Contribute
Register

Security Update 2020-005 (High Sierra) & (Mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The advantage of acquiring the update through System Update is that it is delivered as a folder of files, whereas the single file download is all combined into one. From the folder of files we can be selective about what we use and bypass the problematic ones.
Hi
I am having the same problem as the previous person - try to install, restart, it gets stuck on boot, and wehn I force reboot no update is applied. You mention that it's possible to update selectively using the files in the Update folder avoiding the Firmware update? how do I do that? Here is what I see in the update folder (see screenshot). Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 18.49.26.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 18.49.26.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 73
Hi
I am having the same problem as the previous person - try to install, restart, it gets stuck on boot, and wehn I force reboot no update is applied. You mention that it's possible to update selectively using the files in the Update folder avoiding the Firmware update? how do I do that? Here is what I see in the update folder (see screenshot). Thanks.

Hi there.

Back up anything vital first.

Okay, run SecUpd2020-005HighSierra.pkg on its own.

See how you get on and that the build number moves on.

That won't update the Recovery Partition - there's a separate file for that. Your choice. For point releases I rarely bother.

:)

Hi there.

Back up anything vital first.

Okay, run SecUpd2020-005HighSierra.pkg on its own.

See how you get on and that the build number moves on.

That won't update the Recovery Partition - there's a separate file for that. Your choice. For point releases I rarely bother.

Thanks! I ran this installer, and it did work! However there is a problem: I still cannot reboot properly, and I cannot turn back the NVidia Web driver. When I restart, it get's stuck on a black screen just with the mouse pointer working. When I force it to restart it works, but NVidia would not get back on. I think because I tried to install the full package downloaded from the start of this thread, somewhere the system thinks I am still trying to update? How can I fix that? Another question - should I run any other installer from this folder?

Thanks! I ran this installer, and it did work! However there is a problem: I still cannot reboot properly, and I cannot turn back the NVidia Web driver. When I restart, it get's stuck on a black screen just with the mouse pointer working. When I force it to restart it works, but NVidia would not get back on. I think because I tried to install the full package downloaded from the start of this thread, somewhere the system thinks I am still trying to update? How can I fix that? Another question - should I run any other installer from this folder?

Glad the update worked. :thumbup:

Check your High Sierra build number. Then compare it with the NVidia driver list we hold -

You will need to update the drivers to match.

As for running any of the other files, apart from the Recovery option if you want to try it, the others are the firmware which caused the problem in the first place, so steer clear.

---

Yes, you may still have the full package update installer package waiting to be activated. Usually it's easy to spot on the Root folder of your main drive. Of course you can always (copy somewhere for safety) remove the numbered update folder in Library/Updates too. I'm sorry I can't be more specific because I'm not familiar with your own set-up and machine, but personally I've had this happen and just deleted the installer folder with its files. No harm done. Any future updates need to be re-run to install.

Hope that helps.

Glad the update worked. :thumbup:

Check your High Sierra build number. Then compare it with the NVidia driver list we hold -

You will need to update the drivers to match.

As for running any of the other files, apart from the Recovery option if you want to try it, the others are the firmware which caused the problem in the first place, so steer clear.

---

Yes, you may still have the full package update installer package waiting to be activated. Usually it's easy to spot on the Root folder of your main drive. Of course you can always (copy somewhere for safety) remove the numbered update folder in Library/Updates too. I'm sorry I can't be more specific because I'm not familiar with your own set-up and machine, but personally I've had this happen and just deleted the installer folder with its files. No harm done. Any future updates need to be re-run to install.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advise. Nvidia drivers have auto-updated immediately afterI managed to apply the OS update. So the driver should be up to date. However I think that this restart problem is causing it to turn off. I will try to update it manually from your list again.
I am sifting through any recent files on my hard drive, but do you have at least some idea what to look for? I don't want to end up deleting some crucial files. :) I did delete the files in the Update folder, yes. And I do have a Time Machine backup of course just in case, but it's another hassle... the installer I ran in the beginning was this one:
  • image.jsp
    Download Security Update 2020-005 (High Sierra)
    Security Update 2020-005 is recommended for all users and improves the security of macOS.
    Sep 24, 2020
  • Download

thanks for the advise. NVidia drivers have auto-updated immediately afterI managed to apply the OS update, so the driver should be up to date. however I think that this restart problem is causing it to turn off. I will try to update it manually from your list again.
I am sifting through any recent files on my hard drive, but do you have at least some idea what to look for? I don't want to end up deleting some crucial files :) I did delete the files in the Update folder, yes. And I do have a Time Machine backup of course just in case, but it's another hassle... the installer I ran in the beginning was this one:

First thing to do id positively check the NVidia driver version against the High Sierra build number. I gave you the link for that.

Next, check NVRAM is working. This is where Nvidia's drivers store their state - on or off. There is a test you can do to check if your motherboard has native NVRAM or whether it needs emulating. Obviously if it is native then no work is needed, but if you need to emulate then a bootloader update might be required.

Of course another test is whether or not the setting you choose in the System Preferences Nvidia driver pane holds over a reboot.

First thing to do id positively check the NVidia driver version against the High Sierra build number. I gave you the link for that.

Next, check NVRAM is working. This is where Nvidia's drivers store their state - on or off. There is a test you can do to check if your motherboard has native NVRAM or whether it needs emulating. Obviously if it is native then no work is needed, but if you need to emulate then a bootloader update might be required.

Of course another test is whether or not the setting you choose in the System Preferences Nvidia driver pane holds over a reboot.

Wawaweewa!!! Seems that I solved the problem(s) by doing 2 things: one - reinstalled the NVidia drivers, and second - removed the files ".SoftwareUpdateAtLogout" and ".StagedAppleUpgrade" from the private/var/db folder. I keep them safe just in case, but seems all is working now! 3 hours of stress and what a joyful relief! :) Thanks for your help!
P.S. Just for clarity - I bought this PC from a friend and I am not an expert on how it's all built. I know it's with Clover boot - I am still learning about all this (by accidentally creating problems and then trying to solve them :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back