Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So here's the deal I recently got into the whole server world, remote login, file sharing and all the cool stuff you can do with dedicated/semi dedicated machine. I started out testing with an old computer I had lying around, though I only had the possibility to run Debian on a USB flash drive, so I would get some awful bottle necks when reading/copying files from the server, though the other way around was quite comfortable yet not satisfactory. So I want to build a server and get to the point where, regardless the computer I am using and of my location, I can remote login and get to do real work with good read/write speeds. I like Debian a lot for a server, it is way more flexible than OS X when it comes to configuration files and this kind of stuff and turn off the desktop environment is very easily done, but still, my primary client will be my MacBook Pro and who knows, perhaps I will build as well a Customac workstation for the heavy stuff. But as I pointed out I am very new to this world, so I don't really know which hardware to pick up. I know that such kind of server doesn't need over-powered hardware, but I want the machine to have really good read/write speeds for file sharing, big files as well, like movies. Watching a movie stored on my server would be swell so I can finally upgrade to SSD and not care for capacity on my laptop. Keep in mind that I am a student and the less money I can spend the better it is, but I will buy what ever is necessary to have the server work and be useful, otherwise I would be throwing my money away. So please could someone give me an idea of the hardware I would be needing for this project?

well it depends how much you have to store, if you had alot and wanted good reads and write well start saving because you'd want a 10k rpm 500gb-1tb hdd.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236243

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236244

if not a lot of storage an SSD would work. pretty much that straight forward. A 5400-7200 RPM drive would get you fairly normal performance.

EDIT: Also linux was invented just to be server operating system, that's probably why you like it more. (watch the movie Revolution OS)

I have recently upgraded from a WD Live book WD My Book Live 1TB Personal Cloud Storage NAS Share Files and Photos which did work well for about 2 and a half years. Had a problem with a reboot cycle and decided that I had all my movies, family photos, music and was worried that I would lose Everything. I used paragon to recover them as it was ext4 filesystem. Now I stripped it down formatted(HFS) the 1TB and have it as a back up un powered.

Now for the past 3 weeks I have invested in and used the SynologySynology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS212j (White) which to be honest has been brilliant to date. I have used 4TB in 2x2TB Raid 1 array. Just to be safe.

The interface is web so you can log in through your browser (most of them you can). Or you can locate it in finder. The read/write speeds are great. I currently have 750GB of movies, 25GB of music and 5GB of photos. I have my MBP late 2012 128GB SSD linked to this with iTunes so all my movies are in iTunes and available to watch yet not stored on the MBP. It streams brilliantly, a lot better than the WD. Same with music.

It can also be used for Time Machine back up.

There are many applications for it and easy to install directly through the server. It has a download manager which enables direct downloads. PhotoStation, iTunes server etc. I will post a couple of photo's. It just goes to sleep when not in use. 1.6Ghz processor.

You can set up VPN(Virtual Private network) to access it from anywhere. Also The iPhone/pad has apps for it too so you can enjoy pictures movies too, as long as they are the correct format.

Cloud Station can be used as your own personal Cloud Storage. Also there are single drive units, along with multiple. This unit can operate just on one HDD (use recommended drives from synology website, the list is long) so if you want to add another later it will be fine.
Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 13.51.00.jpgScreen Shot 2013-05-27 at 13.51.31.jpgScreen Shot 2013-05-27 at 13.58.24.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back