Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

Well I won... I put a bid on this case, a case that was decribed as "Modded Powermac G5 Case RARE Painted Black And Blue Great For Hackintosh" with pictures taken from only the best angles and enough distance to where nothing appeared wrong. The only catch was that the side panel needed to painted.

Easy enough right? It just needs some paint. I got the exact color paint and all other supplies ready to be purchased in my amazon cart, but then...it arrived.

Back story: I'm a perfectionist. And the slightest scratch will send me over the edge (I sent an AppleTV and a MacBook Air back for being scratched).

So when I open the box I'm struck by how good the blue looks but then I start seeing the dents, chips, and scratches on top of what was described as "A durable clear coated paint job." The more I looked, the worse I felt. The painter paid no attention to angles, so what looks like a black front mesh area turns to silver and black when looking from the side. The same went for any surface/angle of the case.

Then...I saw it. The side panel. First...the rivets/bolts/screws that the painter used to attach the windows stick out almost an inch into the case. And the biggest part...the side windows was neither level nor a perfect square. It curved as if someone completely freehand cut the thing without measuring and a shaky hand.

After opening it up with already low expectations, my expectations hit the floor when I saw that the "motherboard tray" was really the back of another case, which is common but in the case it was crudely cut and secured with 2 rudimentary screws. The "power cord" was obviously part of an old power supply duct taped together and screwed in. The front IO panel was just a button that gets stuck every time you press with with no usb ports, but at least the painter/builder was nice enough to wire the power switch. The "Shelf" was cut out and the entire case looks like a madman ripped it apart without care to internal components. For example the slot loading DVD mechanism has broken plastic everywhere and sharp edges.

Ebay Pictures for comparison:

543.JPG$_57.JPG4374.JPG$_57453.JPG$_5743453.JPG

My Pictures:
IMG_20140409_154133.jpgIMG_20140409_154142.jpgIMG_20140409_154155.jpgIMG_20140409_154204.jpgIMG_20140409_154233.jpgIMG_20140409_154246.jpgIMG_20140409_154327.jpg

That brings me to my question, would it be worth saving this and restoring it, or should I scrap it as a cheap Atx case for a junk build?

Is it possible to fix the chips into the aluminum?

If I keep it I'll need:

• Powder coating the entire thing (granted I can get the current "paint job" off) $$$
  • LaserHive Motherboard tray and Back Panel $100 (If the current "job" can still be used)
  • LaserHive Front Panel Connector
  • A new side panel (duh) ~$20-$40
  • Patience
  • Money

I have a bid out on another relatively mint g5, so we'll see how that goes.

Probably the worst G5 case I have seen……honestly? Scrap it if there is no scope for returning it to the seller as misdescribed.

To restore it would seriously be a labour of love. You'd most likely have to strip the whole thing, hope that you could remove the bonded in tray, bead blast the outer case (or spend for ever rubbing it down) etc. etc. and then be starting again from the ground up in converting it.

When decent cases are available for little money, there seems little point throwing more cash at this one.

I figured as much. Thank you for your input. I'll try to get that other G5 and progress from there. I've got a G5 Mod itch.

I've updated the Original post with the original ebay pictures.

If possible, always buy your potential mod machine locally. I got burned once on eBay too, and since then have always painstakingly searched out my mods on Craigslist or Kijiji. Patience has yielded me several pristine machines of various sorts for good value. Another plus to this is that the machine is alot safer sitting wrapped in blankets in the back seat of your car on the way home than it is rattling around in the back of a truck for week.

When you see the machine you want, be proactive and be the first one to respond to the ad.

Just my 02c.

Ersterhernd

I was just thinking.:crazy:
Use this case to figure out how you want to do your perfect case.:banghead:
Unless you've built one before a test case can come in handy to test out ideas and learn how to best cut the back and the many things you've never done before.:think:
For me my third case came out much better because of using the best tricks I had learned from the first two.:thumbup:

Comparing the eBay pics with your own, yeah, you got burned on that one. I'd rather start from scratch using a "vanilla" case versus using something someone altered already. It could potentially prevent you from performing a certain modification and result in a nonexistent opportunity because a particular part that would've originally been on the chassis isn't available anymore. Don't give up on finding a good chassis. My first 2 chassis came up damaged because of the lack of padding the seller provided in the packaging. 3 times a charm is what I say.

You know, you can polish Aluminum :)
Imagine the reflectiveness you can get out of that case, you would need sunglasses :lol:

Haha yeah, I'm not afraid of the work...it just seems there's to much back work to do before the mod can actually begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back