Contribute
Register

Shiki values for Final Cut Pro and iTunes using new Whatevergreen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime z370 A-II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm trying to understand how Shiki is incorporated into the new Whatevergreen kext.

After a lot of trial an error, I've learned that iTunes video DRM and Final Cut Pro don't play nice together.

I can get one or the other to work but not both at the same time. In other words, I can get purchased movies to play in iTunes OR... Final Cut X to play/render with good performance & no distortion but I can't achieve stable iTunes playback AND distortion free, fast performing Final Cut.

It seems that Shiki values are the issue. Changing them turns on or off hardware acceleration & iTunes DRM. It also affects the distortion/render problems in FCX. Here's some examples from my trials:

A value of shikiva=1 in the bootflag gets me iTunes + no hardware acceleration in FCX -- FCX is Sloooow to render everything
shikiva=12 -- hardware acceleration in FCX (much faster renders!) but iTunes constantly crashes
shikiva=28 -- hardware acceleration in FCX and iTunes works for a bit but still crashes

What I'd like to know is there a current reference guide to shiki in Whatevergreen? What do the values do? And what are your experiences? Has anyone else achieved stable iTunes DRM playback and working FCX?

Tried searching but the old shiki reference pages are gone.

Where do I change this values? I don't use iTunes but I'm having problems in 10.13.6 3570k to render H.264 and H.265.
Your problem could be SMBIOS related, using iMac 19,1 seemed to have solved the rendering issue in H.264 for many users

Your problem could be SMBIOS related, using iMac 19,1 seemed to have solved the rendering issue in H.264 for many users

This?
SMB_BIOS_VERSION "IM191.88Z.0058.B00.1705091711"
SMB_PRODUCT_NAME "iMac19,1"
SMB_BOARD_PRODUCT "Mac-CF21D135A7D34AA6"

I just don't know where to put Board Product.

Board Type, Board-ID, Board Manufacturer, Board Version or Board Serial Number?

You
This?

You add in the bootflag section

E.g.
Shikiva=1 (or your value)

Yes, try different values. 1, 12 are common. 28 is another.

This?

That should go in your "Board ID" of your .plist.

At any rate, a Z77 should use SMBIOS iMac13,1, which is the same socket and CPU type as yours. Avoid using shiki in this case
Use latest version of Lilu.kext + Whatevergreen.kext for graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back