Contribute
Register

Should I leave an old GTX 680 in my hack with a Vega 56?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X299-A
CPU
i7-7920X
Graphics
VEGA 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

Just a random question. I built a new machine last week, and it's smokin'. A 7920X with the ASUS X299-A motherboard. I'm getting 2830 on cinebench, a huge jump from my 700-800 score on my previous hack, the 3930K from 2012 with a gigabyte x79-up4 motherboard.

I had a GTX 980 in the old machine, and that stayed with the old machine as it moved down to recording studio work, which it's doing a great job at, and the 980 is running a HP Z27q 5K display very nicely (hard to get working and I couldn't get the 5K display working properly again under high sierra on the new machine so it can stay with the old machine). I've bought a Radeon vega 56 for the new machine, and for the time being, have a very old GTX 680 in the new machine just to get me going. It's actually doing ok for such an old card - the Bryce 5K test was done in 88 seconds. I'm obviously expecting 10-20 seconds with the Vega which I'm looking forward to.

My question is - should I keep the GTX 680 in the machine as a second card? Or even as the main card driving the monitors? (I have 2 connected, an ASUS 32" 4K and a QNIX 1440p older monitor). I know Davinci resolve will see and use a second card (and actually prefers you to have no monitors connected to the main card doing the processing), but what about FCPX? Will it ignore the Vega 56 if it's not the main/only card in the machine? Any other issues i might face? Obviously one is Nvidia and one is AMD, not sure if that just simply won't work anyway...?

Of course I guess I can test it but I'm just wondering what you guys think?

Thank you!

So update - I tried without the GTX 680. The Vega worked fine, but no HDMI port to the DVI monitor. Swapped out for a DP 4K piece of #$$$ Sceptre (not very bright, but ok for email). So all up and running. I think the only ports that work are DP when you use an AMD card? I think I read that somewhere.

Not sure if I put the GTX 680 back in I could get the DVI monitor to work again... Still waiting on any advice someone could give me on doing that or if it's even possible.

BruceX 5K test was 11 seconds. That's about as fast as I've seen anyone get, even for the Vega 64. So that's good. Cinebench OpenGL 135 fps, although even the GTX 680 got 100fps, I'm guessing because the CPU helps it along (only got less than 30fps when under the 3930K CPU)

Anyway, this card is awesome! I think the only reason to still think about putting the GTX 680 in is for DVI, but really, I should be just looking at upgrading to a 2nd 32", perhaps that BenQ model for $699!

Thanks guys.

I changed my profile to my latest build, but I already had all details in my post for the hardware I'm referring to.
The rules require that your system specs are in your profile not some random place of your own choosing.
This way you only have to enter them once and everyone can find them without searching this whole thread and any subsequent ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back