Contribute
Register

Selling my late Mac Pro 2013 and building a Hackintosh, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I love the Mac Pro 2013 despite every one who has other opinions. I think it is genius design. But I want to get more bang for my buck. I like the AMD Firepro d500 but I feel like I would get more performance out of Nvidia Geforce since that works well with my editing programs. (Premiere Pro and After Effects with CUDA). Plus I game sometime and the d500 performance for gaming is abysmal. So I think I am going to sell the Mac Pro, take the money, and build and even stronger pc with the extra funds. The only reason I never wanted to was because I love the design and compact nature of the Mac Pro 2013.

So I am curious if there is a case out there that can handle a beast configuration. Like $5,000 - $6,000 of a setup. I don't want a huge case for it. I saw some trash can designs out there but I can't seem to find one to buy. Is it possible to find a small case like that? Something that won't over heat and can handle at least 10-12 core, 128 gb ram ,1-2tb flash PCI hard drive, maybe dual video cards etc. Or will I be limited? Even if I can't find a similar case to the 2013 model, maybe something that is small enough to hold that configuration. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I appreciate it =). I have build a Hackintosh before so I am familiar with the process.

Hey guys,

I love the Mac Pro 2013 despite every one who has other opinions. I think it is genius design. But I want to get more bang for my buck. I like the AMD Firepro d500 but I feel like I would get more performance out of Nvidia Geforce since that works well with my editing programs. (Premiere Pro and After Effects with CUDA). Plus I game sometime and the d500 performance for gaming is abysmal. So I think I am going to sell the Mac Pro, take the money, and build and even stronger pc with the extra funds. The only reason I never wanted to was because I love the design and compact nature of the Mac Pro 2013.

So I am curious if there is a case out there that can handle a beast configuration. Like $5,000 - $6,000 of a setup. I don't want a huge case for it. I saw some trash can designs out there but I can't seem to find one to buy. Is it possible to find a small case like that? Something that won't over heat and can handle at least 10-12 core, 128 gb ram ,1-2tb flash PCI hard drive, maybe dual video cards etc. Or will I be limited? Even if I can't find a similar case to the 2013 model, maybe something that is small enough to hold that configuration. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I appreciate it =). I have build a Hackintosh before so I am familiar with the process.

There are not many that build the kind of system that you have outlined. And a small form factor is also not usually done with beast machines.

You should look at the MSI Vortex line... the top of that line is interesting but still not a high core count. The key here is small form factor and dual custom GPUs.

Using solid PC hardware with high core count and reliability most likely puts you into X99 and/or maybe a dual CPU rig. It will take a lot of research and effort to build what you have outlined just because not many of us have the need and/or can afford that type of system. These would be AXT or EATX systems... think fairly good size tower case and most likely water cooling for the CPU(s) and GPUs.

The great majority of the hackintoshes built today can run well on 8 to 16 GBs of memory even though many put 32GB into their systems. I suspect not 1% of the hacks built will take 128GB of memory.

If you proceed with a project, please document it and share your progress as many of us will follow it with interest.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back