Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 470
Hello. I'm a NooB with this. I bought this system and would like to attempt changing it.

It is an i5-2500k and GA-Z68-UD3 v1.3 running 10.7.3 on a RAID w/ 2 sata hard drives, a 750 GB and 500 GB.

A friend and I set up my other core2duo system with Snow Leopard and its faster than my i5. Needless to say, I'd prefer to run 10.6.8 over Lion.

I'm ready to set everything up, yet, how do I set-up a striped RAID for Snow Leopard?

Any and all ideas are appreciated.
If there's a guide on here that I've missed, please direct me there. I'll post a link here if I find one in the meantime too.

Thanks in advance. Peace.

publishdan said:
A friend and I set up my other core2duo system with Snow Leopard and its faster than my i5. Needless to say, I'd prefer to run 10.6.8 over Lion.

my guess would be that because of wrong patched ssdt and/or wrong smbios and other reasons your cpu is locked on the lowest multiplier...
hard to believe that a core2duo runs faster than a right setup with an i7-2500

Xabbu said:
publishdan said:

my guess would be that because of wrong patched ssdt and/or wrong smbios and other reasons your cpu is locked on the lowest multiplier...
hard to believe that a core2duo runs faster than a right setup with an i7-2500

yeah pubishdan,

i would have to agree with Xabbu

you just needs to research solutions for your new Intel i7 setup running Lion as this should be much faster than your Core2Duo Snow setup.

have you seen the GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners thread, this may have settings applicable to your GA-Z68-UD3 which you have not considered ?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23561 :think:

Hi,

Nothing to do with the speed issue you seem to have, but may I advise to allways use identical disks in a RAID (even software based RAID).

I also have a C2Q which is still rocking! But my i7 beats it on everything, so I must agree with everybody else here, there must be something wrong with the buid.

Greetz,

D.

georgeba said:
I think Xabbu means DSDT.

i meant both...
usually you'll only find CPU declarations in DSDT, their PM is defined in SSDT

Just for comparision...

Core2Duo E8600 @ stock 3,33GHZ / geekbench around 4800

my i7-2700K @ stock 3,5GHz / geekbench 12300

and when turbo kicks in... :mrgreen:

if oc'ed to 4,5GHZ :headbang:

Thank you for all of the replies!!

I'll let ya'll know if I stick with Lion after tuning up my system.

The weirdest part is the Lion system is on a striped RAID with an i5 and the Snow Leopard system has a single, 300 GB hard drive with a 2.5 gHz core2duo.
I thought it had to do with "memory leaks" in Lion.

publishdan said:

The weirdest part is the Lion system is on a striped RAID with an i5 and the Snow Leopard system has a single, 300 GB hard drive with a 2.5 gHz core2duo.
Try to install lion to a single disk, instead of the stripe with 2 different disks.
You can install it i.e. on the 500GB, and use the 750GB as a data/TimeMachine.

psydafke said:
publishdan said:

Try to install lion to a single disk, instead of the stripe with 2 different disks.
You can install it i.e. on the 500GB, and use the 750GB as a data/TimeMachine.

Great suggestion! Installing my OS separate from the RAID should work out famously well. I can finally stop :banghead: and start enjoying my system.
I'm hoping to get a solid state here in the next month and that should cure all my woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back