Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I got my 4530s, crucial SSD, HDD caddy and 4GB extra memory today. Since I got recommended to update the firmware of the SSD before installing OSX on it, I still want to boot in windows first.

I put the original HDD in the caddy and the SSD in the laptop's HDD spot. Now i'm starting the laptop but it says it doesn't have an OS installed (obviously). As I said I want to boot from the original HDD who is now in the Optical Drive spot. When in windows I can update firmware of the SSD.

I tried booting with Escape. F10 BIOS SETUP start up system diagnostics, instead of actual BIOS setup where I can change settings. System diagnostics is just a place to do all sorts of tests. Is there a way I can boot from original HDD with windows on it?

I got my 4530s, crucial SSD, HDD caddy and 4GB extra memory today. Since I got recommended to update the firmware of the SSD before installing OSX on it, I still want to boot in windows first.

I put the original HDD in the caddy and the SSD in the laptop's HDD spot. Now i'm starting the laptop but it says it doesn't have an OS installed (obviously). As I said I want to boot from the original HDD who is now in the Optical Drive spot. When in windows I can update firmware of the SSD.

I tried booting with Escape. F10 BIOS SETUP start up system diagnostics, instead of actual BIOS setup where I can change settings. System diagnostics is just a place to do all sorts of tests. Is there a way I can boot from original HDD with windows on it?

Hit F9 to select the HDD in the optibay during boot. You get that diagnostics thing if the HP BIOS detects a failed boot (really dumb on HP's part). Just retry, and the next time you won't get the diagnostics.

Hit F9 to select the HDD in the optibay during boot. You get that diagnostics thing if the HP BIOS detects a failed boot (really dumb on HP's part). Just retry, and the next time you won't get the diagnostics.

Ah I DID get into the right menu but the original HDD with windows on it (now in the optical drive bay) is not in the list.

C07zC.jpg

Guess I have to put the SSD in the optical drive bay just for this, and then swap them again?

Ah I DID get into the right menu but the original HDD with windows on it (now in the optical drive bay) is not in the list.

View attachment 40113

Guess I have to put the SSD in the optical drive bay just for this, and then swap them again?

Do you have booting from the optibay enabled in BIOS?

No. Because every time I try to get into the BIOS Setup system diagnostics is loaded.

edit: Scrap that, kept trying and im in it now. Keep you updated.

I searched every menu but I cannot find an option like that or related to that. Where is it located exactly?

I searched every menu but I cannot find an option like that or related to that. Where is it located exactly?

System Configuration -> Boot Options -> CD-ROM boot

System Configuration -> Boot Options -> CD-ROM boot

I think im missing that option. after Fast Boot I only see:

• SD Card boot
  • Floppy boot
  • PXE Internal NIC Boot
  • USB device boot
  • UEFI Boot Mode

I think im missing that option. after Fast Boot I only see:

• SD Card boot
  • Floppy boot
  • PXE Internal NIC Boot
  • USB device boot
  • UEFI Boot Mode

Here it is right under "Fast Boot" The option shows even when I have nothing installed there (right now my optibay is empty).

What BIOS version do you have?

Here it is right under "Fast Boot" The option shows even when I have nothing installed there (right now my optibay is empty).

What BIOS version do you have?

I updated my BIOS before putting in the extra memory, since the manual recommended it.

BIOS revision 68SRR Ver. F.29
BIOS date 09/18/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back