Contribute
Register

Short's Beastly Build - i7-4770k - GA-Z87X-UD3H - GTX 770 4GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your preference official beta vs. modded? I never used modded one. Is there any benefits?
Don't know for this motherboard (Z87X-UD3H) as I don't have one. You'll have to determine what benefits there are for you're motherboard from the short description on the TweakTown site.

tonymacx6 used the Z87MX-D3H F5 Mod BIOS with good results; see his post here. I also use it my Z87MX, but will be updating to the just released F6 for the Z87MX.

So, if you're using F8m, you might want to try F8m Mod.

Hey guys, having the exact same issue here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/127987-freezing-z87x-ud3h-memory-mb.html#post783373)

System appears to run well on 3x8gb sticks but freezing starts right away when I go back to 4x8gb.

As far as I knew, the memory I bought was on the approved gigabyte list at the time. It's 1600mhz g.skill Trident X. (F3-1600C7Q-32GTX)

My system was running flawlessly unless yesterday morning and it all went to hell.

Have you guys been sending your motherboards back to Gigabyte for RMA? I am on bios F8m mod currently and it didn't fix the issue either.

Happy to report that the system has been 100% all day long under a heavy work load.

What still mystifies me is why did my system run flawlessly under Bios F7 for 2 months straight, and then all of a sudden come crashing down so hard?

It does appear that F8m is the way to go.

Thanks for the updates. I am not sure how you managed to survive without lockups on F7. Perhaps Mavericks updates could have "awoke the monster" at some point. Apple seems to be messing around with power efficiency, may be they pushing chipset too far to save a few mW ;-). I also noticed the risk of lockups greatly reduced when memory XMP profile is disabled in BIOS. I have XMP enabled on OEM F8m, not a single problem with stability. I also rolled 10.9.2 back to 10.9.1 to have sound working correctly after sleep/wake. One of the rare cases when "Do not fix what is not broken" is true. 10.9.1 seems to be the smoothest release so far for my hack.

I'm also experiencing the freezing issues.

My system is:
GA-Z87X-UD3H
i7-4770K
2x8GB Crucial BallistiX Tactical
GTX 650 (IGP disabled)
128 GB Crucial M4 SSD

I'm right now on official stable F9 BIOS version and still experience the issue. I have tried official F7 and F8 versions before, with the same problem.

I tracked down the problem to a USB stick. It's a Kingston 16GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler I.

Whenever I inject that stick, I get freeze in a few minutes. If I don't inject it, I don't get freeze. I tried for a few days already to be sure.

I tried both xHCI Mode - Auto and Disabled, and still when the stick is injected I get freezes. The same with XMP enabled/disabled for Memory.

So the problem looks like to be caused by USB for me. I don't know how I can fix this. Can you guys try injecting a USB stick and keep it there for a few hours to see if the problem occurs?

Official BIOS is the one with issues F7,F8,F9. The only way is to use F8m BETA BIOS (with suffix) so far.

I can confirm that F8 is unstable in terms of freezing, but F8m is perfectly fine, so I will stay on F8m for now.
I tried installing Mavericks on my SSD yesterday, but I got a kernel panic ("boot-uuid") even with -x. I was on F8 BIOS, so I will try it with F8m again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back