Contribute
Register

Security update 2019-003 Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I ran the update last night and my Hack won't boot anymore. I'm using Clover and can choose between booting OSX or the reboot to finish the OSX update. Both end in the error message attached. Through Clover I can't use the boot options for safe mode, Recovery etc. At least pressing Shift or Cmd+R end in the same error screen. Booting Windows is no problem by the way.

Somehow I disabled the options to boot into Recovery in Clover. I don't know anymore how I did it once. Only booting OSX, resuming the update of OSX or Win10 are available. No other start volumes are displayed. :?:

I also tried my USB High Sierra installation drive, which always ends with the black screen and the white Apple logo which turns into an error symbol (circle with a forbidden bar across) after a few seconds. I hoped to reinstall High Sierra and would be good to go...

In Clover I disabled webdrivers for my NVIDIA GFX 1060 as well. No success. Any hints or thoughts anybody, please?

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_110157.jpg
    IMG_20190530_110157.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 112
I have the system up and running now for some days with reboots. GTX 1060 with the web drivers installed. Boots without display (as expected with nvidia) but as soon as Mac OS boots and loads the drivers the graphics work.

So, what did you do to get it up again?

When I take out my NVIDIA card I can boot the system. Graphics are flickering and the colors are off, but I can make changes to the system. First I deleted the Installer Folder in the root directory, so the security update will no longer be asked to be installed. But in the first run of the update, before the reboot, some changes must already have been written anywhere, because after restoring my backup EFI and re-installing the webdrivers the system hangs during boot up, as long as the graphics card is inserted. App Store shows me, that the security update is still available for download, so it isn't installed yet.

Unfortunately I did not make a proper backup before I ran the update.

I managed to re-install 10.13.6 (17G65, that is pre security updates) with my UniBeast USB drive. With onboard graphics I got rid of the flickering and colors are good again. As soon as I'm inserting my NVIDIA card, I get the error message about allocation of runtime area...

Aafter this or the 002 security update I couldn't get my 1060 graphics working either and am having tons of lag. I'm using whatever green and the latest webdrivers on 10.13.6. I'm thinking it's easier to get an AMD card at this point

I'm thinking it's easier to get an AMD card at this point

Yes, I did so. My Vega 64 just arrived today. I have put it in and can't boot either... Same hang while booting. It's frustrating. Booting with the iGPU works, but neither the GTX nor the Vega allow me to boot the system. I can't even use the USB installation drive. It spits out the same error message.

I'm fiddeling with my config with CloverConfigurator. But no success so far.

Last edited:
I had this issue as I had multiple OS X partitions for backup and versioning. I have a lot of hard disks.

In the end I disconnected every hard disk I had apart from the Mac OS X disk.

Whether this is your problem or not I can't tell from the description, so it may or may not help you.

After struggling with the previous security-update, the webdrivers and ended with the physical removing of my GTX-970 to get it installed, I tried another way with this update, which has worked for me. In order to prevent the physical removing of my GTX-970, I tried at first to edit the config.plst with the CloverConfigurator and after that to add some boot-parameters without any luck. So I used the Clover Boot-Options. I disabled the webdriver and the nvidia-GPU. Then I enabled my internal GPU of my mainboard. After that I was able to boot without the nvidia soft- & hardware.

I started the updates in the terminal with 'softwareupdate -i -a --restart' and after the downloads were done, I booted with clover the new UEFI install-boot-entry. After a short loading-screen, the install did a 2nd restart. I used the same boot-entry again and the update were installed. To finish the update, it needs a reboot with the regular boot-entry. When I was back in Clover, I redo my settings in the Clover Boot-Options, which I tested before (disabling webdriver+nvidiaGPU and enabling mainboard-GPU), before I chose the regular boot-entry. After the reboot into my regular dashboard with my mainboard-GPU to finish the update, I used Benjamin-Dobell's nvidia-update script in the terminal to install the latest working webdriver for this update. I did another reboot and I was now able to boot with activated webdriver and my GTX-970.

Aafter this or the 002 security update I couldn't get my 1060 graphics working either and am having tons of lag. I'm using whatever green and the latest webdrivers on 10.13.6. I'm thinking it's easier to get an AMD card at this point
Whoops I had nv_disable=1 and forgot I had that set. Everything working on 10.13.6 with my 1060.

My Hack Mini (the Z170 with GT740) crashes on reboot after the security update. Never had any problems with any updates before. I've attached a picture of the log that was displayed at the crash. Maybe someone can make sense of it. I have Clover and I'm going to see if I can do a recovery that way, but this is just plain weird. I guess I might have to do a clean reinstall. Is this all about the graphics cards?

Attachments

• IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 96
Hi all,

I got the following error screen when I tried the latest update: it ends with the black screen and the white Apple logo which turns into an error symbol (circle with a forbidden bar across) after a few seconds.

Just for the hell of it, I went into my bios setup and in going thru the settings found that the boot drive was changed from 'ahci'. So I switched the drive back to 'ahci and rebooted. Lo and behold, I got my system back.

I'm not touching that security update until it's proven to work and not switch the boot drive from 'ahci'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back