Contribute
Register

Short's Beastly Build - i7-4770k - GA-Z87X-UD3H - GTX 770 4GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't displaying any audio outputs on OSX. But I was just using Multibeast wrong; everything works now. Thank you.

Oh, and, by the way, there is an updated version of the incompatible file that works fine. It's just .12 instead of .4, if I recall correctly.

Are you able to use the apple USB keyboard in the BIOS?

I had to use the USB cable extension to reach my tower and now the keyboard won't work. Apparently it sees it as a hub.

If I plug in directly to the front and sit real close to my tower, I can use it. Otherwise, no luck. This isn't a huge problem as I don't need to do a whole lot anymore, but I can't select an OS in Chimera either.

Minor issue...I know. Just wondering if you noticed it since we have the same keyboard, MB, & CPU.

I'm having a small audio trouble with this build. I've used you're newest config file with the latest version of MultiBeast, but, still, if I have audio playing from a given source for too long (YouTube is the biggest culprit, but music and movies do it too), the audio stops playing continuously and instead starts to break up, in a fashion similar to when a video's frame rate suddenly drops to 1 fps.

I have Windows installed on a separate hard drive and it doesn't have this problem, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any help?

Are you able to use the apple USB keyboard in the BIOS?

I had to use the USB cable extension to reach my tower and now the keyboard won't work. Apparently it sees it as a hub.

If I plug in directly to the front and sit real close to my tower, I can use it. Otherwise, no luck. This isn't a huge problem as I don't need to do a whole lot anymore, but I can't select an OS in Chimera either.

Minor issue...I know. Just wondering if you noticed it since we have the same keyboard, MB, & CPU.
You're right, you can't use USB peripherals before booting in the OS while using a USB hub. The only solution is to directly connect your keyboard to the PC.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having a small audio trouble with this build. I've used you're newest config file with the latest version of MultiBeast, but, still, if I have audio playing from a given source for too long (YouTube is the biggest culprit, but music and movies do it too), the audio stops playing continuously and instead starts to break up, in a fashion similar to when a video's frame rate suddenly drops to 1 fps.

I have Windows installed on a separate hard drive and it doesn't have this problem, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any help?
I have exactly the same problem on all audio ports. I bought a cheap USB sound card and it fixed the problem.

2013-12-01:
Everything works now! I sent back my mainboard and it was confirmed that there was a hardware problem with my mainboard. I got a new one and didn't have any freezes ever since.

2013-12-15:
After some days without freezes, thinking that the problem was solved, they came back.
Being very busy at the moment, I removed one RAM stick (now I have 24GB left) and set the DDR frequency to 1333MHz. I haven't had any freezes since.
As tailchaser stated in his build thread, he fixed the freezes by removing the AppleIntelHD drivers. I did the same and am currently testing wether this helps (I increased the frequency back up to 1600MHz).​

Just finished my build yesterday. Was getting random freezes without kernel panics. Had 5-6 in the first 2 hrs of use. Read your advice and here is what I did. Disabled Integrated graphics in Bios and made IGPenabler=no and since then no random freezes in about 7-8 hours of use. Didn't have to delete any kexts. Integrated graphcis are no longer loaded in system profiler.

another thing that I noticed is that my top two USB ports next to the PS/2 don't work well. I had the keyboard plugged in there and it would not work in Mavericks. Worked in Win7 and bios. Have not found a solution to this yet. I moved the keyboard to the lower USB ports (still the VIA USB ports, not the intel) but it seems to be working well there so far.​

Any luck with Haswell CPU stepping? I could not get it to go beyond: 8,35 in any of MP3,1 or iMac14,1 or iMac14,3 or MacbookAir6,2 system profiles. I have noticed XCPM stopped complaining when I added DropSSDT=Yes to boot.plist, but power states are still the same: 8,35 only. I am using F8K BIOS.

Always getting those:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3c

No DropSSDT and SSDT.aml - it would log:
XCPM: registered
IOPPF: XCPM mode
XCPM: P-state table mismatch (error:0x12)
X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - pmCPUControl (XCPMIO_SETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x12

No DropSSDT and no SSDT.aml - it would log:
IOPPF: XCPM mode
XCPM: P-state table mismatch (error:0x12)
X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - pmCPUControl (XCPMIO_SETPSTATETABLE) returned 0x12

DropSSDT=Yes and No SSDT.aml:

Currently using:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0c260000</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

2013-12-20:
The bad news: it froze again with one RAM stick at 1600MHz. The good news: it seems that flashing the F8j BIOS has fixed the freezes, I have been running with all 4 RAM sticks at 1600MHz without any freezes for 12 hours. I will let it run for a few days and give an update here. More on Gigabyte Beta BIOS here.
I have updated to the latest F8k and it seems to disable Turbo states. Do you still see Turbo states after F8j update? I believe Turbo states were working on F7, but of course it had freezes as side effect. I do not think freezes are specific to MB batch or manufacturing date. Mine (rev 1.1) came with latest F7 bios and yet it freezes.

Will the attached config file work with any build that uses this Motherboard? Thanks a bunch.
Well, the config file I provided is rather a base configuration than a uniform solution for every build. For example if you want to use your internal graphics, you'll have to set IGPEnabler=Yes.

I have updated to the latest F8k and it seems to disable Turbo states. Do you still see Turbo states after F8j update? I believe Turbo states were working on F7, but of course it had freezes as side effect. I do not think freezes are specific to MB batch or manufacturing date. Mine (rev 1.1) came with latest F7 bios and yet it freezes.
I'm not sure if turbo states work with the F8 beta BIOS, but I will have a look at that once I travel back home next week.
BTW: Did you upgrade to F8k from F7 directly? Because I was still getting freezes with F8j... I will update the first post now.

Well, the config file I provided is rather a base configuration than a uniform solution for every build. For example if you want to use your internal graphics, you'll have to set IGPEnabler=Yes.

I'm not sure if turbo states work with the F8 beta BIOS, but I will have a look at that once I travel back home next week.
BTW: Did you upgrade to F8k from F7 directly? Because I was still getting freezes with F8j... I will update the first post now.

Yes, I have upgraded to F8k from F7. No freezes of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back