Contribute
Register

Security Update 2020-005 (High Sierra) & (Mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what the linked article claims. I don't have any first hand experience, I waited long enough that the supplemental update came out before I updated.

Okay.

When the supplemental "repair" came here, it was just a Safari update of 63mb (IIRC), so that pretty certainly points to the culprit.

I'm in the dark with these problems.

I installed 2020-005 on Mojave with zero problems, except overall RAM usage. No system slow-downs at all.

I then installed the Safari 14 fix, seeded by Apple, and again zero problems, with the bonus that overall RAM usage was over 50% less.

No problem with other software. No beach-balls. No obvious slow-downs.

Hardware as per my profile with 32GB RAM.

I wonder what is causing the reported problems? This is "need to know" stuff.
I‘m still running Mojave with the xxx-003 security update and then I installed the „original“ Safari 14 update. No problems at all. Ram, Boot, Safari.... Everything pretty normal. Will I install the „repair“ update??? Hell no!!!

Don‘t know if it helps, but starting somewhere between 004 and 005 is where something went wrong big time....

For some reason, I can't install this update.

I'm on High Sierra 10.13.6.

I download the update from the App Store, and then restart when prompted.

I then boot into the "Install" boot volume and it starts installing but then stops 10 seconds later.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but did manage to save the log file if anyone is interested in looking..

Attachments

• Installer Log 10-13-20.txt
    19 KB · Views: 103
I have a similar problem on Mojave. Tried updating clover to 5122, but to no avail.

After starting the update, the black screen shows some progress, then reboots.
After booting into "Install macOS", the pink lines appear (they don't on the "original" 10.14.6) and the status bar moves ever so slowly forward, but after about 10-15 seconds, all disk activity stops. At about 3/4, the status bar also stops, and after 1-2 minutes, the computer reboots and repeats...

Anything I could try and change in clover settings?

Loaded drivers in clover are ApfsDriverLoader, AptioMemoryFix, AudioDxe, DataHubDxe, FSInject, NvmExpressDxe, SMCHelper, VBoxHfs.

I have some kexts, which I put in HD/Library/Extensions on recommendation from this forum after switching to the 5xxx clover. These are - in addition to macOS' own kexts - AppleALC, IntelMausiEthernet, Lilu, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen and (possibly) SMC{BatteryManager|LightSensor|Processor|SuperIO}, all current as of December 19.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

finally did the install for Mojave, with trepidation. Everything worked out, but the progress bar after reboot didn't move hardly at all. Full process took an hour.

I haven't noticed higher memory usage. Maybe a bit less memory usage after the "supplemental update" installed.

Did a CCC backup, then applied the update to High Sierra. 3 reboots and 18 minutes. Seems to be working fine.
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 3.00.44 PM.png

Safari has "no available updates" and is at version 13.1.2
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 3.08.15 PM.png

Confirmed working on Z97-P // 4790K running Mojave. Safari updated as well. Chose the macOS install volume in clover 2 times. So far no problems, but had about 2 minutes of black screen during the update after the second reboot. CCC'ed before.
And now i see there's a 006-update pending :)

Saw some of the issues others were having but finally installed the 2020-005 Mojave update tonight, it went fine, took about 10 minutes. As soon as I was back on the desktop checked version number (18G6032) and and saw there was a 2020-006 update to install now as well. Did that one too, also about 10 minutes, no issues (Version 18G6042).

As always backed up, CCC'd to a second drive, then disconnected all drives except main one before update(s).

People at the Macrumors forum are complaining about slowdowns and higher RAM usage.
I have a very similar setup and I've lost my audio with 2020-005 10.13.6. I use the standard headphone out, but now only have option for HDMI. Any audio issues for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back