Contribute
Register

Share information between Mac and PC? (on same SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X99-UD5
CPU
Graphics
970GTX
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
I've installed Windows 8 and Yostemite on the same SSD drive. I do a lot of music production and I want to load the 300GB samples on one SSD that both Operating systems can share.

On the mac side I can see my windows drive and partitions, but can't write to them (tried adjusting disk permissions unless I didn't do it throughly enough that didn't fix it),

On the PC side, I can't even see the Mac partition.

Anyone know of a work around? - the system is running very smoothly, just having this hiccup.

My specs if they matter:

Intel Core i7 6-Core 5820k
Corsair H110 Cooler
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
1 GTX 970 MSI
GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD5 Motherboard
16GB Crucial DDR4 RAM

I've installed Windows 8 and Yostemite on the same SSD drive. I do a lot of music production and I want to load the 300GB samples on one SSD that both Operating systems can share.

On the mac side I can see my windows drive and partitions, but can't write to them (tried adjusting disk permissions unless I didn't do it throughly enough that didn't fix it),

On the PC side, I can't even see the Mac partition.

Anyone know of a work around? - the system is running very smoothly, just having this hiccup.

My specs if they matter:

Intel Core i7 6-Core 5820k
Corsair H110 Cooler
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
1 GTX 970 MSI
GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD5 Motherboard
16GB Crucial DDR4 RAM
Paragon app. You can get it for Windows, so Windows can read/write to OS X GPT+ partition or you can get it for Mac so OS X can read/write to NTFS partition.

Thank you that worked great! I had googled around a lot and found nothing like it.

Caution for anyone else who wants to use this method. Windows will think your drive is corrupt - DO NOT let windows check for errors it will destroy your Mac HDD - it said it would only check my external drive but ended up checking Yosemite too and now it won't boot. But oh well, live and learn.

Thank you that worked great! I had googled around a lot and found nothing like it.

Caution for anyone else who wants to use this method. Windows will think your drive is corrupt - DO NOT let windows check for errors it will destroy your Mac HDD - it said it would only check my external drive but ended up checking Yosemite too and now it won't boot. But oh well, live and learn.
If your sample files are smaller than 4GB, you can create a partition and format it MSDOS FAT with disk utility and both Win8 and Yosemite can read/write to the partition.

My preferred method would be to use the NTFS (windows) drive for sharing, and install ntfs-3g to enable writing to the drive from OS X. Here's a guide on how to do that. I don't think there's a good way to access HFS drives from Windows, at least not one that's free anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back