Contribute
Register

Sierra 10.12 install successful! But suddenly booting into black screen w/ cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what fixed audio for me on Sierra:

Sierra Desktop/Realtek AppleHDA Audio | tonymacx86.com

If it works on your second drive, and you copy the EFI folder to the first drive, it will work.

Thanks! I had tried a couple other guides but not this.

Unfortunately, it works on my FIRST drive, the one where video doesn't work, not my second one - where video does work. Is there a way i can cherry pick which files/code in config.plist to copy over to my ifrst drive? Short of the audio section in config.plist, are there any other files and folders i should be paying attention to, to retain the audio functionality of the first drive?

Is there a way i can cherry pick which files/code in config.plist to copy over to my ifrst drive?

Of course you can... You just run the risk of making it unbootable again...

Short of the audio section in config.plist, are there any other files and folders i should be paying attention to, to retain the audio functionality of the first drive?

I don't know of an audio section. DSDT patch and KextsToPatch.

Disclaimer: Mess with this stuff at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you are forced to reinstall.

Just to be clear... Your problem has been resolved after installing on your second hard drive and your first hard drive is not connected to the computer, correct?

If so, you can just do the following:

1. Mount the EFI partition of your second drive and copy the entire EFI folder to your desktop.
  2. Unmount the EFI partition of your second drive.
  3. Connect your first drive to the computer via a USB adaptor.
  4. Mount the EFI partition of your first drive and copy the EFI folder on your desktop to it. (Replace the existing EFI folder)
  5. Shut down.
  6. Reconnect first drive to your motherboard.
  7. Choose to boot from first drive in BIOS.
* Note: Technically, you should be able to do this without having to connect the first drive via USB but I wanted to eliminate as many potential issues as possible.

Damn, so I just tried this as you instructed (the only difference is instead of booting from first drive in BIOS i chose to boot frmof irst drive in CLOVER) and the exact same problem occurred. I had replaced the entire EFI folder on my EFI partition for the first drive w/ nonfunctional video, functional audio - Sierra1 with the one from the second drive, Sierra2. Still, after i make it past apple loading screen im met with a black screen.

Something strange that i noticed: When i just had Sierra2 plugged in, clover bootloader did not have a time-delayed autoload of a boot drive. When i plugged Sierra1 back in via SATA, the time-delayed autoload reappeared. Additionally, while both drives have the exact same EFI folder on their respective EFI partitions taken from Sierra2, I can make it into Sierra2 just fine now with Sierra1 plugged in.

To make things even weirder, the Intel HD530 graphics fix that i stuck in config.plist - which was working totally fine on sierra2, is now no longer working the same on Sierra2. The slight flickering of my menu bar has returned - HOWEVER, audio on sierra2 is now totally functional!

What the heck is going on here? I feel like my only options at this point are to do a fresh install of Sierra on Sierra1. Please tell me I am mistaken!

Edit: I also left a copy of the entire EFI folder from Sierra1 tucked away on my desktop somewhere, so i have access to those files if anyone can diagnose something from there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Disclaimer: Mess with this stuff at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you are forced to reinstall.

I literally only have this computer because of the work you and Stork put into your build threads for a bunch of total internet strangers, so trust me when I say i could never hold it against you either way :)

On top of that you've been helping me figure out what's going on with it now, so i'm eternally grateful, regardless.

If you followed either Stork's or my guide, you will know that MultiBeast did all the heavy lifting. It's basically, install macOS, run MultiBeast with the settings Stork outlined (You would need to also check off the HD 530), and you should have a mostly functional system.

There are some optional, minor tweak that can be done afterwards but nothing really serious. A few tips:
  • Use iMac14,2 system definition to keep things simple. (You can try other system definitions later, if you like, but it's not essential)
  • Use the audio fix I linked to above to fix audio in Sierra.
  • If you want to apply the permanent USB fix, links to all the information can be found on the first post of my build description. (All the port mapping work has already been done)
  • Try to stay on BIOS version 2202 if possible. (If you've upgraded beyond 2202, you will need emuvariable64)

Last edited:
If you followed either Stork's or my guide, you will know that MultiBeast did all the heavy lifting. It's basically, install macOS, run MultiBeast with the settings Stork outlined (You would need to also check off the HD 530), and you should have a mostly functional system.

There are some optional, minor tweak that can be done afterwards but nothing really serious. A few tips:
  • Use iMac14,2 system definition to keep things simple. (You can try other system definitions later, if you like, but it's not essential)
  • Use the audio fix I linked to above to fix audio in Sierra.
  • If you want to apply the permanent USB fix, links to all the information can be found on the first post of my build description. (All the port mapping work has already been done)
  • Try to stay on BIOS version 2202 if possible. (If you've upgraded beyond 2202, you will need emuvariable64)

Yup, i've followed all of the above. I've done 3-4 fresh installs paying meticulous attention to the tips above across the two drives, but the problem persists.

I dont know what's causing it to malfunction suddenly either, because it has now happened on my second drive (which has worked fine for about a week straight). Booted it up just now, and the exact same problems i described with the first drive are now present in the second. When i turned it off this morning it was totally functional. IT seems to be that after a few days of normal operation something triggers a change related to the GPU's function, and i'm left with the black screen. I'm following the other threads related to this topic closely but so far nothing. Anyone else ahve any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back