Asus P6T SE
CPU
i7 950
Graphics
GTX 680
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi.

I have 2 SSD drives and an old motherboard (Asus P6T, 24 RAM) that does not support UEFI.
I installed Sierra on one SSD successfully and then installed Clover Legacy using Multibeast.
It's working good with Sierra and Clover. Now I am trying to install Ubuntu on the second SSD with no success.
First I unplugged the Sierra SSD and tried a normal installation from Ubuntu Live USB and erased the second SSD and left all the partitioning to be handled by the Ubuntu installer. It was able to boot to Ubuntu after finished and restarting with just that SSD plugged, but when I connect the Sierra with Clover Legacy SSD, the Clover displays a Linux option as INTERNAL, but when I press it, it just displays a square box with the penguin logo and does nothing. Strangely, if I hit any key it returns back to the Clover OS selection menu! I checked the disk under Disk Utility inside Sierra and it is MBR.

What I have tried so far:
- Reinstall Ubuntu and set a /boot partition, result: boots from single Ubuntu SSD but same behavior with Clover SSD attached
- Used Ubuntu Live CD and gparted to change SSD MBR to GPT, created manual partitions for root / swap and /boot, reinstall Ubuntu with /boot partition connect the Clover SSD, result: Cover does not detect it so no Linux option available
- Reintall Ununtu and left the bootloader to root / without /boot partition, result: Linux option inside Clover but when I hit it, it displays the purple screen (background color of Ubuntu bootloader) but it shows nothings and hang there forever.

How can I install Ubuntu on a separate SSD so Clover can see it and successfully boot to it?

I got it all working by creating a boot partition for Ubuntu using Ubuntu Live USB. Somehow boot-repair utility fixed all the issues and then Clover it was able to boot successfully to Ubuntu.
When I restarted I got a boot0 error and I think that's because I did an upgrade and the kernel got updated but I'm not sure. Got it working again by using Live USB and re-run boot-repair.

Here is a full update post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back