Contribute
Register

Security Update 2020-005 (High Sierra) & (Mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
High Sierra SecUpd 2020-005

I ran the update last night and got to where it requested a restart. It wouldn’t.

Tried several times to get it to restart and even left overnight. Just sat there with black screens. I could reboot using the reset switch. It wouldn’t respond to “shut down” or “restart” on the Apple menu after this reboot.

I have restored from my Time Machine backup.

All previous security updates have worked fine.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas what’s happening?

High Sierra SecUpd 2020-005

I ran the update last night and got to where it requested a restart. It wouldn’t.

Tried several times to get it to restart and even left overnight. Just sat there with black screens. I could reboot using the reset switch. It wouldn’t respond to “shut down” or “restart” on the Apple menu after this reboot.

I have restored from my Time Machine backup.

All previous security updates have worked fine.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas what’s happening?

Hi there.

Usually the common cause of a problem is the Firmware stage. This update has actually been generally okay but of course no two machines are identical unlike real Macs.

Did you use the Software Update option or download the combi installer manually?

If the first, check your Drive: Library/Updates folder for a folder made up of numbers ...
:)

Thanks UtterDisbelief.

I downloaded the disk image, SecUpd2020-005HighSierra.dmg directly from the Apple Website https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2053?locale=en_AU

Although you suggest I check Library/Updates if your first option, should I have that folder anyway because I can’t find.

You suggest it is at the Firmware stage can I do anything about that?

Is there anything else I should check?

Most grateful for your assistance.

Thanks UtterDisbelief.

I downloaded the disk image, SecUpd2020-005HighSierra.dmg directly from the Apple Website https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2053?locale=en_AU

Although you suggest I check Library/Updates if your first option, should I have that folder anyway because I can’t find.

You suggest it is at the Firmware stage can I do anything about that?

Is there anything else I should check?

Most grateful for your assistance.

The advantage of acquiring the update through System Update is that it is delivered as a folder of files, whereas the single file download is all combined into one. From the folder of files we can be selective about what we use and bypass the problematic ones.

Repair permissions using Hackintool after the security update on 10.13.6 and 10.14.6.
That will fix the slow boot.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Why would you want the system to discard data that was loaded from slow storage in to fast RAM when (1) it may be used again, and (2) you have plenty of free RAM?

Edit: Mea Culpa, it appears there is a legitimate issue with excessive RAM usage, among other things. While my point still stands in general, I was wrong it this case.
Yes of course, your reasoning is correct. But I just noticed that the RAM usage for the OS has doubled.

The real problem, however, is the freeze shortly after boot. In my case it is due to the UAD driver, others had the same problem with Dropbox and other applications at startup.
AFAIK the problem is with the OS and not the apps.

I believe these security updates are a disaster, and for many professional users who use special software is not always safe to upgrade to a new OS.

If you are on Mojave and have not yet installed the 2020-005 Security Update, read this first :

Personally I would wait it out and not update any time soon. I think it is unwise to update so soon after these updates are released, especially when there are major problems like the Mojave 2020-005 and the previous 10.15.6.

Personally I would wait it out and not update any time soon. I think it is unwise to update so soon after these updates are released, especially when there are major problems like the Mojave 2020-005 and the previous 10.15.6.

In fact I usually wait before updating, as I waited for the Security Update 2020-004. But the problems encountered with the 2020-004 version were known to few and in a few forums they talked about it.

In an Apple forum there was talk that a corrective update would be released as soon as possible, so I was hoping that the 2020-005 version would fix these issues as promised. However, this is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back