Contribute
Register

Shinew’s Build: GA-Z87X-UD5 TH / i7-4790K OCd 4.6Ghz / 16GB RAM / GTX 760 / El Capitan 10.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
CPU
Core i7-4790K @4.6Ghz
Graphics
MSI GTX 760 2GB 1084Mhz
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Shinew’s El Capitan Build: GA-Z87X-UD5 TH / i7-4790K OCd 4.6Ghz / 16GB RAM / GTX 760 / 10.11

shinew's El Capitan Build:
GA-Z87X-UD5 TH / i7-4790K OCd 4.6Ghz / 16GB RAM / GTX 760 / El Capitan 10.11

|COMPONENTS|

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPRWAX8

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH LGA 1150 Intel Z87 Dual Thunderbolt Ports Wi-Fi/BT4.0 ATX DDR3 2600 Motherboard
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GEUX9SU

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG9EEW

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIH8OW8

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W Power Supply
http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-Series-TX650-Supply/dp/B00EZ7Q1FC

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D14-Cooler-140x140x25mm-Corei7/dp/B008J49H4E

Apple Wireless Keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Wireless-Keyboard-MC184LL-B/dp/B005DLDO4U

Seagate 600 SSD 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s SSD
http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-Series-TX650-Supply/dp/B00EZ7Q1FC

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SSD
http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC128B-WW/dp/B0077CR60Q

4x more HDs for Windows 7, storage & backup

|COMMENTS|

This is pretty much a software upgrade from my previous Maverick Built here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-6ghz-16gb-ram-gtx-760-maverick-10-9-5-a.html

All the hardware(1 year old) and BIOS settings are identical. I skipped Yosemite all together and yesterday saw El Capitan came out and decided that it's time to upgrade. I've never used Clover install before and last night Unibeast wasn't available, so my method might not be the best or the quickest, I'm just posting what has worked for me and hope it'll be some help to people.

|PREPARATION|
Pretty straight forward, have the following ready:
BIOS setup:
only the ones I’ve changed are listed, the rest are left to default. For overclocking , check out the Overclocking section further down
  • Load optimized default
  • Advanced CPU Core Settings -> Turbot Boost: Disabled
  • Advanced CPU Core Settings -> C1E: Disabled
  • Advanced CPU Core Settings -> XMP: Profile 1
  • BIOS Features -> VT-d: Disabled
  • Peripherals -> XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Peripherals -> EHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Peripherals -> Thunderbolt -> Security Level: Legacy Mode

Preparing Bootable USB Drive
1. Insert USB Drive then open Disk Utility
2. Select the USB Drive -> Partition -> choose 1 Partition
3. Click on Options -> choose GUID Partition Table
4. Set the format to Mac OS Extended ( Journaled) & under name type "USB"
5. Click Apply then Partition
6. Open the Terminal app, copy & paste the following

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction
7. Hit Enter and wait for it to finish
8. Open Clover Package Installer, at Installation Type, click on Change Install Location and set it to the USB Drive you've just created then click on Continue
9. Click on Customize and check the following then click Install
Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 1.40.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-01 at 1.40.30 PM.png
10. Open Finder and navigate to your EFI drive's /CLOVER directory and replace default config.plist with attached config.plist
11. Go to the Download Kexts section of this site to download AppleIntelE1000, FakeSMC & NullCPUPowerManagement and copy them to the /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ folder
12. Download & copy the HFSPlus.efi to /Volumes//EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/, then remove VBoxHfs-64.efi

|INSTALLATION|
Reboot using the USB drive you've just created and follow the on screen instruction for installation.
Note: if you're stuck on "about a second remaining", as long as the mouse is still moving, WAIT! it took me ~15-20min to get past that screen, it'll reboot when it's done.

|POST INSTALLATION|
1. Open Clover Package Installer again, choose Customize at Installation Type and Check the Following
Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 2.02.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-01 at 2.02.43 PM.png
2. Click Install and then you should be able to boot from the internal HD/SSD

Sound
1. Download audio_cloverALC-100.command.zip, Click on Raw to download
2. Unzip then double click Downloads/audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0b to apply the patch
3. Restart and your sound should be working now

Power Management
PM should be working as is, use Intel Power Gadget to check
Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 2.07.06 PM.png

Wifi & Bluetooth
For the onboard AzureWave AW-CB123H card, install the Following Kexts:
  • FakePCIID.kext
  • FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext
  • FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext(not sure if this is needed)
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
To get the 5Ghz WiFi & Airdrop working, download & run the wireless_bcm94352-110-v4.0.command.zip, choose option 2 for the patch.

