Contribute
Register

Security Update 2018-003 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
BreBo, thank you! I didn't realize I needed to boot into one of the "Install macOS from ..." choices, of which I think I had 2 at one point. Now that I did that the 2018-003 update has applied.

So I now have 3 choices in Clover:

1. Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot
2. Boot from Mac HD
3. Recovery

Last time I let the system boot from 1, and to my surprise it came up ok. I think I've used "Boot from Mac HD" previously all the time. When is this "Boot FileVault Prebooter" supposed to be used? Clover appears to have defaulted to it.

There was also "Boot Prebooter from Install macOS" option earlier during the 2018-003 update, which I apparently didn't know I needed to use. I was going to have the "Recovery" and "Prebooter" options hidden in the clover config, is that a bad idea?

Thank you

I'm having iMessage sync issues since updating. Only messages sent while the machine is on appear. When I force a sync, I get the "Downloading Messages from iCloud..." message in perpetuity. Any suggestions?
This was happening to me. I was trying to mess with it and ended up getting iCloud to split out weird messages of my HD not be properly formatted in APFS (which is was). I ended up reinstalling as I have everything backed up in a very elaborate but useful `.dotfile` repo, so it doesn't take me much to tear down and rebuild. It happened again in a clean install, but this time I just left it alone and it worked itself out. It might be useful to look at this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-imessage.110471/#TOP3.2; just in case you missed something in your settings.

Last time I let the system boot from 1, and to my surprise it came up ok. I think I've used "Boot from Mac HD" previously all the time. When is this "Boot FileVault Prebooter" supposed to be used? Clover appears to have defaulted to it.

Good question. I really don't know but I assume if you encrypt your drive; then it would be used. Just an semi-educated guess. I found this thread on ******; haven't read it yet, but it might answer your questions.
There was also "Boot Prebooter from Install macOS" option earlier during the 2018-003 update, which I apparently didn't know I needed to use. I was going to have the "Recovery" and "Prebooter" options hidden in the clover config, is that a bad idea?

That's what I do. You can then use F3 to show them when you need them. Refer to: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-hide-unwanted-volumes-on-clover-boot-menu.246532/

Last edited:
Hi,

I have tied to install the newest update a couple of time, but every time it fails. After a wile in to the install a window comes up with the text "the macos installation couldn't be completed".

I installed high sierra with clover boot and with hfs+ file system if that helps.

downloaded update, restarted, choose install Mac OS option from clover, then get this every time (see attched)

Ive tried a few peoples solutions on here. No luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Installer Log 8-Jan-2019.txt
    88.5 KB · Views: 86
Sorted mine guys.

Im not sure exactly how, so I'll just write everything I did. Hopefully it will help you.

-I rebooted numerous times (from install Mac OS in clover) as a few have suggested that eventually it sorts its self out. No luck
-I tried working my way from left to right in the clover boot options. pre boot - file vault - install Mac OS. No luck
I booted from file vault, and tried installing security update from there. No change.

I left it for a couple of days, just used my computer as normal (the only difference being when I switch it on I have to manually choose boot from Mac OS in clover)

-Today, while I was working, the "install now or later" box appeared in the top right corner of the screen again. I randomly just thought, I'll try it again. I hit 'install now', followed by download and restart. It downloaded, restarted on its own, booted from the install partition, restarted itself 2 or 3 times, each time booted from the install partition itself. Eventually when it was done, it restarted, but this time it booted from the FileVault partition by its self. Once booted it said the Nvidia web driver couldn't be used with this system.

I went to startup disk in system prefs and selected the only Mac OS partition in there. Restarted. It booted from the usual Mac OS partition.

Then I downloaded the correct web driver for the new build number. Installed. Restarted.

Done! Everything so far working correctly as it was.

Not exactly a 'solution' as such. But I hope this helps someone.

Thanks, B.

There are lots of problems with two recent Security updates on real Macs. This is probably not Hackintosh-specific anyhow.

For those of you having problems installing the 2018-003(17G4015) security update for 10.13.6(17G65)(you get a 'cannot complete install' message and a lengthy installer log), try this: download and apply the 10.13.6 Combo Update first and then apply the 2018-003 update. Yes, I know, this seems to be redundant and unnecessary to apply the 10.13.6 Combo updater to an existing 10.13.6 install, but this works particularly for those who are trying to update a new, clean install of 10.13.6. Those who are trying to apply the 2018-003 update to a 10.13.6 installation that has been updated using the Combo updater for 10.13.0-10.13.5 installs will not have this problem. But those starting from a newer 10.13.6 install are very likely to have this problem. Not sure why this works, but there are legions of IT folks out there who are having trouble with both the 2018-002 and the 2018-003 updates from Apple.

Update went quite smooth. A few graphical glitches after installation but I used Multibeast quickstart, reinstalled Network driver and Nvidia Web Drivers bootflag. Used the batch from Benjamin Dobell (https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update) and everything started working smooth again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back