Contribute
Register

Sierra clean install ud3r-x58a does not see SSD on bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the SSD OCZ-Vertex3-M in SATA looks properly Partitioned and Formatted for Sierra Installation. Although you can name it anything you like, to avoid a mix up with an Installer disk (EX: USB Sierra Installer), if you rename it Scierra_System there will be less confusion in the install screen and later in the Clover Boot Screen. This is only a suggestion.:)

Wish you success.

Now the SSD OCZ-Vertex3-M in SATA looks properly Partitioned and Formatted for Sierra Installation. Although you can name it anything you like, to avoid a mix up with an Installer disk (EX: USB Sierra Installer), if you rename it Scierra_System there will be less confusion in the install screen and later in the Clover Boot Screen. This is only a suggestion.:)

Wish you success.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried unplugging all drives and the boot screen still shows the two options, which confirms to me that those are the two default options. Sounds like you are out of ideas, as am I. I'll keep trying to fix this in my free time. If any lightbulbs hit you please let me know. Thanks for your help.

After the last time you showed the Disk utility images of your SSD OCZ Vertex and the PNY USB installer , with the SSD being formatted ,
  • Did you reinstall Sierra on the SSD you had named "Sierra Install" on the disk utility after formatting as shown in the image uploaded here?
  • Did the the system go through the usual 2-part Sierra installation?
  • Did you run Multibeast on "Sierra Install" SSD in Legacy mode and install required kexts and System Definition, iMac14.2?
  • Did you view the config.plist of the new Sierra System disks EFI>EFI>CLOVER>config.plist through Clover Configurator to confirm that in
    • EFI>CLOVER>kexts>Other fakesmc.kext and your Ethernet.kext are present
    • EFI>CLOVER>drive64UEFI has osxAptioFixDrv-64 or osxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi FSInject-64.efi, osxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi, PartitionDxe.efi, VBoxHFS-64.efi
    • On "Boot" menu you did not do any changes, and in the
    • "GUI", you made sure you have checked [] Legacy
    • SMBIOS menu showed the System Definition to be iMac 14.2
  • You made sure you could see your SSD in the BIOS in SATA -0 and the USB Sierra Installer?
  • You booted on to the Clover Boot Manager through the USB Sierra installer for the last time
  • Now you don't see in the Clover Boot Manager screen your Sierra SSD listed but still saw only your
    • Sierra USB Installer and
    • Boot from Clover EFI"
The Above happened even after you unplugged all other SATA devices and USB devices except the PNY USB and OCZ SSD?

I cannot think of any errors in your steps from SSD formatting to SSD Sierra System booting!
In that case, I have to suspect your Sierra installer may be missing some files.
In that case you may have to delete the already downloaded "Install Sierra" from Apple store and start all over again.
or use the SSD as a 'dual' Installer cum system disk sacrificing 16GB for the installer and the rest for System as has been shown in this post : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clone-hdd-to-a-new-ssd-drive.207676/

After the last time you showed the Disk utility images of your SSD OCZ Vertex and the PNY USB installer , with the SSD being formatted ,
  • Did you reinstall Sierra on the SSD you had named "Sierra Install" on the disk utility after formatting as shown in the image uploaded here?
  • Did the the system go through the usual 2-part Sierra installation?
  • Did you run Multibeast on "Sierra Install" SSD in Legacy mode and install required kexts and System Definition, iMac14.2?
  • Did you view the config.plist of the new Sierra System disks EFI>EFI>CLOVER>config.plist through Clover Configurator to confirm that in
    • EFI>CLOVER>kexts>Other fakesmc.kext and your Ethernet.kext are present
    • EFI>CLOVER>drive64UEFI has osxAptioFixDrv-64 or osxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi FSInject-64.efi, osxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi, PartitionDxe.efi, VBoxHFS-64.efi
    • On "Boot" menu you did not do any changes, and in the
    • "GUI", you made sure you have checked [] Legacy
    • SMBIOS menu showed the System Definition to be iMac 14.2
  • You made sure you could see your SSD in the BIOS in SATA -0 and the USB Sierra Installer?
  • You booted on to the Clover Boot Manager through the USB Sierra installer for the last time
  • Now you don't see in the Clover Boot Manager screen your Sierra SSD listed but still saw only your
    • Boot from Clover EFI"
The Above happened even after you unplugged all other SATA devices and USB devices except the PNY USB and OCZ SSD?

