Contribute
Register

Security Update 2018-001 for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that is was a incorrect answer to another member.. I chimed in.

Have a BETTER! day mate. Try valium. ;)

Hello,

I have just installed the 2018-001 update for Sierra 10.12.06, following the advice of posts in this thread:
  1. Updated Clover to r4392,
  2. Updated Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to latest versions (1.2.2),
  3. Re-booted (everything working as expected).
  4. Installed the 2018-001 Security Update (together with the Safari 11.0.3 and other updates).
  5. Re-booted OK but NVIDIA Web drivers were out of date.
  6. Updated the NVIDIA Web drivers via the NVIDIA Web manager (got an error/failed installation at final validation stage).
  7. Re-booted OK and the NVIDIA Web manager reports that I am using the latest drivers (378.05.05.25f06) corresponding to my mac OS build (16G1212). I did not get any screen tearing/artifacts.
But now Mail, Safari, Maps and App Store applications have their windows empty/blank.
I can see the list of emails in my mailboxes but the preview pane (or if I open an email) remains desperately empty/blank.
Same goes with Safari where my tabs do not display the pages content !
Same behavior with Maps and with App Store applications.

I have since tried uninstaling the NVIDIA Web drivers and manager but nothing changed.
Trying to re-install the NVIDIA Web drivers I get the same error message at the end of the installation process:
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 01.30.40.png

Any ideas ?
Anyone with the same strange behavior after applying the security update ?

Thank you for your help.

02/06/2018 EDIT: The U-Turn ;-)

Seeing the mess created with all Apple applications (Mail, App Store, Safari, Maps, iTunes (Store)) I decided to remove the 2018-001 Security Update to be able again to enjoy a useful computer.:banghead:
From being badly burned by a previous failure that required me to do a complete re-install of OS X, I had learned the lesson and set-up TimeMachine (in addition to regularly cloning my startup disk to a USB stick !).
I was therefore able to Restore my whole system to just before the installation of the "cursed" update:
  1. At the Clover screen, I selected to boot the Recovery partition. I was greeted by the recovery utilities menu.
  2. Selected the "Restore from a TimeMachine Backup" option and continued to select the TimeMachine disk, and date and time of the backup to restore.
15 minutes later the machine re-booted and I was back into my working installation :cool:
It is worth mentioning that I did not revert the changes to the EFI partition. So Clover, the Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts are kept to their latest updates. I also updated the IntelMausiEthernet.kext to its 2.3.0 version for good measure.

Now all apps work as expected and I have not observed any issues... :shifty:

Last edited:
After many unsuccessful attempts to update I think I got it:
1. Updated VoodooHDA, Lilu, IntelGraphicsFixup, IntelMausiEthernet, USBInjectAll (the last two ones were just outdated, I don’t think that I needed to update those)
2. Updated Clover
3. Restart
4. Installed the update from the Installer that I downloaded from the Apple site....

Now everything works again :)

Thank you for posting all this information here

Edit: Intel HD630 Graphics, i5 7600K, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi

My mackintosh, crash during installation. reinstall all :(

hi,

After i installed the update i installed the new 378.05.05.25f06 nvidia webdriver.

And now my two monitors shows black screen.

1. Monitor - HDMI
2. Monitor - DVI

The only way to normal boot in the system is to disconnect the dvi monitor.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-05 um 14.52.46.png Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-05 um 14.52.54.png

Could anyone help?

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.5 KB · Views: 280
just applied the security update and lost my NUC6 with Sierra which was working pretty fine..
For a while I could login with -x but not anymore since I updated lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext with kextbeast.
Not sure what to do now? how could I update clover when I only can start in single user mode now?
Machine is freezing at "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3

Sierra 10.12.6 - After Security Update:

Booted to a black screen after Clover... Tried using Clover to access drive but no go. Luckily I have a clone of my boot drive albeit a 6+ month old version. Was able to boot using old clone and access current (Sierra 10.12.6) drive's EFI partition and updated the below.

The fix - EFI-->CLOVER-->kexts-->Other:
  • Replace Lilu.kext with the latest version
  • Replace NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext with the latest version
After reboot Nvidia web updater notifies there's a web graphic's driver update. Updated and rebooted! All good now!

OK, so the security update bricked my XPS 9560 that was running great. Still not working, but I got past the kernel panic by updating lilu.

So far, what I've done is:

Add
Code:
-liluoff
to boot arguments (after darkwake=0, etc)
System boots but no display, etc. I am able to ssh in and do anything via command line... so I used scp to copy updated versions of Lilu, AppleALC, IntelGraphicsFixup, NvidiaGraphicsFixup, CoreDisplayFixup, and USBInjectAll in /Volumes/NO NAME/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Then I updated kext cache with
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -u /

It still won't boot to desktop, but it doesn't kernel panic anymore. Am I missing something? Or do I need to update more kexts?

Here is everything I have in /Volumes/NO NAME/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/

Code:
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Apr 28  2017 ACPIBatteryManager.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Mar 31  2017 ACPISensors.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Dec 28 12:49 AppleALC.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Nov 19 13:34 AppleBacklightInjector.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Jun  4  2017 BrcmFirmwareData.kext.bak
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Jul  5  2016 BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.bak
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Mar 31  2017 CPUSensors.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 May  1  2017 CodecCommander.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Jan 18 08:35 CoreDisplayFixup.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 May 28  2017 FakePCIID.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Nov 19 13:34 FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 May 30  2017 FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Mar 31  2017 FakeSMC.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Mar 31  2017 GPUSensors.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Feb  4 09:19 IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Mar 31  2017 LPCSensors.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Jan 28 00:41 Lilu.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Jan  8 12:18 NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Nov 19 23:39 SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 USERNAME  staff  4096 Jan  2 17:33 USBInjectAll.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 USERNAME  staff  4096 May 24  2017 VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Looks like I'm still getting an error with the IGPU...

Any ideas? @RehabMan ?

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 162
just applied the security update and lost my NUC6 with Sierra which was working pretty fine..
For a while I could login with -x but not anymore since I updated lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext with kextbeast.
Not sure what to do now? how could I update clover when I only can start in single user mode now?
Machine is freezing at "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3

Found a way to restore my NUC6 after security patch. Boot with a Unibeast Sierra stick, add -liluoff and then boot my drive. I get into the desktop without accelerated graphics and sound. Install latest Clover and move IntelGraphics and RealtecALC kexts to desktop and install with kextbeast. Now working as before the security update!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back