Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
UHD 630 / RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello,

I'm running High Sierra OSX and dual booting with clover in Linux Manjaro. All is working good.

My question is (apologies if this is out of scope), how would I go about sharing data on a partition between Linux and OSX?

I know OSX is able to mount EXT2 and EXT3... I know I could simply create a fixed partition using one of those, or even format as exFAT the partition for instance. Problem is I do not wish for a fixed partition. I'm using LVM in Linux to be able to resize as I need it, and thus would need to be able to access this LVM in OSX.

My disk is as follows:

sda
├─sda1 200M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2 92.7G 0 part /mnt/osx
├─sda3 619.9M 0 part
├─sda4 250M 0 part /boot
└─sda5 837.8G 0 part lvm
├──vg00-lvswap 8G 0 lvm [SWAP]
├──vg00-lvhome 10G 0 lvm /home
├──vg00-lvroot 20G 0 lvm /
└──vg00-lvdata 10G 0 lvm /data

* vg00-lvdata -> /data is the datavolume I'd like to share data in. It's currently formated as ExFAT.

I already read about Apple's CoreStorage, which seems to be a volume manager, but it cannot seem to find the LVM when I try listing it using:
'diskutil coreStorage list'.

I'd love to hear any advice or pointers as to how I could do this... if at all possible.

Much thanks !!
Pat

Have you tried formatting one of your logical volumes with FAT32? Mac OS should be able to mount/read/write it.

Have you tried formatting one of your logical volumes with FAT32? Mac OS should be able to mount/read/write it.

I tried it, but that doesn't change a thing. OSX still won't see it (at least not with 'diskutil cs list'). Problem isn't with the filesystem the drive formated in: OX can read both FAT32 and ExFAT. Problem is the fact that my "partition" is in a Linux LVM. OSX first needs to be able to "activate" the volume group my LV is in.

I have a feeling OSX simply cannot access Linux LVMs and that their won't be a way for me to not have a fixed partition for data sharing :(

Thanks, but I found it also. Gave it a try by copying to kext file to /Library/Extensions (that is how you normally install kexts no?), but that messed up my OSX install as it just wouldn't boot anymore. I had to go back in Linux to delete the kext file from my OSX partition... Plus it seems old. Last post in 2014... Nothing else. Weird... It would of been what I needed..

Thanks, but I found it also. Gave it a try by copying to kext file to /Library/Extensions (that is how you normally install kexts no?)...
No, it is not. You need to install the kext with a kext utility, such as KextBeast, available from the forum Downloads section.
Place the kext on your desktop and launch/run KextBeast. The kext will be properly installed and permissions repaired. Then reboot.

Okay I'll give it another try using Kextbeast. And how do you "uninstall" properly ? Simply delete the kext file like I had done ?

I do worry about using this solution (if it even works!) since the guy no longer maintains it since 2014 plus he doesn't even reply to his nails about it ..

I'll repost for update ..

Cheers ! Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back