reports USB on the MAC keyboard is USB 3.0. I never found simple way of finding which USB's were WORKING as 3.0. I have never checked out many features, sleep, wifi[ I have an Edimax AC1200 EW 7822UAC that I used in a previous build which I want to use after installing Sierra.], sound [I use an USB audio dongle] etc. I have to use a Microsoft keyboard connected as PS/2 to get my PC config working. After I get the Clover boot screen I can use a MAC keyboard. I haven't found a way around this for several versions of OSX. I can't get rid of phantom HDDs that complicate a clean install or use of F12 to select boot disc.

Are there any kexts that you know that work with El Capitan but not Sierra I MUST replace?
I will try to use the new Apple ALC kext before updating to see if it fixes my current audio [so I won't need the audio dongle]. If it doesn't work I will install prepared to use dongle. I will leave dongle out until Sierra is working properly.
You said I need to make my own DSDT file. Years ago I got that from a Tony Mac database.
With the advent of EFI supported by my PC, what utility do I use to generate a DSDT file for my PC now?

The remaining question before How to "recreate kernel cache ?
Can you point me? I suspect it is easy. I try to search for answers to every question I have asked but often the results are richly detailed explanations that confuse me.

Some capabilities that might be called for by utilities suggested:
Have Carbon Copy Cloner and I backup my 512 Samsung SSD to a 256 GB SSD[still fits] So I can back up 1 version of changes to SSD. I have a HDD partition on which I can backup another install. I have 128GB and smaller USB memory flash drives to use in following instructions. It probably doesn't matter for Sierra, but I connect to internet via Ethernet to Comcast router.

AGAIN thanks Fragment 7 and others who have helped and will help- Sorry that it takes such simple answers to match my current capability to understand.

Update
Fragment 7 or anyone who can help me, help myself.

I used Clover_v2.3k_r3763.pkg to update to r3763. IS THIS an OK version for Sierra?

In the description of the package's Main features it said "DSDT Patching on the fly by fixes and by patterns"
"Custom DSDT will be loaded from booted partition or from EFI folder".
DOES THIS MEAN, I have to rerun this pkg after I create a custom DSDT for my hardware?
It also says USB Fix[...] up to USB 3.0
DOES THIS MEAN IT AUTOMATICALLY FIXES PORTS THAT ARE USB 2.0 but SHOULD be 3.0? Recall I think I have USB ports that should be 3.0 and that MAY NOT be 3.0

other features it mentions:
"Extra kexts loading"
"Kernal and kext patching on the fly".
WHERE DO I FIND a WIKI or other documentation that explains exactly what this PKG does in respect to these "features"? ...and how to use the pkg?
What special things do I need to present to Clover EFI app to upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra?
Where does it tell me how I input these things so they are picked up by the PKG when I re-run it?
OR AM I CONFUSED AGAIN?

Before I can update to Sierra are these the ONLY remaining things I need to do:

1. Create a custom DSDT for my PC and somehow provide it to the Clover pkg.
2. Replace any kext used for El Capitan that cannot be used for Sierra using the PKG's kexts loading capability?
OR to I update the kexts as part of the boot process "..choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options." <- I don't know exactly how to INJECT kexts.
3. Recreate kernel cache Another thing I don't know how to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back