CPU
i7-9750H
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an Asus TP500LN laptop and prior to updating to .4 beta everything was working fine but now my brightness is not functioning, i have the slider and i get the OSD when changing the brightness levels but it does not have any effect, my screen stays as it is. Previously was using IntelBacklight.kext without issues but with the .4 beta all it does is set screen to max brightness and without the IntelBacklight.kext i get a duller screen display. I have added my ioreg and patched DSDT and SSDT.

EDIT: As i have just found out the brightness adjustment does indeed work after allowing my hackbook to sleep or lid sleep then on wakeup brightness adjustments work. And this is without IntelBacklight.kext as with it even after sleep brightness adjustment does not work. But it still does not work on reboot or cold boot.

Hopefully this new information will help solve the issue.

Attachments

• Shane’s MacBook Pro.zip
    757.1 KB · Views: 92
  • patched.zip
    48.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I have an Asus TP500LN laptop and prior to updating to .4 beta everything was working fine but now my brightness is not functioning, i have the slider and i get the OSD when changing the brightness levels but it does not have any effect, my screen stays as it is. Previously was using IntelBacklight.kext without issues but with the .4 beta all it does is set screen to max brightness and without the IntelBacklight.kext i get a duller screen display. I have added my ioreg and patched DSDT and SSDT.

EDIT: As i have just found out the brightness adjustment does indeed work after allowing my hackbook to sleep or lid sleep then on wakeup brightness adjustments work. And this is without IntelBacklight.kext as with it even after sleep brightness adjustment does not work. But it still does not work on reboot or cold boot.

Hopefully this new information will help solve the issue.

Two choices currently:

Install "Brightness" by bergdesign.
http://bergdesign.com/brightness/
Brightness adjustment can then be made via the menubar.
It shows that IntelBacklight.kext is not completely broken... (we have plenty of time to investigate/fix, if necessary)

-OR-

Remove IntelBacklight.kext and use AppleBacklight.kext.
Keep in mind to make AppleBacklight.kext work 100% correctly requires specific ACPI patching and patches to AppleBacklight.kext usually via custom AppleBacklightInjector.kext.

Do you have a guide for patching DSDT for AppleBacklight?

I have the brightness working now.
I re patched my DSDT + SSDT from scratch and my brightness keys are now working. Maybe i had some patches i didnt need before or something conflicting i dont know.
I do know that brightness key adjustment is now working WITHOUT any extra kexts like IntelBacklight or the generic one from the other thread so i must be using AppleBacklight.kext, but i did not patch it.

Attached files are from fresh DSDT + SSDT patch. @RehabMan would you mind taking a look and ensuring everything is correct?

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 3.09.46 pm.png

Attachments

• patched.zip
    48.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Shane’s MacBook Pro.zip
    746.8 KB · Views: 86
I have the brightness working now.
I re patched my DSDT + SSDT from scratch and my brightness keys are now working. Maybe i had some patches i didnt need before or something conflicting i dont know.
I do know that brightness key adjustment is now working WITHOUT any extra kexts like IntelBacklight or the generic one from the other thread so i must be using AppleBacklight.kext, but i did not patch it.

Attached files are from fresh DSDT + SSDT patch. @RehabMan would you mind taking a look and ensuring everything is correct?

View attachment 233009

Your ioreg shows using just AppleBacklight.kext. It works, but only partially. Need special ACPI patches and patched AppleBacklight.kext or AppleBacklightInjector.kext (use search) for full functionality (brightness range probably not full, and likely difference between pre-sleep and post-sleep/wake).

I haven't tried using your IntelBacklight kext again yet but I will soon and if results are the same then I'll have a go with AppleBacklightInjector.kext. Will share results.

I haven't tried using your IntelBacklight kext again yet but I will soon and if results are the same then I'll have a go with AppleBacklightInjector.kext. Will share results.

Read post #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back