HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Maintaining proper backups is crucial to saving time and energy rebuilding/reinstalling if anything happens to go wrong. Everyone has a slightly different method of backing up and cloning data. What is your strategy?

I maintain cloned copies of my 2 drives on my main rig using Carbon Copy Cloner.

ccc.png

http://www.bombich.com/

I have experimented using Time Machine incremental backups, but don't use it. However, I've found that using Lion's Revert function has saved me from overwriting a file once or twice. I also have my important long-term backups on DVD offsite.

Last edited by a moderator:
OS SSD -> OS HD1 -------------> OS HD2

-----------> UserPartition HD1 -> UserPartition HD2

-----------> DataPartition HD1 -> DataPartition HD2

all backed up using CarbonCopyCloner inside one rig
external backup using CCC in longer intervals to be stored in different fire section

additionally using TimeMachine for OS SSD (which includes the moved user partition automatically as it was done via the user preference pane)

Reinstalling? You can´t have enough backups of your OS to simply replace it once you exaggerated too much with kexts and stuff... :cool:

I also use CCC, and I love it!

Being the neurotic that I am, inside of my case I have an OS/App drive, a user drive, and then a large drive partitioned into three.

Partition one: OS/App gets backed up
Partition Two: User Drive gets backed up
Partition Three: Girlfriend's user space

Then I have another hard drive that I keep at work that repeats the above steps. This way if something happens to my computer (catches fire, stolen, flood, earthquake, the ghost of Steve Jobs comes and destroys it), I have an off-site backup of everything. Much cheaper than an online cloud service!

One of the few essential softwares out there just as Onyx is...and almost the only other one worth paying for next to Little Snitch! :geek:

Backup: TimeMachine

1/ System disc ( osx , graphic and audio softwares) cloned on a internal sata disc (it's into my drawer) :ugeek:

2/ Audio library disc ( soundbanks, audio samples, graphic textures etc..) cloned on a internal sata disc (it's also into my drawer) :ugeek:

3/ Audio and graphic projects disc (stowed on an external disc ) :cool:

Also using CCC for:
Lightroom Catalog + my Photos -> external Drive (running every time when connecting the Drive)

I have a cloned Partition by SuperDuper from my working Lion Partition.
My important files are on Dropbox, for everything else I have no backup, but I'm going to buy a Time Capsule at some time ;)

Program installers on nas drive with photos and music
Google music stores all my music
skydrive has my photos
With unibeast reinstall takes 10 mins
I dont care for complete system backups as reinstalling is fun! :headbang:

I use Crashplan

I've been using it for years with my Windows boxen but they have clients for all Mac and Linux too. They recently went to having a free version which is nice.

What it allows me to do is backup locally to another computer running Crashplan but also to my friends that I suckered into using it too. So that is my offsite backup. I have a Windows 2008 server in the house that maps users My Documents (windows) folders to a network share. Crashplan backs up that share.

I also run Crashplan on my Customac Mini as I use it as my primary desktop now. Backs up to the 2008 server and offsite to a friends house. Everything gets encrypted before transmission.

I'm also the offsite choice for 10 other people.

I use time machine . I still don't know how to figure out Encrypted Back up . I have two hard drives with one window 7 and another lion. I backup window 7 on mac hard drive and mac on window . I tried to make a free encrypted disk image and try to back up to that disk . My time machine never stops finishing backup. It backups until the whole disk image space full. Now I just use normal un-encrypted backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back