I cannot think of any errors in your steps from SSD formatting to SSD Sierra System booting!
In that case, I have to suspect your Sierra installer may be missing some files.
In that case you may have to delete the already downloaded "Install Sierra" from Apple store and start all over again.
or use the SSD as a 'dual' Installer cum system disk sacrificing 16GB for the installer and the rest for System as has been shown in this post : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clone-hdd-to-a-new-ssd-drive.207676/

Hi cmn699,

First, thanks for your continuing help. Here are answers to your questions:

Did you reinstall Sierra on the SSD you had named "Sierra Install" on the disk utility after formatting as shown in the image uploaded here?

The Sierra installation on the SSD hasn't changed from the original installation following the guide steps for formatting and installing from the USB. So no, I haven't re-installed Sierra on the SSD. However, I did see that a new version of Sierra was release so I should probably download the old install app and create a new unibeast USB.

Did the the system go through the usual 2-part Sierra installation?

No, I have never been able to reach step 2: Finish installation from SSD after second boot from USB.

Did you run Multibeast on "Sierra Install" SSD in Legacy mode and install required kexts and System Definition, iMac14.2?

No, because of the answer above. I cannot finish the installation. Same answer for the other questions above.

You made sure you could see your SSD in the BIOS in SATA -0 and the USB Sierra Installer?

Yes, I can clearly see SSD on BIOS boot (SATA Port 0). I can see SSD in Disk Utility from Sierra installer from USB.

You booted on to the Clover Boot Manager through the USB Sierra installer for the last time

Not sure what this means.

Now you don't see in the Clover Boot Manager screen your Sierra SSD listed but still saw only your
  • Boot from Clover EFI"

Not exactly. What's happening is when I unplug ALL drives and boot from USB I see this screen:
IMG_4573.JPG

This is the same screen I see when I boot from the USB when the SSD is plugged in after formatting and Sierra installation from USB.

I hope that helps.

Th reason you were not able to answer many of the questions in my post was because you had not done reinstallation of the System as I thought you were about to start from your brief post with the Disk utility Screen images.

Now I know that your last attempt was only to see if the PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED Sierra System disk that failed to show up in Clover Boot Menu originally, would reappear once you connected it to SATA 0 from G SATA port.

Unfortunately it did not show up probably because the installation in it was not complete in the first place. It did not have Clover boot-loader installed in your earlier trial.

I hope my last post would be a 'roadmap' for recognizing major 'land marks' from installation screen to a fully functional Sierra desktop the next time you attempt to create Sierra 1012.1 installation with a new USB Installer.
Every 'set back' in any 'experiment' can be taken as a 'learning experience'!
Good luck.

I just ran into the exact same problem with my GA X58A UD7 Rev 2.0. After trying all sorts of things had to resort to finish the install on another hack and then move the disk to the X58A. It booted with no problems!
Still would like to know what is going on...

I ran into this problem yesterday, but eventually I think I figured it out, at least it worked for me. After making sure it was booting in SATA mode and AHCI was enabled all across the board and that the SSD was connected to SATA0, the SSD was still onbootable and wasn't showing up in clover.

After the Sierra install finishes, reboot with the USB stick still in. Boot again into the installer, go to Utilities > Terminal, mount the EFI partition from the SSD with

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

mkdir /Volumes/USBEFI

mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/USBEFI

Then copy everything in /Volumes/USBEFI/EFI to /VOLUMES/EFI/EFI

cp -r /Volumes/USBEFI/EFI/ /VOLUMES/EFI/EFI

This will copy over the clover folders with the correct boot files.

Remove the USB stick and restart, the SSD should now be bootable.

I ran into this problem yesterday, but eventually I think I figured it out, at least it worked for me. After making sure it was booting in SATA mode and AHCI was enabled all across the board and that the SSD was connected to SATA0, the SSD was still onbootable and wasn't showing up in clover.
X58A motherboard uses the Marvell 9182 controller.
Use Clover with CloverEFI > CloverEFI 64-bits BiosBlockIO instead of CloverEFI 64-bits SATA
See BiosBlockIO: Fix for Clover recognizing non-Intel SATA controlled Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back