Contribute
Register

Security Update 2020-005 (High Sierra) & (Mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys the Security update as well as Safari 14 has been pulled for Mojave.

I wonder if Apple are now building on an earlier removal ...

Software Update appeared today in System Prefs - 68.9MB as @mattus stated.

2-mins and a reboot later Safari is still at 14.0 and macOS 18G6032.

Was wondering if it hadn't successfully installed but checking, agree with @mattus that memory usage has dropped significantly - 10GB down to 3.97GB as I type this.

:thumbup:

HP EliteBook Folio 9480m (with BCM94352Z) running Mojave almost flawlessly for the last month. Applied the latest security update without issue until I noticed the Bluetooth is no longer working. Previously I had upgraded to Catalina but had the same issue with Bluetooth so reverted to Mojave. Looks like I'll have to live without Bluetooth until a solution is figured out.
It is an already solved issue. I had it too with my HP Elitebook 1040 g3.
Here's the solution:
Post #3

Just rolled back to the pre-update state with Time-machine to get smooth working again (2020-004?). 2020- 005 initially gave me boot problems with the dreaded no entry on the boot disk until I re-arranged the SATA cables, SATA3-0 (6Gb/s) to OSX disk (Integral P Series 5 480Gb SSD) paired with trad 1Tb HDD for Time Machine on SATA3-1. This seems to be the best to reliably avoid this problem which I have read may be a timing issue in SATA interface initialization. I moved another SSD for Linux (Manjaro/Arch) from SATA3-1 to SATA2-2 (3Gb/s) with an HDD SATA2-3. Linux boot times are not noticeably slower. This may help others who have this issue. The older motherboard may be to blame (Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI)

The real problem with 2020-005 showed as a slowdown in boot time followed by a real slowdown in performance. The frequent appearance of the spinner on launch of applications and games. Games are really unplayable with 2020-005, the previous 2020-004 update is fast and smooth using a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Pulse 8Gb. So for now I'm holding on to 2020-004 until a further update resolves this. Adding memory from 12-16Gb as insurance against memory bloated updates!

Last edited:
I recently got my old hack up and running with OpenCore and a fresh install of High Sierra. Everything seems to be working except installation of this Security Update. Whenever I apply it, it begins the install process, restarts, and then boots back to my desktop. The second install phase never begins.

I know normally with Clover the temporary "macOS install" partition that contains the security update would show at the boot picker but with OpenCore it's not. Am I missing something in my Config file to allow all partitions to show or is there some value in OpenCore I need to specifically set for updates like this?

Had both Security Updates installed on my main machine and both High Sierra and Mojave booted and worked fine afterwards. (Well, actually I cloned the systems to another disk using SuperDuper and performed the installations on another machine which worked fine, and then cloned the system back to my main machine using SuperDuper again.)

The initial version of Safari 14 caused all sorts of problems on Mojave. I have not installed the modified version of Safari 14 on Mojave (Apple called it Mojave Supplemental Update). I don't plan to install it and will wait at least until the next Safari update.

Edit : I am still on Safari 13.1.2 on Mojave.

Last edited:
Had both Security Updates installed on my main machine and both High Sierra and Mojave booted and worked fine afterwards. (Well, actually I cloned the systems to another disk using SuperDuper and performed the installations on another machine which worked fine, and then cloned the system back to my main machine using SuperDuper again.)

The initial version of Safari 14 caused all sorts of problems on Mojave. I have not installed the modified version of Safari 14 on Mojave (Apple called it Mojave Supplemental Update). I don't plan to install it and will wait at least until the next Safari update.

I'm in the dark with these problems.

I installed 2020-005 on Mojave with zero problems, except overall RAM usage. No system slow-downs at all.

I then installed the Safari 14 fix, seeded by Apple, and again zero problems, with the bonus that overall RAM usage was over 50% less.

No problem with other software. No beach-balls. No obvious slow-downs.

Hardware as per my profile with 32GB RAM.

I wonder what is causing the reported problems? This is "need to know" stuff.

I'm in the dark with these problems.

I installed 2020-005 on Mojave with zero problems, except overall RAM usage. No system slow-downs at all.

I then installed the Safari 14 fix, seeded by Apple, and again zero problems, with the bonus that overall RAM usage was over 50% less.

No problem with other software. No beach-balls. No obvious slow-downs.

Hardware as per my profile with 32GB RAM.

I wonder what is causing the reported problems? This is "need to know" stuff.
Reportedly the problems occurred if you installed Safari 14 before the security update:

Safari 14.0 + Mojave 2020-005 Security Update Causing Major Problems!

(Link from macintouch.com).

Reportedly the problems occurred if you installed Safari 14 before the security update:

Safari 14.0 + Mojave 2020-005 Security Update Causing Major Problems!

(Link from macintouch.com).

Interesting thanks :thumbup: (I've seen the link before).

For me SU 2020-005 and Safari 14 came as two separate updates. Does that mean that if someone installs Safari first, and then the SU they get the problems? But if they install the SU first and then Safari, like me, they don't (apart from memory usage) ?

That would certainly explain it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back