Contribute
Register

Security Update 2018-003 High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated without problems but I noticed something strange. After restart the NVIDIA drivers worked aoutof the box. I did not have to install the newest version for this update. I check system preferences and I really updated to 2018-03.

The same thing happend to me with 2018-02, no need for a NVIDIA driver update. The NVIDIA utility in Settings says I am running 387.10.10.15.15.108 which makes no sense, the drivers is from 30.8.2018 according to the NVIDIA website. Checking for update in the utlity says no updates available. I never edited the drivers manually or used the nvidia-update script.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
I'm having trouble with this update's installer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My rig is a Intel Core i5-8600K, Asus ROG Strix Z370-H, Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Strix.
Everything but sleep/hybernation is working fine. I can still boot normally from the Clover boot screen, if I choose the right option.

Installer log is attached. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Attachments

• Installer Log 6-Dec-2018.txt
    93.8 KB · Views: 64
Anyone had an idea why I have this issue on shutdown.. It is pretty annoying :(. It still stuck on a black screen with mouse visible on shutdown (and possible to move) since the update. I have to force shutdown everytime

Anyone had an idea why I have this issue on shutdown.. It is pretty annoying :(. It still stuck on a black screen with mouse visible on shutdown (and possible to move) since the update. I have to force shutdown everytime
You have to choose the MacOS preboot option from the clover boot screen, that’s what the security update was trying to boot to after it starts the initial load from the App Store download, it’s looking for that boot partition at next start up. You have to manually choose it though.

I gathered that much from this post:
Every update including security updates in High Sierra have shown the option after first reboot to select "Install macOS..." in the Clover bootloader. This was also true in this last update, see my post at
#523. You must find and use the "Install macOS..." option in the Clover bootloader; and do NOT use "Install OS X..." at any time. When the option to install macOS is gone, you then boot from your updated drive in Clover bootloader.

Beforehand--and especially if you don't see the option to "Install macOS..." when you reboot--update your Clover to the latest issue (that's been especially important on this update). Make sure that every kext you use is the newest, including NvidiaGraphicsFixup (1.2.6) and Lilu (1.2.3), which you should be using regardless of smbios/blackscreen issues. Make sure the APFS driver is the latest. Added "hackintosh" kexts should NOT be in volume/System/Library/Extensions and in High Sierra likely not in volume/Library/Extensions either. They should be located in the EFI partition of your disk to be updated--found by mounting the EFI in Clover Configurator. The drivers go here, and the kexts go here into disk/EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other. Folders like "10.13" etc in /Kexts should be trashed.

Edit: When you reboot with the updater, I believe the option in Clover bootloader is called "Boot macOS Install from {your disk name}, but you don't want to choose "Boot OS X Install from {well...anything}.

I finally performed the update, no issue on this.. BUT STILL, when I reboot or shutdown, I am greeted by a black screen with mouse and it never goes off. I checked, and it is an issue that pops up now and then. I tried to add the "FixShutdown" to my config.plist, to move my "Darkwake=0" to just "Darkwake".. Without success.. I also tried whatevergreen, without success, still same issue and even worst with whatevergreen it went to 30fps on my 4k instead of 60.
If anyone faced this and has an idea, I will be glad to hear!

I finally performed the update, no issue on this.. BUT STILL, when I reboot or shutdown, I am greeted by a black screen with mouse and it never goes off. I checked, and it is an issue that pops up now and then. I tried to add the "FixShutdown" to my config.plist, to move my "Darkwake=0" to just "Darkwake".. Without success.. I also tried whatevergreen, without success, still same issue and even worst with whatevergreen it went to 30fps on my 4k instead of 60.
If anyone faced this and has an idea, I will be glad to hear!
@foxlive06 I suggest taking a look at Skylake builds here.

Make sure MATS and DMAR tables dropped--see pic

Pics from Clover Configurator setup for typical Skylake w/ NVIDIA, except for USB KextsToPatch you can add.

Make sure all drivers, kexts and Clover up to date. Make sure board UEFI (BIOS) is setup as before.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.00.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.02.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.03.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.05.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.53.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.52.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 3.00.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.45.31 PM.png

Last edited:
I tried with your config, still not working and still having this black screen and mouse on shutdown.

Here is my actual config.plist attached.

I am also linking a 'config_old.plist' which I was using before trying to fix this issue with the security update. It has been working fine for years and many updates.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.2 KB · Views: 107
  • config_old.plist
    5.8 KB · Views: 124
I tried with your config, still not working and still having this black screen and mouse on shutdown.

Here is my actual config.plist attached.

I am also linking a 'config_old.plist' which I was using before trying to fix this issue with the security update. It has been working fine for years and many updates.
I figured your clover config plist was not the issue since you were simply updating. From experience I'd say check your BIOS settings. My Gigabyte board's settings in the past have gotten off. Make sure you have all the drivers/kexts you need.

I just checked my bios; it is okay. I also tried to re-install properly my Nvidia driver. Still the same! I checked my kexts; there are ok too.

I am always super careful when updating my clover/kexts. I always install them, check if okay, and back up the all EFI folder. So it was working fine, then I started the security update and it ****ed my GUI reboot/shutdown (btw sudo reboot or sudo shutdown from terminal work...).
I see there is a post here of someone who has faced the SAME issue while applying a security update (not this one) > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-can-not-invoke-restart-or-shutdown-via-gui-anymore.249164/ . So I guess it is something that exists. Unfortunately, he solved it by re-install. I would be very mad to re-install just for this :( !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back