Contribute
Register

Security Update 2020-003 (High Sierra) & (Mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed using the downloaded "SecUpd2020-003Mojave.dmg" from apple.com/downloads. Succeeded, at the end, after rebuilding the system kext cache (still at an additional external ssd, the internal disk is still my previous working system). Clover r5117.

SecUpd2020-003Mojave.dmg contains the package SecUpd2020-003Mojave.pkg. With Unarchive I can extract the contained subpackages within this package, among which SecUpd2020-003Mojave.pkg (851.6 MB) and SecUpd2020-003Mojave.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg (885 bytes), but I could not use these subpackages for installing, message "The operation couldn't be completed (com.apple.installerpagecontroller error -1.) Couldn't open SecUpd2020-003Mojave.pkg". Therefore I installed the regular package SecUpd2020-003Mojave.pkg, which still includes FirmwareUpdate.pkg etc. as well.

Rebooted twice during the installing, both directly continuing onto the external drive. The 3rd time it rebooted into Clover, though the installation did not seem fully finished. Next, booting the external drive failed twice, the third time it booted successfully into 10.14.6 (18G5033). MacOS comes up and the installation looks properly finished. Everything looked ok. Nop, not fully done yet.

When I try to reboot the fresh 10.14.6 (18G5033), rebooting fails twice. The third time I reboot in Safemode, this works. Next, I do a rebuild system kext caches. After that, rebooting 10.14.6 (18G5033) is stable. System works ok, Safari, Mail, iTunes all appear fine. The RecoveryUpdate has been created on the external drive as well and this boots ok as well.

Note.
As mentioned already at https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/di...-enterprise-options-for-macos-software-update, Apple changed its software update policy. Software Update advertises to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.5, and ignores "sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina" ". Message: "Ignoring software updates is deprecated.
The ability to ignore individual updates will be removed in a future release of macOS." You can suppress the red dot with "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0". Still I wonder, will we receive automagic updates in the future...., would there be a good method to prevent this?

Last edited:
Just updated my Mojave through the online update procedure without any problems.

Just updated mine as well through online update, seems to work fine. I always run kext utility afterwards just for permissions (its an old habit!).

Updated to 10.14.6 (18G5033) on the internal disk using the online update. After download, installed from /Library/Upfates/061-90107/SecUpd2020-003Mojave.pkg. Installed well (3 reboots, last one directly into MacOS) without any issue. First reboot was awkward. Did a rebuild system kext cache after that, rebooted after that several times. Before installing I duplicated the /Library/Updates/061-90107 (the update packages are gone after the update to 18G5033).

A few hiccups:
- after the (successful) installation SecUpd2020-003Mojave.pkg indicated that the update had not been installed successfully. Not true.
- first reboot after the update did not finish, infinite message "Windowsserver [] triggered unnest of range 0x7fff39800000 > 0x7fff39a00000 of DYLD shared region in VM map... While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until target exits.". Forced power down and rebooted (rebuilt system kext caches after that).
- APFS Recovery volume had not been updated (terminal command 'sw_vers'), still 10.14.6 (18G4032). Tried 3x, but for me the duplicated package SecUpd2020-003Mojave.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg did not update Recovery. Downloaded SecUpd2020-003Mojave.dmg from apple.com/software, and ran the updater over the installed update. Rebooted 3x, without any issue. The APFS Recovery volume had now been updated. Did a rebuild system kext cache after, just to be sure..

Last edited:
Is there a new version of this security update for High Sierra? I applied a version late last month after the new WebDriver version (136) came out, but now App Store is signaling an update available by the same name again.

There DOES appear to be a new Webdriver version available now, based on Vulgo's webdriver --list tool.

Wondering if it is "safe" to apply this new version of same update and even newer WebDriver - anyone already done this yet?

Is there a new version of this security update for High Sierra? I applied a version late last month after the new WebDriver version (136) came out, but now App Store is signaling an update available by the same name again.

Apparently was one 26th May (Nvidia Graphics Driver 387.10.10.10.40.136), then a REVISED one on 1st June (Nvidia Graphics Driver 387.10.10.10.40.137)

Apparently was one 26th May (Nvidia Graphics Driver 387.10.10.10.40.136), then a REVISED one on 1st June (Nvidia Graphics Driver 387.10.10.10.40.137)
The second version of the update uses kernel 17G13035 which requires the .137 driver. Confusing by Apple to release two updates days apart with the same name.

Hi, I upgraded downloading the dmg update , and now the Hackintosh doent start up , it automatically reset before finish the startup. I think is some problem with the graphics, I have a Radeon RX590. Someone have the same problem??
Thanks

Hi, I upgraded downloading the dmg update , and now the Hackintosh doent start up , it automatically reset before finish the startup. I think is some problem with the graphics, I have a Radeon RX590. Someone have the same problem??
Thanks

Hi there.

Please update your hardware profile so that people can try and help you - it is unlikley that you have an RX590 in your i3 NUC etc.

and for now and future:
- noted changes in software update policies by Apple as referred to in, https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/di...-enterprise-options-for-macos-software-update

Unfortunately, yes. Reports "Ignoring software updates is deprecated.
The ability to ignore individual updates will be removed in a future release of macOS."

Seems like you'd no more be able to ignore the all the nagging Apple does to upgrade you to Catalina (only to find that half of your software that worked fine on Mojave works no longer). Might be quite frustrating for any organizations or individuals on Mojave using legacy mission critical software, having used that workaround to wait with updates until vetted when their users get reminded to upgrade to Catalina en masse (and many will, because the upgrade to Catalina button was more like spamware...).

But today, I wonder what the new Public Beta is about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back