Contribute
Register

Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned above, I successfully updated from Terminal (3 reboots etc.). At first, I tried via the App Store and it failed.

After running the Security Update 2019-001, Clover no longer shows my boot drive as an option.
I can still boot from the other partitions/hard drives, but the “updated” drive doesn’t even show up in clover.

Any suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks,

— Mark

I fixed the problem. mistakenly I had both VirtualSMC and FakeSMC. After I remove VirtualSMC, it works. Although
I have to download softwareupdate by terminal. Thanks,

I just tried this update (App Store) and after the 3rd reboot I would get an apple logo and 100% loaded bar but no progress after an hour. I used time machine to get back to pre 2019-001 10.13.6 update.

Last edited:
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? ¯\(ツ)

The update won't take. I've run it from the app store and the standalone installer a half dozen times. All fail to take hold. At first, the Security Update appears to work (it reboots, shows the black screen with the white Apple and the "installing" progress bar, reboots several times, and returns to the desktop. The Security Update is even gone from the App store at first... HOWEVER it reappears after after the App store finishes checking for new "Updates".

My first guess as the cause (I was selecting the wrong partition in the Clover bootloader) didn't pan out.

But for review: when it reboots, my Clover bootloader shows two options:
  1. "Boot MacOS Install from MyHardDrive"
  2. "My HardDrive"
Does anyone know which one of these is the correct choice?

The installer defaults to the first choice, so I first tried letting the Security Update select #1 "Boot MacOS Install from MyHardDrive". But it became stuck in a reboot loop. Is that expected?

After 5 or 6 reboots, I manually chose #2 ("My HardDrive"). It then booted to the Desktop, but the Security Update reappeared in the App Store "Updates".

I also tried selecting #2 ("My HardDrive") from the start. That avoided the reboot loop, but the return to the desktop had the same result: the Security Update fails and reappears in the App store "Updates" section.

I even tried removing the #1 option from the Clover Bootloader screen by deleting the hidden files ".IAProductInfo" and the "macOS install Data" from the root directory. However, the Security Update recreated it, sending it back to square one.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? ¯\(ツ)

Thanks in advance for any ideas! :)

__

P.S. I've tried these updates on a standalone SSD drive, with all other drives disconnected. I'm up to date with the latest Clover bootloader (4871 IIRC). Lilu and WhateverGreen are up to date. FWIW my kexts and .efi drivers are:

My kexts:
AppleIntelIE1000e.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2..kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
realtekALC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

My Drivers64UEFI are:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi <-- this is new, and supposedly replaces the need for the apfs.efi file (which I deleted)
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
AudioDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

The other potential wrinkle I can think of is that I have an NVIDIA card that isn't natively supported natively by Apple. But usually this isn't a problem unless there's a version change, and even then it's usually just a temporary performance issue or it prevents the computer from booting up outright (until the drivers are updated). So it doesn't appear to be the culprit based on past experience.

Last edited:
I am trying in terminal using "software update -i -a" now.

iMac:~ Imac$ softwareupdate -i -a

Software Update Tool

Finding available software

Downloading Security Update 2019-001

Downloaded Security Update 2019-001

Installing Security Update 2019-001

Done.

You have installed one or more updates that requires that you restart your computer.

Please restart immediately.

To automate the restart process with softwareupdate(8), use --restart.

iMac:~ Imac$

Ok, I am back... Still the same deal, it basically hangs at the apple logo. Interesting thing is that this time when I went to do a restore it did show a few new timemachine snapshots with the newer versioning... Showing the process of what happens with pictures below. I restored back to the good snapshot of 17G66. Im half wondering if it's a nvidia driver deal that it's hanging on. Normally when I am booting my apple logo looks like 1080p and then eventually changes during the boot process to a smaller apple logo as if the Nvidia driver kicks in and adjusts the monitor/screen resolution properly. This never happens anymore after the security update. It just hangs at the apple logo in the default resolution.

IMG-1968.jpg

IMG-1970.jpg

IMG-1971.jpg

IMG-1972.jpg

Interestingly enough I was googling and found nvidia drivers for the new os update (17G5019).

Might be worth changing to default video drivers, reboot. Then try applying the update. If update works, next step would be to apply the below Web drivers... Though these drivers dont look like they apply to nvidia 900 or 1000 series cards. Thoughts??

Interestingly enough I was googling and found nvidia drivers for the new os update (17G5019).

Might be worth changing to default video drivers, reboot. Then try applying the update. If update works, next step would be to apply the below Web drivers... Though these drivers dont look like they apply to nvidia 900 or 1000 series cards. Thoughts??

Let us know how it turns out. And good luck!

I successfully updated with installer from Apple web site.
I used clover configurator to scan all entries and I started the upgrade.
Reboot.
Select macOS Install disk and boot. After little progress, reboot.
Select macOS Install disk (again) and boot. It took 7-8 minutes on SSD.
Reboot
Boot on High Sierra.
All fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back