USB 3.0
Working out of the box

iMessage/iCloud/Facetime
It's working out of the box for me. If it's not working for you, give the following instruction a try, as it has fixed my Facetime problem in my previous Maverick Installation
"My Facetime & Message weren't working after installation" section from insanelymac.com for troubleshooting.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/#entry2020598

Sleep & Wake
You'll need to disable both WoL in the BIOs and in Energy Saver. In system preference's Energy Saver, I only have the first one checked
Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 3.13.38 PM.png

OVERCLOCKING
I actually have no need to overclock but if it's "free" boost, why not... :) So my approach to this is to see how fast I can push the i7-4790K without any additional hardware with minimum vcore voltage added(under 1.2v). I won't go into detail to explain the overclocking process since it's beyond the scope of this post. But I'll list my settings:
  • BIOS - Multipler changed to 46
  • BIOS - vcore: 1.195v
  • BIOS - CPU VRIN Loadline Calibration: Medium
CPU Temperature is 34c/71c respectively with the ambient temp of 25c.

|BENCHMARK|

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 2.58.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 2.55.14 PM.png

|PHOTOS|
DSC02950 (1).jpg
DSC02959 (1).jpg
DSC02957 (1).jpg

|CREDITS|
All the credits go to Tonymacx86.com and all the posters from other sites for their hardwork and sharing of their findings. Without them I would not be able to have a successful build as I merely just gathered all the info.

Attachments

• define-fractual-r4 (1).jpg
    define-fractual-r4 (1).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3,174
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 2.33.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 2.33.00 PM.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 3,251
  • config.plist-Standard-LATEST.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 448
To Moderator:
Posted in the wrong section. Could you move it to the User Builds section? thanks.

Amazing! Thank you!

I have to say, my setup was working great until I hit a small snag just at the end. After I setup Capitan and fav Clover to make that final change, I restarted. I booted from the SSD, without the USB, and I'm at the black screen with the White Apple logo and the white progress bar. It cruises all the way to the end and stays there and my computer doesn't do anything else. Have you encountered this before?

So you could boot from USB to the El Capitan, but not from the SSD?

couple of questions to help troubleshoot:
1) did you install clover to your SSD? use my install template if you have the same board
2) what error does the verbose mode tell you?

Hi Shinew!

Thanks for responding. Let me try to provide some more information for you.

To clarify, I followed your guide. After installation, I reached the operating system and set up my profile, desktop, etc. After Step 1. of Post Installation, where I did the customized installation, I rebooted the machine and I reached the Clover Boot Options and selected "Boot to OS X" then the black screen with the White Apple Logo and Load bar started, where it would reach 100% and sit idle. This has all been with the Installer USB plugged into the machine. I unplugged the USB and tried to boot with the same results.

To answer your questions:
1) Yes, I did install Clover to the SSD and I do have the same board.
2) I ran verbose, however I'll have to provide a snapshot for you to glimpse at, as I'm not that versed in that realm.

Thanks for the great guide, Shinew!

Hi Shinew,

Please see my verbose run here:
TSwhEUj.jpg

Would love to know what is going on, as most of this doesn't make sense to me.

I tried to re-install El Capitan all over again following your guide, in case I missed a step, but ended up at the same issue.

Are you sure that USB 3 is working on all of your ports? This MB has the Renesas USB hub for most of the USB 3.0 ports, only 2 are Intel. AFAIK, there is no solution yet for El Capitan and Renesas USB 3. Of course, I would love to be wrong.

UPDATE: this post is updated with solution

Hi Shinew!
Thank you so much for your amazing guide.

I have the same motherboard and my audio doesn't seem to work. Your link doesn't work, but I followed the guide by Tonymacx86 (the installation of the Clover package is a little bit different, since I can't change the options).

When I try to launch the command file I get a lot of errors. You simply mounted the EFI partition via Clover then launch the file?

So strange that we have the same motherboard and different issues.
The Pegasus R4 seems to work out of the box. I had some issues with Yosemite and on Mavericks I had to install different kext file. But I have to test it with Final Cut Pro X.

USB 3 works fine

My complete specs:

GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
i7 4770K
16GB RAM @ 1600MHz
ASUS GTX 770 2GB

UPDATE

I opened Clover Configurator to mount the EFI drive. Then I went to Finder -> Preferences -> Generals -> and I selected the Drives in order to see every hard disks on the desktop.

Then I copied to the EFI drive's /CLOVER directory your attached config.plist file. After a reboot I was then able to use the audio clover command (the 110 instead of the 100: it seems is not available: I found it on the "Installation Guide" of the website: direct link to the file). I selected yes to the first and the third question, no to enable HDMI from 4600.

I did this after the installation was complete.

I am now testing the Promise Pegasus R4 via thunderbolt port. On Yosemite it didn't work very well, now it works better. But I have to fully test it before declaring it a success. I still have to turn it on before starting the hackintosh, but it's a minor issue.

Some people complain about some issues with the USB ports. I am now using the Apple keyboard and a 4 port hub connected to the mainboard directly, plus a bluetooth adapter to work with the trackpad. For now no issues with these devices.

I tried to use all the ports with USB Pen Drives and I was able to see them all. When I tried to connect an external hard drive the system wasn't able to see it.

I then tried to connect the external hard drive via the 4-port hub but I was in no luck.

The only way to connect an external drive to my system is to plug it to the USB 2.0 ports or to my NAS and reach it through my network.

Thanks for now.

Last edited:
Shinew,

Thank you for posting this amazing tutorial; we pretty much have the exact same specs and this takes all the guessing out for me. One question I have is this upgrading to El Capitan on top of Mavericks or is this a fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back