Contribute
Register

Set-up for heavy music production (BIG HELP PLEASE...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

Sorry for the language, I'm french and like all the french I'm bad in english.. :O I apologize for the writing !

I'm a producer/composer and I want to make my hackintosh because I can't buy a Mac Pro. Now I'm getting a Mac Book pro retina end-2012 and, logically, it always crashes when my audio sessions becomes heavy. My productivity is crashing with it ! I essentially use Logic pro, but also Live and Pro Tools. I need a set-up that could support all the very heavy VST's, effects, Kontakt banks and orchestral banks. I want a fluid system that could let me work in peace.

I'm a musician and also I make video clips for my project, so my second need (very very very very second) is to have a set-up to make video 4K editing.

I thought that this set-up could be ok, what do you think about it ?
- MOBO : Gygabite Z390M Gaming (but it could be another.. I'm pretty unsure for the MOBO and i don't really understand the features that are important)
- CPU : Intel I7 9700 (the I9 could be a better idea for you?)
- RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go (2x16Go) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP
- GPU : Sapphire 11276-02-40G Carte graphique AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56 Plus
- Power : Corsair RM750x
- Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2.5" (1 To)
- Seagate BarraCuda 2 to SATA
- CORSAIR HYDRO Series H115i PRO RGB (or be quiet! Pure Rock Slim BK008 ?)

Thank you for your advices that could be gold..!

Flo

This setup looks great, however there are a few things you want to consider! I do much of the same work as a musician and video editing. So, what I would recommend is making sure you you have an M2 SSD. When I upgraded my rig from the standard ssd to the M2 it was insanely faster in response and video muxing. I would also suggest you invest in a NAS or time capsule. With your projects making money to pay the rent, you don’t want a random update and or accidentally pushed button to hit you hard in the bank. This investment assures you will have your projects and a ghost image of your drive stored for restoration incase a new piece of software or added hardware wreaks havoc on your rig. Hope that helps.

Hello ! Thanks a lot for the answer and for the help. Yes, I didn't thought about M2 SSD but it seems to be far greater and faster for music production. Your experience is very precious ! I think I'm finally gonna take two SSD for a DUAL BOOT :

- For Windows ; Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (500 Go) - MZ-V7E500BW => 175 euros
- For OSX ; Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 (1 To) - MZ-V7S1T0BW => 107 euros

I didn't know either what was a NAS or a time capsule. I think you're right, it could be dangerous to run an Hackintosh without safety. Have you some advices of products ?

Hello ! Thanks a lot for the answer and for the help. Yes, I didn't thought about M2 SSD but it seems to be far greater and faster for music production. Your experience is very precious ! I think I'm finally gonna take two SSD for a DUAL BOOT :

- For Windows ; Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (500 Go) - MZ-V7E500BW => 175 euros
- For OSX ; Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 (1 To) - MZ-V7S1T0BW => 107 euros

I didn't know either what was a NAS or a time capsule. I think you're right, it could be dangerous to run an Hackintosh without safety. Have you some advices of products ?
Be VERY careful about installing a dual boot system. I'd recommend looking at @CaseySJ note on Windows10 in his golden build. But being a LogicPro X user myself, I found that having an M.2 NVMe drive makes a HUGE difference. I'm using the HP EX900 and it's working great (it's also much cheaper than the Samsung drives).

If you're strapped for money and 4K video editing is really secondary, I would value NVMe hard drives over graphics card. So I would get rid of the Seagate barracuda in favor of more M.2 NVMe storage and downgrade the Vega 56 to an RX580. I have a Sapphire Nitro RX580 and I didn't need to do anything to get it to work. Super easy to install and my wife does plenty of photo/video editing on it without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back