Contribute
Register

Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6 and GTX 1080 woes and fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z87-a
CPU
I7-4770k
Graphics
GTX-1080
Let me start off by saying I thought this update would be simple... NOT So! I basically kept getting a reboot loop or a 100% looking progress bar below the black screen with the apple logo and nothing would ever happen. I knew it was tied to the video driver so I tried a few different methods and finally was successful using the below method.

TimeMachine, TimeMachine, TimeMachine! Don't waste hours of uninstalls and installs and with different driver installation methods! I literally bricked my box at least Half a dozen times before I realized using time machine would save me an insane amount of time! Time machine takes about 10 min to restore vs an hour on average to uninstall/reinstall update to the latest security update.

THIS METHOD REQUIRES YOU TO WIPE YOUR DATA/DRIVE! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

If I don't setup time machine backup on the newly erased machine it seems you can get your data back. (SKIP Step 15, enabling time machine). Once you enable TimeMachine on this new OS/machine it doesn't want to restore from the original time machine backup! So skip enabling time machine on the new machine until you have migrated everything from the original time machine backup using the migration wizard.

Ok, I am going to try and keep this as simple as I can.
  1. Take a time machine backup before performing anything!
  2. Create a USB bootable High Sierra installer using UniBeast.
  3. Set your UEFI USB drive as first boot option within BIOS to save you some time (you can change it to your HD after we are done).
  4. Boot into your Unibeast Installer selecting the USB drive.
  5. Erase your old HFS drive/APFS drive using DiskManager before installing MacOS.
  6. Once you have your hard drive erased exit Disk Manger and Install MacOS as you normally would.
  7. When asked for a username to create use "test" as the account or something other than your main account! (Trust me we will address this later).
  8. Once you get into your OS that is clean, DO NOT USE MULTIBEAST (Not yet).
  9. If your network card isn't already working, find your kext file online and install using KextBeast and then reboot.
  10. Launch AppStore, Select download all updates and Restart.
  11. Select the (Install "Hardrivename") as the boot disk after clover loads.
  12. Do Step 10 one more time.
  13. You should now select your HFS or APFS drive within clover (which ever format you decided to choose when you initially erased your drive).
  14. It will take a few minutes and then you will be in a pristine version with the update applied.
  15. (SKIP THIS STEP IF you plan to restore from your old Time Machine backup) Setup TimeMachine and backup if you aren't worried about restoring apps/data from your original time machine backup. MAKE SURE IT COMPLETES!
  16. Once TimeMachine completes, download the latest Nvidia Driver and install it and then reboot. NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce macOS Driver Release 387.10.10.10.40.118
  17. Use Multibeast and select your options for your particular hackintosh... IE: UEFI Boot, 1150 Sound driver, Nvidia Web Driver, SATA and USB etc...
  18. Reboot
You should now have a working Hackintosh with the latest Security Update with your Nvidia Card working and recognized. (If your lucky you will have sound too!...).

19. Use The migration wizard and restore your applications/settings etc using your original Time Machine backup I told you to take at the very beginning. It will ask you to import the username and ask for a password... If you used your original name that you wanted on your Mac and did not follow my steps to use "test" as your account name... You now find out why I told you to do that. It DOES NOT give you the option to overwrite your current account with the old account or restore over it!! What??!?! Why? Who knows...

If you did as I told you to do above you should now have all your apps etc working and you simply need to make your old "original" account an admin, login to that account and delete the test account.

You should now have a working Hackintosh or VERY close. Take another Time Machine backup, or your very first time machine backup depending if you needed to restore data.

If everything is working as intended, reboot and go into your BIOS and set your Hackintosh Drive as your boot drive and you are good to go.

I now can use Time Machine to restore to a working Security Patch system with everything good to go.

Hopefully this saves others with GTX based cards a whole heap of time! I tried uninstalling the Nvidia drivers first, trying to disable the Nvidia Web Inject etc and nothing seemed to work. This is the only way I was able to get good results consistently.

Last edited:
Since you took a time machine backup before performing the steps above, there is zero risk of trying this method. You can always go back to a known good using Time Machine if for some reason you get hung up.

If you open terminal and type in the below command you should see that you are now on the correct version 17G5019....

system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType

Take care.

Another trick to determine your version number is to open the "About this Mac" under the Apple Menu and then click on the Version number, e.g. for me, click "Version 10.13.6" under the large "macOS High Sierra" header. The version (for me, still 17G65) will then appear next to it.

Since you took a time machine backup before performing the steps above, there is zero risk of trying this method. You can always go back to a known good using Time Machine if for some reason you get hung up.

If you open terminal and type in the below command you should see that you are now on the correct version 17G5019....

system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType

Take care.

First, I very much appreciate that provided a very detailed solution. I will likely be following it in the next day or two when I find time.

However, I'm still left wondering why a full reinstall works where a simple update does not. Presumably there's something in our current systems that is causing the problem. The NVIDIA drivers are a leading suspect.

Also, I thought you mentioned something about sound drivers being a possible culprit (AppleHDA? I forget). At least I think that was you. If it was you, I meant to ask if you meant the AppleHDA "kexts to patch" found in the Clover Configurator section "Kernel and Kext Patches"; I assume so?). If so, did you try deleting those first?

I thought it was applehda.kext at first, but after a few more installs and different multibeast options I found that the applehda was not the cause and it was the multibeast option I selected that did not like working with the applehda. I've gone through so many iterations I forget exactly what was causing the error now. My hackintosh is working great now with the guide above. The main key to getting your data to import from the original time machine backup was to make sure you did not enable time machine on the new install.... No idea why this security update was such a pain, but it sure was! At least for me...

I fixed booting in single user and safe mode, exiting command line, downloading new Lilu, whatevergreen and AppleALC, copying to /L/E, installing new nividia drivers, rebuilding cache and rebooting.
All works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back