Should Apple Buy AMD?

• Yes

Votes: 93 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 114 55.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted no. If apple buys AMD then they could stop hackintosh builders from being able to make hackintoshes by stopping AMD from making CPUs and taking away support for intel.

But just because there is support for AMD graphics, doesn't mean that apple is buying AMD. Actually the latest AMD graphics would be good for apple price-wise.

Apple Buys AMD

- No more hackintosh
- Might lose AMD products from the PC scene
- Overpriced AMD products
- The PC scene loses competition so Intel and Nvidia products get overpriced too

I wish the best for AMD since i have been using their products for a long time mostly GPUs but stay away from Apple :)

No, if Apple would buy AMD they would use it to develop their own CPUs and GPUs for their own machines and no one else. That would mean the end of Hackintosh and if you ask me that is one of the main reasons they would do that.

I completely agree. In fact I'm surprised the 'yes' vote is so high on a website devoted to DIY OS X machines.

I'm not sure it matters either way. What if Apple buys AMD, strips it of tech and patents that it finds valuable and sells off the rest? It could buy AMD, keep the GPU stuff to enhance the iPhone/iPad and sell off the CPU division. I suspect the upsides of Apple buying AMD doesn't outweigh the downsides. Who knows what variation will be executed if any. I voted no, but Apple will do what it finds to be profitable.

Even though I've voted NO I understand that custom-PC market is dead in a long run.
Intel already has plans to kill desktop. So AMD acquisition is irrelevant. But I can see how it can benefit Apple.
Increasing integration is a general market trend with all the consequences for us PC enthusiasts.

I voted no, and here's why:

If Apple purchases AMD and has the ability to make processors in-house, there's a very good chance they will start doing so. Heck, they may even change things up to where AMD is no longer making PC CPUs (you never know). Now Apple has the ability to create proprietary CPUs, and we are back to the G5 procs all over again. Suddenly a bootloader and a few kexts is NOT all you need to run OSX on PC hardware, and the noble goal of buying retail copies of OSX to install on your hackintosh is out of the question. Distros become popular again and now we're talking about stealing.

Sure, it's only one scenario (heck they could open up hackintosh on the AMD platform too), but I would prefer Apple continue to rely on processors that I can for sure pick up on Newegg, not a platform that could easily become proprietary over night.

Totally agreed. Apple would just close the platform much more them it already is. and they'd increase even more all the prices for all devices.

I don't think the x86 license agreement can be transferred to another company without intel's permission.

I don't think the x86 license agreement can be transferred to another company without intel's permission.

But it isn't the license agreement for x86 that would be the problem, as it was AMD that came up with the x86_64 architecture and spec, that Intel also follows. That would remain open to Intel and every other OS that adopts it.

I'm on the fence on this, as I'm reminded of how Intel in the early 90s had their CPUs soldered onto the motherboards, prior to the ZIF socket coming out. The rumor is that they would be returning to something similar to that. That's what started the drive of people away from Intel to companies like AMD and Cyrix as alternatives.

Keeping the socket available would be the best thing for anyone wanting to build a Hackintosh, and we know that Apple would have a slewful of improvements that AMD could use.

But if this were to keep the DIY PC market afloat, Apple buying AMD and keeping the competition up with Intel couldn't be seen as anything else but a good thing.

BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back