ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all.

I've got my hackintosh up and running with the latest version of everything and it works great...

apart from this one major problem.

SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair CW-9060025-WW Hydro Series H100i
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor

When using the Hackintosh for Gaming (Firewatch, Oxenfree, Team fortress, Cities: Skyline) or Editing and Motion Graphics work (Premier, After Effects, Cinema 4D) after a while, the PC will just lock up. The sound will cut, the screen will freeze like a screenshot. The keyboard doesn't respond when I hit CapsLock (as in, the light doesn't come on). The fans still spin and the light on the case is still on, but it is not responding. It needs a hard reset to get it back.

Now, this freeze, or lock, can happen after 10 minutes, 20,30,50 minutes. A hour or two. But it will happen.

And once I reboot, there's usually a 90% chance it will freeze within the first 5 minutes of logging in.

I've wiped OSX and installed Windows 10. Same problem. I've reinstalled OSX and it still happens.

Basic use if fine. Web browsing, Netflixing, Spotify-ing and so on.

Any idea what the problem could be? I have no idea where to start.

Cheers for the help
PM

Is your CPU overheating? Use some freeware to check while using the machine to see how it is going.

I checked the temps off CPU and GPU and they're fine. GPU is about 70C and the CPU is about 50C.

Hello? Anyone else with any ideas?

wow....didn't think my problem was so rare no one can answer me....

wow....didn't think my problem was so rare no one can answer me....

Yeah sorry, I am not sure. Since it is happening in both OSX and Windows it could be a hardware problem that I am not sure about. I would get on a Windows specific Forum (Linustechtips as an example) and ask around in there.

Well ****.... Cheers

It does sound like hardware fault somewhere. A freeze is basically the hardware going into a state it cannot recover from, which is usually associated with one of two things: Getting too hot, or, not enough power going to a component or components.

Try running the bare minimum components for the hardware to boot - disconnect any storage only drives (both from SATA and power sockets) plus any other peripherals, etc that are not needed for the system to function, and connect just your boot drive, and then run a game or something else like Geekbench to stress the system and see what happens. It it seems okay, power off, re-connect other drives / peripherals one by one, power on and test again. It's the only way to narrow it down.

I assume you've checked the obvious things like your graphics card possibly needing extra power connectors, and that these are connected and fully seated. You say your checked your temps - was this with a game or something running at the same time and not just idle temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back