Contribute
Register

Share your favorite Mac OS X software

Here's a great 3rd party OS X app. If you use screen savers you probably get easily bored with the standard options that are offered on your Mac/Customac. Now there are some apps available on github that let you stream the Apple TV video screensavers right to your Mac/Customac. I'm using the one by John Coates (aerial).

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/use-new-apple-tv-screen-savers-on-mac-os-x/

Link to Aerial: https://github.com/JohnCoates/Aerial
Have you managed to get the desktop wallpaper bit working? It cannot find the files for me. I am assuming it will be sort of a video on desktop?

Have you managed to get the desktop wallpaper bit working? It cannot find the files for me. I am assuming it will be sort of a video on desktop?
It's a screensaver not a wallpaper. Download the Zip file from Github and install it. Then activate your screen saver to see the video.

It's a screensaver not a wallpaper. Download the Zip file from Github and install it. Then activate your screen saver to see the video.
Ah ok, then you've not seen the fork of this one! There is a fork of this app that also enables video wallpaper of that same screensaver. I did a bit of research and as of June this year, the developer has given up on High Sierra. Apple changed the way -wallpaper worked and the best developer could do was enable screensaver as a small window on desktop. So basically, the wallpaper project is dead.

Just tested the screensaver version and it still works in High Sierra. After install select Aerial in the Screen Saver panel in System Prefs.
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 5.32.52 PM.png

Here's a list of my favorite Mac apps:

CleanMyMac X - Basically the CCleaner of macOS. It scans for junk files and extensions and many files you may want to delete or clean up and also let's you completely uninstall an app and all of it's supporting files.

CrossOver - CrossOver is an app that let's you run Windows apps without starting up a virtual machine by emulating a Windows environment.

VLC - VLC is a audio and video player that supports many many file types and is pretty customizable. It's also free and one of the best media players there is, IMO.

FL Studio 20 (Mac) - FL Studio 20 is an app that has been around a long time on Windows but has just arrived on the Mac. It's a DAW (digital audio workstation) that let's you record, edit, mix, compose and master music and audio.

Affinity Photo - A great photo editing app that rivals Photoshop, but is very cost friendly.

BetterZip - BetterZip is an archiving application that let's you compress and uncompress pretty much any archive format there is and let's you double click an archive to see it's contents before extracting, much like WinRAR for Windows.

Count It - An App that displays the frame rate of almost any game in macOS. It's similar to Steam's built-in FPS counter.

Boom 3D - Boom 3D is a system-wide audio equalizer and audio effects application that let's you alter the sound of your Mac, while also providing volume controls for each app running on your system individually and also allowing you to boost the overall volume of your Mac.

32 Lives - 32 Lives is an app that converts 32 bit AU plugins to 64 bit AU plugins. Very useful for music producers and anyone who uses DAW's and plugins.

Display Menu - Display Menu allows you to control different display settings, mostly all sorts of resolutions. I use it to turn the resolution insanely low on my second monitor connected to my iMac when I'm not using it so that my iMac doesn't work as hard trying to output video at high resolutions when I'm not using the second display.

Dolphin (Nintendo Wii Emulator) - Dolphin is an app that let's you emulate the Nintendo Wii and play your favorite Nintendo Wii games. Honestly, I only use it for the tank game on the Wii Play disc. Really cool game.

iGlasses - iGlasses gives you precise control over how your webcam captures video, such as brightness, saturation, exposure, etc. I'm not sure if it let's you use external webcams with it or not, but it works great with my built-in iMac webcam.

iStat Menus - iStat Menus - pretty much the go-to for anyone looking to monitor their Mac's hardware. It will tell you almost anything there is to know about your CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. An amazing app.

MediaHuman Audio Converter - Basically what it sounds like. It converts many different audio formats into a different format, such as .MP3.

Miro Video Converter - A simple app that converts video files into a different format. I hardly use it so I'm not sure of how many formats it can do, but it's simple and works.

Parallels Desktop Business Edition - Parallels Desktop is a virtual machine application that allows you to run many different operating systems within macOS without having to reboot your Mac. It's the best performing virtual machine I've used so far.

Phiewer - This is an excellent little app for viewing many different image files. It's a tiny bit like FastStone Image Viewer for Windows, which I also love, except Phiewer, like all Mac apps, is very clean and minimalistic and elegant. The only downside is Phiewer is just a tad slow when launching after clicking on a photo. Maybe future updates will improve it.

Radio Silence - Radio Silence is one of the greatest apps ever created and also the most simple to use. It's basically a super super simple to use, stripped down Little Snitch, but WAY better in my opinion. Little Snitch confuses me, but this is easy as pie and very very affordable. Highly recommend.

SteelSeries ExactMouse Tool - This is an app by SteelSeries that let's you disable the mouse acceleration in macOS, which is very helpful for gaming. It also makes your mouse feel way faster and you can't really adjust your sensitivity once enabling this app, so I recommend using a gaming mouse with this app, which has a way to adjust the DPI for the mouse.

Toast Titanium - This is an app that let's you burn CD's and DVD's and Data disc's. An old technology that is rarely used anymore, but once in a while I still find myself burning a CD with my external Apple Super Drive.

Intel Power Gadget - Intel Power Gadget allows you to monitor your Mac's CPU clock speed, temperature, power usage, and CPU utilization.

GIPHY CAPTURE - This app let's you record your screen and make an animated GIF image with the recording. You can edit the recording and then save it to a GIF file.

Unigine Heaven/Valley - Heaven and Valley are two different benchmarking applications designed to primarily test your Mac's GPU performance. It can perform benchmarks while displaying your Mac's GPU temperatures and other stats in the corner of the screen.

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test - This is an app for testing your Mac's SSD or HDD's read and write speed.

Avira Anti-Virus - A nice anti-virus for macOS that auto-updates itself and is very easy to use, except for having to use the Terminal for adding file or folder exclusions. Mac's are NOT safe from viruses like some claim, so whether you try Avira or not, I recommend an anti-virus of some kind.

Well, that's it. Hope my long list helped anyone looking for such apps. I think I have a collection of really useful stuff and probably some rare ones.

Virtualbox - Free software to create Windows virtual machine
Foxmail - Free and feature-rich Email client
Dash - Premium app to check API documentation
TeamViewer - Remote control of connected devices
IINA - Free and simplified video player supporting all popular video formats.

Virtualbox - Free software to create Windows virtual machine
Foxmail - Free and feature-rich Email client
Dash - Premium app to check API documentation
TeamViewer - Remote control of connected devices
IINA - Free and simplified video player supporting all popular video formats.
I am using irtualbox and Dash on Mac now.They are doing good job.

On my Mac.
Foxmail - Intelligent Email App.
VLC media player - Free and open-source media player for Mac.
Affinity Photo - A best photo editing app for Mac.
Skype - A chat software.
UUbyte ISO Editor- It is able to edit,burn,create and extract ISO Image.
Evernote - It is an app designed for note taking, organizing, task management, and archiving.

Last edited:
Back