Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare - F9b
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi!

I'm really new to this thing, but my goal is to build a powerful hackintosh for my friend's video editing (and audio production) purposes -- he mostly works in the Adobe suite and Ableton 10. If you have ANY ADVICE to offer, I appreciate it!

I've done a lot of research and I believe this should be a solid build, but wanted to check with some folks who have experience building computers before ordering the parts.

Some specific questions:
-Do these components look like they'll work together? I think they do, but if you're noticing something awry about them please let me know!
-If you know anything about Hackintoshing and want to weigh in on any part of this that seems like it's gonna make the install harder than it needs to be (along with suggestions for parts that won't have that effect), I'd love that!
-Are there any obvious bottlenecks that I should rethink?
-I picked this case because it seemed very well-constructed and like a roomy, easy case for a first build, but if you have a better suggestion I'm open to them!

-Once these parts are ordered, will they come with all the relevant cabling/screws/thermal compound/etc. i'll need for the build? I have a screwdriver, but that's about it.. Wondering if there's anything else I'll need to get going?

Okay, thanks again for any help! i'm excited to get going on this journey :)

Prospective specs:

Case: Case
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $519.99
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $79.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $299.00
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $369.99
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card $183.98
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX $144.99
Case Fans:
-Corsair AF140 LED (2018) White 2-Pack 62 CFM 140 mm Fans $31.42
-ARCTIC F8 PWM PST 31 CFM 80 mm Fan (x2) $16.98

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any case that you've picked. I would upgrade the liquid cooler from the H60 to this from Corsair:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-liquid-cooling-system-hydro-series-h115i-pro/p/2YM-000R-00077

The H60 isn't enough to cool a 9900K during heavy workloads while video editing. It might work for a non-K cpu that is clocked lower but not that CPU. If doing any audio recording note that liquid coolers have pump noise so plan on dealing with that. There are high end Air coolers that don't make as much noise.

will they come with all the relevant cabling/screws/thermal compound/etc. i'll need for the build? I have a screwdriver, but that's about it
A screwdriver is about the only tool you need, a #2 Philips. Everything else should be in the box for whatever parts are necessary. The PSU has screws and the case does as well. Sata cables come with the mobo. Only need those cables for Sata SSDs or HDDs nowadays. NVME SSDs don't require them.

Last edited:
What TRS96 said. Definitely consider other cooler options. Also consider that more fans = more noise. Liquid cooling is only as effective as the fans moving the air through your radiator. So... food for thought.

If you're recording audio at a professional grade, you'll want at least a quiet case or better yet, a setup that allows you quality isolated audio. That said, much of your audio will be determined by the hardware you're using to capture it, namely your microphone, and your interface.

As for the video side, an RX580 is certainly a perfectly reasonable card, though you're likely to get more mileage out of something a little stronger especially since that card is a few years old now. Though at it's price point, its hard to argue against it unless you're working with heavy media.

What TRS96 said. Definitely consider other cooler options. Also consider that more fans = more noise. Liquid cooling is only as effective as the fans moving the air through your radiator. So... food for thought.

If you're recording audio at a professional grade, you'll want at least a quiet case or better yet, a setup that allows you quality isolated audio. That said, much of your audio will be determined by the hardware you're using to capture it, namely your microphone, and your interface.

As for the video side, an RX580 is certainly a perfectly reasonable card, though you're likely to get more mileage out of something a little stronger especially since that card is a few years old now. Though at it's price point, its hard to argue against it unless you're working with heavy media.
Thanks for this!!

After some deliberation, I've decided to go with a Z390 Designare mobo, an NH-D15s cooler, & a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT video card. Also looked deeper into the dimensions of some cases, and opted to go with a Meshify C case... Seems like that'll be a bit more forgiving, considering this is my first build.

Thanks so much for the advice! It's really true that I was lowballing myself, GPU-wise.

Thanks for this!!

After some deliberation, I've decided to go with a Z390 Designare mobo, an NH-D15s cooler, & a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT video card. Also looked deeper into the dimensions of some cases, and opted to go with a Meshify C case... Seems like that'll be a bit more forgiving, considering this is my first build.

Thanks so much for the advice! It's really true that I was lowballing myself, GPU-wise.

Sounds like a good choice. Meshify's airflow is excellent and it looks damn good in person. If you decide it is still too loud, give the Define series a look. I use the Define R6, which is massive because I like that for some reason, but the other Define series are smaller and quieter than the Meshy. I cannot say enough good things about Fractal Design. They have seriously earned my love and praise.

Sounds like a good choice. Meshify's airflow is excellent and it looks damn good in person. If you decide it is still too loud, give the Define series a look. I use the Define R6, which is massive because I like that for some reason, but the other Define series are smaller and quieter than the Meshy. I cannot say enough good things about Fractal Design. They have seriously earned my love and praise.
Awesome -- thanks for the tips! The case arrived today and I'm just fiddling with it a bit to get the hang of the layout before the rest of the parts arrive

Some PSU Cable Extensions will go a long way in terms of aesthetics if that's your bag. I used some on my most recent build and holy jeebus it makes for a pretty rig.

Glad you found it helpful! Best of luck with the rest of the build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back