GeForce
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm using a Xeon cpu so I thought It would be a good idea to use server memory for my hackintosh. I'm using a motherboard that supports DDR4 memory. I found server DDR4 memory and was wondering if server memory can be used on a desktop motherboard?

I'm using a Xeon cpu so I thought It would be a good idea to use server memory for my hackintosh. I'm using a motherboard that supports DDR4 memory. I found server DDR4 memory and was wondering if server memory can be used on a desktop motherboard?
Check the board QVL for the RAM it supports.

You can only use the recommended memory for your motherboard and CPU. Typically server memory would be ECC (Error Correcting) and is a little more expensive (but not ruinously so). This means that the odd memory bit flip gets caught and corrected.

Some systems, such as ZFS file servers are very, very, very picky on memory and ECC memory is more or less a mandatory requirement. Desktop clients don't tend to need it, though there is no reason not to use it (money aside).

AFAIK your motherboard/CPU will determine whether or not you use ECC. I'm not aware of it ever being optional, also I *think* that certain CPU's demand it as well but not all.

I'd check very carefully about which Xeon CPU you have, which motherboards support it and then and only then work out which memory you need to buy as it could be an expensive mistake to make.

Rob.

You can only use the recommended memory for your motherboard and CPU. Typically server memory would be ECC (Error Correcting) and is a little more expensive (but not ruinously so). This means that the odd memory bit flip gets caught and corrected.

Some systems, such as ZFS file servers are very, very, very picky on memory and ECC memory is more or less a mandatory requirement. Desktop clients don't tend to need it, though there is no reason not to use it (money aside).

AFAIK your motherboard/CPU will determine whether or not you use ECC. I'm not aware of it ever being optional, also I *think* that certain CPU's demand it as well but not all.

I'd check very carefully about which Xeon CPU you have, which motherboards support it and then and only then work out which memory you need to buy as it could be an expensive mistake to make.

Rob.

I'm still a bit confused on how this works but the motherboard supports non-ECC so does that mean server memory doesn't work?

View attachment mb_memory_ga-x99-ud5-wifi_v1.1.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 3.58.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-26 at 4.03.46 PM.png

Motherboard is using non-ECC memory. This module is ECC. It should not work.

So I have to find ram that is non-Ecc for my motherboard. Should I look for a specific brand of ram or does it not matter?
I have also been thinking of getting fans for my ram. Would that help my computer in any way or would that be a big mistake to buy?

So I have to find ram that is non-Ecc for my motherboard. Should I look for a specific brand of ram or does it not matter?
I have also been thinking of getting fans for my ram. Would that help my computer in any way or would that be a big mistake to buy?
Again - for RAM brands/models see the QVL on the board OEM web site.
If the board specs do not say the board supports ECC RAM, but says it supports Non-ECC, then get Non-ECC.

Fans for RAM are more cosmetic than anything else if you have good case ventilation unless you are overclocking to the max and really pushing the RAM in your apps. Not something I would recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back