Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hey Folks.

I need a little help with an issue I'm experiencing. See below for hardware spec.

I'm at the boot load stage, but, when in BIOS, the machine shuts down automatically. I'm 90% certain that this is a protective measure to safeguard the CPU from overheating. Problem is I can't figure out why it's overheating. I'm certain the fans and radiator are installed correctly. The plate is correctly seated on the CPU and I have just reapplied (correctly) thermal paste as a first port of call.

Temperature doesn't want to stabilize, slowly climbing its way up to 70+˚ before shutting down. The only other factor worth mentioning here is I've favored the H510 Elite's stock fans on the radiator, rather than the Z63supplied fans because they have LED.

Appreciate your thoughts

Hardware:

NZXT H510 Elite
NZXT Kraken Z63
Gigabyte 2490 Vision D
Intel i9 10900KF
MSI Radeon 5500
Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4
Samsung 970 Evo Plus

First thing I would do is check all the 4-pin PMW fans are correctly seated on the correct fan headers.

Also the CPU radiator & fans should be connected to the CPU and Opt CPU headers not one of the standard Sys or additional fan/pump Headers.

Here is a screenshot of your motherboard layout showing the fan headers. The two header marked in RED should be used for the Radiator/pump and fans, not the 6 other fan headers marked in the three Cyan rectangles.
Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 18.14.27.png
The two CPU fan headers will have different temperature profile settings compared to the system/case fan headers.

The fans being fully connected to the correct headers, but with the overheating problem still present, I would then look at reinstating the 2x Z63 fans on the radiator, to see if that fixes the overheating issue.

The H510's case fans will not be as quiet or as functional as the Z63 fans. See the two screenshots taken from the respective fan support pages:

Z63 Fans:

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 18.08.43.png

AER RGB 2 Fans:
Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 18.09.09.png

The fan speeds being the biggest difference between them.

The Z63 fans have a higher RPM, they may also cut in earlier in the boot process, to prevent the system overheating.

Have you changed any Fan settings in the bios, to make the system quieter? Are you using the standard/default fan profiles?

First thing I would do is check all the 4-pin PMW fans are correctly seated on the correct fan headers.

Also the CPU radiator & fans should be connected to the CPU and Opt CPU headers not one of the standard Sys or additional fan/pump Headers.

Here is a screenshot of your motherboard layout showing the fan headers. The two header marked in RED should be used for the Radiator/pump and fans, not the 6 other fan headers marked in the three Cyan rectangles.
View attachment 510533
The two CPU fan headers will have different temperature profile settings compared to the system/case fan headers.

The fans being fully connected to the correct headers, but with the overheating problem still present, I would then look at reinstating the 2x Z63 fans on the radiator, to see if that fixes the overheating issue.

The H510's case fans will not be as quiet or as functional as the Z63 fans. See the two screenshots taken from the respective fan support pages:

Z63 Fans:

View attachment 510529

AER RGB 2 Fans:
View attachment 510530

The fan speeds being the biggest difference between them.

The Z63 fans have a higher RPM, they may also cut in earlier in the boot process, to prevent the system overheating.

Have you changed any Fan settings in the bios, to make the system quieter? Are you using the standard/default fan profiles?
Hey, thanks this is very helpful.

I haven't tried the Z63 fans yet, but it is next on my list. I'd struggle to imagine (based on how quickly the CPU overheats) that this would improve the issue that dramatically though. I've seen a lot of installs where the stock case RGB fans are used without any issues.

In terms of headers, there are a few breakout wires that come from the CPU block of the cooler. One I've got plugged into the CPU fan header in red as per your diagram (not sure what the CPU OPT header is for?). There is also a daisy chain of input fan headers, which is presumably for the rad fans. The ambiguity in the instructions though is that on the H510E case, there is another set of identical fan header inputs which are plugged into the power module on the case. The instructions say to plug the fans into the headers - I'm not sure if they mean the ones on the case or the CPU block.

I haven't disabled any fans in BIOS, but it's also worth mentioning that no fan speed is being registered, even though I can see the fans spinning.

Thanks again.
Mark

The CPU Opt header is usually used for the AIO Pump, well that is what I use them for on my systems. I use Corsair H60i AIO CPU coolers in all my systems, which have a fan and a pump connector.

If the case and Rad fans are seen to be spinning then I would definitely look at the Rad/pump connection. If the fluid in the Rad is not circulating then that would result in the CPU temps climbing quickly and the system overheating, no matter which fans you use.

The Gigabyte bios should show all fan speeds, the pump may be seen as a fan, which runs at a much higher RPM than the case and Rad fans.

Hey Folks.

I need a little help with an issue I'm experiencing. See below for hardware spec.

I'm at the boot load stage, but, when in BIOS, the machine shuts down automatically. I'm 90% certain that this is a protective measure to safeguard the CPU from overheating. Problem is I can't figure out why it's overheating. I'm certain the fans and radiator are installed correctly. The plate is correctly seated on the CPU and I have just reapplied (correctly) thermal paste as a first port of call.

Temperature doesn't want to stabilize, slowly climbing its way up to 70+˚ before shutting down. The only other factor worth mentioning here is I've favored the H510 Elite's stock fans on the radiator, rather than the Z63supplied fans because they have LED.

Appreciate your thoughts

Hardware:

NZXT H510 Elite
NZXT Kraken Z63
Gigabyte 2490 Vision D
Intel i9 10900KF
MSI Radeon 5500
Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
I would say the pump is the problem before the FAN's I run my 9900k on an AIO but the fans are set not to turn on till 70C but the pump is set to run on full speed always. If you look at your Manual you will find what fan ports are recommended for Pumps. My CPU is at 31C right now with email and a few tabs in safari open. The only fan currently spinning in my case is the GPU fan on my reference card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back