Graphics
Sapphire HD7870 GHz Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. Really hoping someone can help me solve this one. It's starting to get to me.

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, most current BIOS, Clover V2 R2976 bootloader, Yosemite 10.10. Single boot.
Ethernet port is connected to a new 8 Port D-Link Gigabit Switch with new Cat6 cable.
The Switch is connected to a new Apple AirPort Extreme with new Cat6 cable.
All devices in the household have specific IP addresses which have been assigned to their MAC addresses, all within the Airport Extreme. I've done it this way since forever, from now to 4 routers ago.
I use Lnx2Mac's latest Realtek81xx driver. Tried using regular Realtek drivers in the past.

Been having this issue on & off since Mountain Lion, late 2012. And its irritating. As it doesn't make any sense to me. There's absolutely no logical hardware reason for it to be happening.
So I'm looking for someone who can shed some light on the software reason, & hopefully the solution.

When the ethernet does work, it'll continue to work fine without any issues. Even after sleeping, or being left running for days. No problems there.

But every now & then, I'll turn the desktop on (cold boot, from completely off), boot to the desktop & have no internet or home network connectivity at all.
When checking in System Preferences > Network, my ethernet "en0" will have been assigned a random address, with a yellow dot, stating "Self Assigned IP Address".
If I attempt to create a manual address (with the exact IP required for my desktop, as assigned by the router), I'll get no connectivity.
Even if i let the router just assign addresses (without specifying an IP to its MAC within the router), same results.
While every other device continues to operate on the network normally.

In the past, 1 to 2 years back, it only used to happen once every 3 or 4 months. So it wasn't a big deal.
I used to be able to simply delete the Ethernet device from System Preferences > Network, then browse to S/L/E & delete the IONetworkingfamily kext. Then reboot. Add the Ethernet device back. And everything was fine again, for months.

Since then it's been happening more frequently. Probably 1 in every 3 boots now, since Mavericks 10.9.1.
The easiest & quickest way to solve it, when I was on Mavericks & now Yosemite, is to physically unplug the ethernet cable from the board, delete the Ethernet device from System Preferences > Network, & wait about 10 minutes. Then plug back in & add the Ethernet device & wait about 20 seconds.
Lo & behold, the correct IP shows up & everything instantly reconnects.

I've read that a lot of people have been having the same issue. And found that the Lnx2Mac site offers the unplug "solution".
Admittedly, the biggest possible fix that I haven't tried yet, is a format & a clean install. Which is planned, but not for at least 6 months or so, when I'm looking to install an SSD.

Does anyone at all have any solid advice? It has to be a driver or kext issue, right?
Thanks in advance :D

Same problem here. It plagued my build on Mavericks, but I foolishly thought it was a-okay with Yosemite as it was a-okay all last week. Shut down over the weekend, came back in this morning and the computer booted up with no ethernet connectivity, self assigned IP address.

The solution I've always used, as found on here (since many people report this), is to power off the computer, flip the switch on the power supply to off, press the power button a few times (it'll glow for a split second with residual juice I suppose), and then flip the switch to on and boot up. Fixes it every time, but it's a pain for sure. I have a Gigabyte H81m for the record, but in my research it's not limited to just a handful of boards.

Same problem here. It plagued my build on Mavericks, but I foolishly thought it was a-okay with Yosemite as it was a-okay all last week. Shut down over the weekend, came back in this morning and the computer booted up with no ethernet connectivity, self assigned IP address.

The solution I've always used, as found on here (since many people report this), is to power off the computer, flip the switch on the power supply to off, press the power button a few times (it'll glow for a split second with residual juice I suppose), and then flip the switch to on and boot up. Fixes it every time, but it's a pain for sure. I have a Gigabyte H81m for the record, but in my research it's not limited to just a handful of boards.

WOW!! Thank you @ansresource your solution solved my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back